Scratched back up camera lens: ways to fix?

NorthHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey everyone!

I just picked up my new (used) 2017 Civic Sport Hatchback today. My wife and I had a lot of excitement leading up to picking up the car but the dealer experience (non Honda store) left a really sour taste in our mouths :/ (I’ll save that story for another day...)

After going through all the features in detail, I noticed the rear camera was blurry, so upon further inspection it looks like it was due to improper cleaning of the lens that left scratches on it. They don’t seem too deep though.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience/suggestions for buffing our the scratches on the lens? I’ve seen some suggestions ranging from toothpaste, to baking powder, to car compound, using a micro fibre cloth. I just wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience here before I messed up on day two of the Civic ownership.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Hey everyone!

I just picked up my new (used) 2017 Civic Sport Hatchback today. My wife and I had a lot of excitement leading up to picking up the car but the dealer experience (non Honda store) left a really sour taste in our mouths :/ (I’ll save that story for another day...)

After going through all the features in detail, I noticed the rear camera was blurry, so upon further inspection it looks like it was due to improper cleaning of the lens that left scratches on it. They don’t seem too deep though.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience/suggestions for buffing our the scratches on the lens? I’ve seen some suggestions ranging from toothpaste, to baking powder, to car compound, using a micro fibre cloth. I just wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience here before I messed up on day two of the Civic ownership.

Thanks in advance!
I've read on here that some people have had success using toothpaste, but something like Meguiar's PlastX or similar seem to work better.

If it's already scratched, you have nothing to lose by trying. Just be sure to use a soft microfiber towel and make sure no sand/dirt is on it or you may scratch more.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance!
Go back to the dealer and tell them about it and they should fix it for you. Certified used insures that all safety features are in working condition when the vehicle is purchased.

Edit: oh its not a honda dealer. Yeah you might have to fix yourself

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NuFinish Scratch remover works wonders. Just be patient, it takes a lot of rubbing to make a difference.