Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Been off for a while so i know its an old post however I was concerned about this issue and was planning putting the new Mobil 1 0-16 oil not sure i need it now thanks for a very informative post
You wanted to use 0W16 oil to remediate the oil dilution?
Sponsored

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You wanted to use 0W16 oil to remediate the oil dilution?
Possibly I don't have a problem yet the car only has 45000 on it, Talked to Honda dealership I bought car from they say no worries I live in Carolina doesn't really get cold enough here but he also told me its standard on the new Toyotas so I'm still undecided don't want to hose my motor

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
Possibly I don't have a problem yet the car only has 45000 on it, Talked to Honda dealership I bought car from they say no worries I live in Carolina doesn't really get cold enough here but he also told me its standard on the new Toyotas so I'm still undecided don't want to hose my motor
i see zero logic in using a thinner oil

why in the world would you want to go to 0W16 from 0W20?

makes no sense,

just use the recommended oil

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i see zero logic in using a thinner oil

why in the world would you want to go to 0W16 from 0W20?

makes no sense,

just use the recommended oil
Thats what I said however the molecular structure of this new oil is different and is made for GDI engines from what I read for months now and btw my ride is in the same condition as the day I purchased it because I take very good care of it never take chances unless I'm absolutely sure there are 0 negatives but thanks for your input ?

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
Thats what I said however the molecular structure of this new oil is different and is made for GDI engines
that is just a marketing ploy to sell more oil,

i wouldn't believe any of that nonsense,

a certain type of oil is not going to cure an oil dilution problem,

its not the oil that is causing the problem in the first place,

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
that is just a marketing ploy to sell more oil,

i wouldn't believe any of that nonsense,

a certain type of oil is not going to cure an oil dilution problem,

its not the oil that is causing the problem in the first place,
The oil might affect oil dilution, but the chance is that a lighter oil will actually make it worse.

How? By lowering the vapor pressure of the lighter components of the fuel in the oil+fuel mixture. If you pour the same amount of gasoline in oil A and in oil B, the vapor pressure over oil A mixture will not necessarily be the same as over the oil B mixture. If there are components in oil B that have a signifficant affinity (attractive interaction) with gasoline components, the vapor pressure will be suppressed. This will cause a slower evaporation of the fuel and increase oil dilution.

Low viscosity ("light") oils would naturally have higher volatiliy than "heavy" oils. One of the main difficulties with engineering a good low viscosity oil is to keep its volatility (and flashpoint) in check. But suppressing the volatility of the oil may also suppress the volatilty of the fuel that gets in it.

The only reason to use a very low viscosity oil is to save on fuel. I would (and I actually do) use a heavier oil to limit fuel dilution. Gasoline should evaporate faster from a heavier oil.

julieyankfan

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I was reading this post and hope you don't mind me asking a question. I have a 2018 EX-T I just bought this summer. I live in Florida and drive short distances. Sometime I do take it out on the highway to give it some exercise! I've had two oil changes at the dealer because of high levels and the smell of gas on the dipstick. The mechanic at the dealer said the car is fine, but of course he's going to say that. I've watched the Scotty videos and I'm worried this car will start having problems. I only have 13,000miles on it. I'm thinking of trading it in on a 2.0L but like the pick up on the turbo. I really love this car. Love the color, the interior and it has Android Auto. I'm coming off of two Mustangs and this is a pleasant change.
Do I keep it or trade it????:dunno:

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had two oil changes at the dealer because of high levels and the smell of gas on the dipstick. The mechanic at the dealer said the car is fine, but of course he's going to say that.
...and so will everybody on this forum with a 1.5t engine.

Seriously though, enjoy your car...drive it hard.
The engine likely won't last 200K miles like the older civic but who care by then we will have awesome electric cars with 3 cylinder turbo engines and CVT and stuff...future is exciting i can't wait!

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
I'm thinking of trading it in on a 2.0L but like the pick up on the turbo. I really love this car.
it depends how long you plan on keeping the car,

the 2.0L is a proven work horse, it will outlast the 1.5L by a long shot, no question about that

if your looking to keep the car long term, then you want a 2.0L

that is the reason i bought a 2.0L, because i plan on having this car its entire life, 10-15 years or more

if your buying a new car every 5 years, then it won't matter

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I was reading this post and hope you don't mind me asking a question. I have a 2018 EX-T I just bought this summer. I live in Florida and drive short distances. Sometime I do take it out on the highway to give it some exercise! I've had two oil changes at the dealer because of high levels and the smell of gas on the dipstick. The mechanic at the dealer said the car is fine, but of course he's going to say that. I've watched the Scotty videos and I'm worried this car will start having problems. I only have 13,000miles on it. I'm thinking of trading it in on a 2.0L but like the pick up on the turbo. I really love this car. Love the color, the interior and it has Android Auto. I'm coming off of two Mustangs and this is a pleasant change.
Do I keep it or trade it????:dunno:
I have the same car you have I bought it new in 2018 it has now 38k
for the two years I’ve owned it theres no problems but I do a lot of highway. I asked the service guy at Honda about the recall letter
he told me being in Florida which is warmer climate these engine shouldn’t have a problem then added he didn’t see the problem down here btw I live in Charlotte county

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
He just needs to be a little clearer that he is talking about gdi specifically and not all earth dream technology engines. Because he keeps saying stay away from earth dream technology engines. I bought the 2.0 earth dreams I-vtec and I bought my girlfriend the 1.5 earth dreams turbo. Mine is port injected while hers is direct injected. Also on my engine the fuel rail and injectors are on the back, not on the top. Also the 1.5 turbo is not a I-vtec motor like the 2.0. I took some pictures for anybody to see. We will start with my 2.0
A250EFE4-61E4-4DB3-A6B9-3BE29CB06CC0.jpeg
D8EDFB7F-CC4F-4317-B9CB-C322B073B28B.jpeg
96B2D73C-C7C9-4A09-9D6A-A8A3B9CBA387.jpeg
as you can see it is an earth dreams I-vtec and there is clearly a fuel rail and injectors on the back because this engine is port injected. Now let’s look at the 1.5 turbo
76A463FF-4655-401A-9657-7FE73B565999.jpeg
89605743-7413-4391-86BE-C389EE0AFAC0.jpeg
CB6EE2EC-4155-4FA9-AB9E-49DB28EFA11F.jpeg
EC86244C-BFBE-4A98-B7D9-D9F1585BD619.jpeg
as you can see the back has no fuel rail or injectors. You do see the fuel line going to that big piece that he was talking about on the video.That because this engine does have gdi. You also notice it only says turbo on the 1.5. That’s because it is not an I-vtec. The last two pictures are a comparison of my engine and my girlfriend’s engine on the side that big piece he was talking about. You will see there is nothing there on mine
B5DDB867-B6C2-4D99-9702-6EA7F5D0F7CD.jpeg
and you will see it is there on my girlfriends 1.5
584FA4BF-9B3A-44F6-8026-0D68EEC18A0C.jpeg
I hope this helps clear things up a bit. Yes the man is smart about engines. But in this case he needs to not mention earth dreams technology over and over and just say gdi. Because not all earth dream engines are direct injected

Yeah, you're right about Scotty needing to clarify. But in this newer video he corrects himself and talks about the 2.0L NA engines specifically being better than the 1.5L Turbo in terms of reliability in the long run.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
in this newer video he corrects himself and talks about the 2.0L NA engines specifically being better than the 1.5L Turbo in terms of reliability in the long run.
of course they are better
Sponsored