Screen protector

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Has anyone applied/found a screen protector for the infotainment unit?
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I thought about this also. Probably a iPad mini or Galaxy Tab protector would be close.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone applied/found a screen protector for the infotainment unit?
I still have the factory one on there for now. It's not pretty, but I've thought about using some solution to reapply it and remove the air bubbles.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you go to any electronic store or even on amazon they have "Universal" screen covers which is basically just a sheet and you cut it to size.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I'm curious... are you wanting a screen protector out of habit, or because this is a known poor quality glass screen? I've been using android phones and tablets since the original "droid" in 2009 and have never used a screen protector (A case, yes, but not a screen protector). Scratching isn't really a problem unless you actually drop your phone face down on concrete, and even then, it's rare (in my experience at least - I've had several drops). I can't imagine anything that would happen inside of the car that would cause the need for a screen protector. Fingerprints haven't been a problem for me, and if they were - easy to wipe off.

Again, just curious, as the question surprised me in the first place.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm curious... are you wanting a screen protector out of habit, or because this is a known poor quality glass screen?
Partially habit, but I am also thinking about ordering one that will reduce fingerprints and glare. Also, I don't think the surface of this is as strong as most phones which use Gorilla glass. I assume it's plastic but I could be wrong. Plus most people will be keeping the car far longer than they keep their phone.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm curious... are you wanting a screen protector out of habit, or because this is a known poor quality glass screen? I've been using android phones and tablets since the original "droid" in 2009 and have never used a screen protector (A case, yes, but not a screen protector). Scratching isn't really a problem unless you actually drop your phone face down on concrete, and even then, it's rare (in my experience at least - I've had several drops). I can't imagine anything that would happen inside of the car that would cause the need for a screen protector. Fingerprints haven't been a problem for me, and if they were - easy to wipe off.

Again, just curious, as the question surprised me in the first place.
Well screen protectors help hide fingerprints a lot easier, which means less cleaning and less chances of scratching the unit while cleaning it. Also just for peace of mind if you were to scratch the Infotainment unit, you're stuck with that scratch for the life of the car not just 2 or 3 years when you're ready to get a new tablet or phone. Its just like people that want to put a clear bra on the car, you may never need it but the added peace of mind knowing you're adding an extra layer of protection from rocks and debris is worth the bra.

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Well screen protectors help hide fingerprints a lot easier, which means less cleaning and less chances of scratching the unit while cleaning it. Also just for peace of mind if you were to scratch the Infotainment unit, you're stuck with that scratch for the life of the car not just 2 or 3 years when you're ready to get a new tablet or phone. Its just like people that want to put a clear bra on the car, you may never need it but the added peace of mind knowing you're adding an extra layer of protection from rocks and debris is worth the bra.

I keep a microfiber cloth in my glove compartment. Cleans it up easily and nicely.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked out http://www.photodon.com/ to see what they have. They don't have a pre-cut one for the new Civic so I filled out their custom form. I traced the factory film onto a sheet of paper and wrote down measurements. I scanned it and sent them the information so hopefully they will have film for the new Civic as an option soon.

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Cool, let us know when they have it.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
The guy who did my clear bra on my hood and headlights, said he could do measurements and make me one and install it for 10 bucks. The same 3M material he did the clear bra with.
I do intend to do it eventually.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
As finicky as the touch screen is now, I wonder how another layer will affect the sensitivity.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As finicky as the touch screen is now, I wonder how another layer will affect the sensitivity.
Until today I had left the film from the factory on there and it was working fine. I would assume swapping out the film shouldn't change things too much. I still have the sensitivity set to low.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Until today I had left the film from the factory on there and it was working fine. I would assume swapping out the film shouldn't change things too much. I still have the sensitivity set to low.
Dealership took the thing off mine before it was delivered to me :(
Sponsored