First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted about this the first time it happened, but its done this now three times. The radio goes off and the screen turns completely black, won't respond to anything for several minutes. The speedometer also turns completely black with the exception of the little voice command icon that is on the steering wheel controls,the little face thing. The speedometer and tach pop right back up, but the center unit doesn't. Once the radio came back on but the screen stayed black still. It does this all by itself, while I'm driving for no reason.
It's going to Honda on Wed, but has anyone else had any of these issues?
Sponsored

Bugman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you do a search there has been issues with some touchscreens doing weird things. My wife's car recently would constantly beep at you as you drive even if you do a re-boot of the touchscreen or pull the fuse. Took it in and they updated the software to fix it. Others have had to have theirs replaced, but that was mostly on the early 2016 models.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have seen the tons of threads of the issues, just wanted to see if anyone had this exact issue cause I haven't seen anything about it specifically. Had the car for about eight months now, no issues with the infotainment system other than it sometimes tells me there's no device connected to the usb port when there is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I took it in to Honda today. They ended up keeping it. The tech said he thinks he knows what it is, some kind of control module , but for whatever reason he has to call Honda tomorrow.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after having it all yesterday and most of the day today, they have no clue what is wrong. I showed them two videos so they know that something is wrong, but they can't find it. All they did was a factory reset.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just be glad yours didn't spontaneously burst into flames and melt the dash to slag. That happened a while back to someone on here and Honda said it was their fault.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just be glad yours didn't spontaneously burst into flames and melt the dash to slag. That happened a while back to someone on here and Honda said it was their fault.
You know, its funny you mentioned that, i was just wondering about them yesterday , I couldn't find the thread for some reason to see whatever happened.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So today the whole system goes haywire, locked up, playing sources that weren't selected, you name it, so I immediately drove it over to Honda and they looked at it while it was in the process of screwing up. They said the usb slot in the console wasn't working right ,so I gotta take it in on Monday for them to year it all apart.
I've had issues from day one with it not recognizing that I had a drive connected but it only happened once in a while. I guess it's gotten worse. I know a lot of other guys had issues with that. I tried three different drives,and the tech tried his ,same results.

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, I would suggest they replace the radio all together! I was having somewhat similar issues with mine (radio would go black and do a complete restart when I plugged in my phone before starting the car). I took it to a dealership and they nor the engineers at Honda could figure out what was wrong so they just replaced the radio. The new radio worked fine for months until a couple weeks ago. I’m gonna hold on to it for a few more months before I report the issue again. My hopes is that they’ll replace the radio again with one that will have a newer software version on it. That’s just my method but I hope they get yours straightened out!

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, I would suggest they replace the radio all together! I was having somewhat similar issues with mine (radio would go black and do a complete restart when I plugged in my phone before starting the car). I took it to a dealership and they nor the engineers at Honda could figure out what was wrong so they just replaced the radio. The new radio worked fine for months until a couple weeks ago. I’m gonna hold on to it for a few more months before I report the issue again. My hopes is that they’ll replace the radio again with one that will have a newer software version on it. That’s just my method but I hope they get yours straightened out!
I'm not sure exactly what the issue is at this point and neither are they, I showed up there right before they were closing and they didn't have a loaner for me, so I set up an appointment for Monday. I'm just glad they now see there is an issue instead of the usual we cant replicate the problem speech I usually get, lol They did say say other day that my software was up to date.

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure exactly what the issue is at this point and neither are they, I showed up there right before they were closing and they didn't have a loaner for me, so I set up an appointment for Monday. I'm just glad they now see there is an issue instead of the usual we cant replicate the problem speech I usually get, lol They did say say other day that my software was up to date.
Please keep us posted on what they find might be the issue or what they do to correct it!

briandn12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2017
This has been happening to me exactly OP and I’m not pleased. The first time was while driving, they said it was a “loose terminal”, 2nd happened on a startup which failed and my car couldn’t even shift gears so needed a mechanic brought to the site..again, “loose terminal”..third time happened again while driving.

I don’t like everything but my engine randomly shutting off while going 70 mph on a highway.

Honda is giving me no additional reasons.

3rd time happened today and I’m super frustrated. EXL Navi hatch: they can’t get the keyless entry to rework, mega roof rattles and now this :/
Sponsored