ScratchesHappen.com Sonic Grey Peal Paint Review

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I’ve been meaning to discuss my experience with finding a good color match paint for Honda’s SGP for awhile now. As us owners of this color know, it’s tough to find a solid match. Even Honda’s own paint pens are off at times. I spoke to a professional shop who showed me how many variations of this color Honda produced and it’s, uhh, questionable how many there is.

Last year, I clipped my front bumper on my garage and caused some gnarly damage. The OEM bumper cover just fractures at the slightest bit of collision. A local shop quoted me at $1500 paint match a new front bumper and I revolted. They told too told me the pearl grey is a bitch to match and they’d likely need to blend the fenders or it would be off. My car in particular has a shitload of flakes the fender, to it was going to be almost certain to need blending.

I decided I’d rather do it on the cheap myself. I had no experience in body work, but I’m not stranger to painting as a trained fine artist. I was sure I could do a well enough job with rattle cans. Couldn’t be that hard.

Turns out it was really fucking hard. My initial attempt to get the color mixed had too little pearl and was practically powder blue. My second attempt was too much pearl and reflected very green. My third attempt to paint it was closer, but too dark, and at this point I lost patience and decided to just go forward with it. You can see below my number is visibly darker and lacking pearl of the fenders. In direct light is was visible, but you could hardly see a difference at other angles.

Honda Civic 10th gen ScratchesHappen.com Sonic Grey Peal Paint Review 77AC97A2-2DC6-49D4-AD35-A357D81AACDA

After awhile, I just couldn’t deal with the paint being off. I had to install my new intercooler, so I decided to try painting it again. This time I ordered a few pre-mixed cans from different sellers online: Harpy, Touch Up Direct, and Scratches Happen.

I tested them all out to see which was the better match. Harpy was a single stage and not remotely a close enough match. TUD was water based and had a really well matched base color, but not enough pearl. This would be more suitable for small jobs. As soon as I opened the box from Scratches Happen, I knew this was gonna be good. I could see the pearl flakes swirled on the cap from when they pumped it into the can. This was the most expensive of the options, but it also came the fastest and produced the best test. It’s also water based, but had way more pearl.

I decided to use this to paint my bumper and clear it with Spraymax 2K gloss. The paint goes in so smooth and flat. The nozzles do not drip and spit. Literally not once. I actually ran out of 2K to finish the job, but thankfully I ordered the kit from Scratches Happen that included their own clear coat. I didn’t expect much, but it was surprisingly good. Maybe just one step below Spraymax. I followed the job up with a cut & buff. The results were excellent.

Honda Civic 10th gen ScratchesHappen.com Sonic Grey Peal Paint Review 9FE730DA-DB93-4E27-9B76-4033F0B3AD16

The finish looks OE. The pearl match isn’t quite perfect, but it’s a good middle ground and you can’t see the difference unless your face is 5 inches away from the car. It initially looked a bit darker, but lightened over a few weeks of sun exposure to look just like the original paint. You would never know this was a rattle can job.

If you have DIY projects that need a paint match on this color I can’t recommend this enough. I have some left and I’m thinking about painting my valve cover with it.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel you fam It’s a bitch to do ??

Used the touch up direct rattle can clear coat combo with a good polish didn’t come out as bad as I thought. You can kinda tell it’s not oem when it’s dirty and you’re just staring at it for awhile lol. Wish the clear coat was a little bit better or at least came with the big tip that sprays like crazy (idk what it’s called sorry) but you get what you pay

Wish I had more pictures of the finished product but that’s the only one I have without a filter :/
Honda Civic 10th gen ScratchesHappen.com Sonic Grey Peal Paint Review 5054950D-5712-440C-A3E0-52E96B53FDB7

Honda Civic 10th gen ScratchesHappen.com Sonic Grey Peal Paint Review D2483473-53D0-4780-B3ED-BF79201F44B2

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I feel you fam It’s a bitch to do ??

Used the touch up direct rattle can clear coat combo with a good polish didn’t come out as bad as I thought. You can kinda tell it’s not oem when it’s dirty and you’re just staring at it for awhile lol. Wish the clear coat was a little bit better or at least came with the big tip that sprays like crazy (idk what it’s called sorry) but you get what you pay

Wish I had more pictures of the finished product but that’s the only one I have without a filter :/
5054950D-5712-440C-A3E0-52E96B53FDB7.jpeg

D2483473-53D0-4780-B3ED-BF79201F44B2.jpeg
Nice work! Yeah the TUD can sprays really nice. Getting it to go on flat and even is a breeze. It’s sad their color doesn’t quite match, but if someone needed to do a few scuffs or scratches, it’s more than adequate. I never even heard of Scratches Happen, but if I used them from the get go I would have save so much time and money. If they can match sonic pearl grey this well, their other colors must be absolutely perfect.