Scraping sound from rear wheels (2017 EX)

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Recently, I noticed when when I start my car and start driving I hear this scraping sound from the back wheels. It seems to sync with each wheel rotation. When I hit the brakes the sound goes away. When I drive in reverse the sound also goes away. The longer I use the car the softer the noise gets to the point where it's either not there at all or no longer audible to me. What could this possibly be?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: For anyone just seeing this. The sound is exactly the same as the one in this ChrisFix video here at 3:49
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Sounds like the brake pad wear indicator telling you that you need new brakes.
Why does the sound go away over time? When I leave my parking lot at work doing 20-30km/h i hear it. But by the time I get home and do the same speed on my street the sound is completely gone.

EDIT: Also, the noise sounds more like metal scraping against metal and not squealing.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I guess the metal indicator expands when it gets hot and pulls away? Not sure exactly.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wear indicator, OR rust on rotors that rubs off as you drive - common in the North or Rustbelt. outside chance a slightly sticking caliper, also common...

OP
OP

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Wear indicator, OR rust on rotors that rubs off as you drive - common in the North or Rustbelt. outside chance a slightly sticking caliper, also common...
So I looked at the rotors through the rim. Both of the front rotors are silver/aluminum with no sign of rusting. Both of my back rotors show signs of rust. If this is the case, is there any reason why both of them would start to show wear before the fronts?

EDIT: Just a note, my car is used but only has 38,000KM on it and I got it from the dealership. Isn't this kind of early for brakes to wear out?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
It’s just a bit of surface rust, and your brake pads are probably slightly out of position. So they rub at the one spot the two meet, until the rust gets rubbed away. You should hear my wife’s new Golf when you first drive it! Sounds like the pads are completely gone!

After the first year I had my Civic, I remarked to them about lines around the rear rotors, and how brakes shouldn’t wear out so quickly. They said Honda recommended a brake service every year, At any rate, they turned my rear rotors, and I haven’t had any issues with them since.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
+1 for surface rust. It happens to me when I leave the parking brake on after driving in the rain or after parking overnight during very humid conditions. It's usually gone before I leave my neighborhood.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or you could also have warped rotors from the former owner. Let's face it, dealers say they do some crazy multi point inspection on used vehicles but most of the time that is bs. Might want to take it to a brake shop and have them check. I've seen a lot more people double footing their cars these days.
Sponsored