Scotty Kilmer on oil dilution

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
not if you keep up on maintenance!! im just saying i dont see why people are shit talking him man. hes very educated!
who said he wasn't educated? you do understand even educated people can suffer mental degradation with age, I used to watch him years ago, something changed in recent years, when I say he's crazy, I mean that, I mean something broke in his brain and he's gone all anti-technology and makes videos about the evils of modern cars. seriously go back in his channel and watch several of his early videos from more then 5 years ago then watch a current video, you will see the shift in his personality and it's not just old mechanic doesn't wanna learn to work on new cars, something happened, either a stroke or some other event that effected his brain.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're defending Scotty these days I can't really trust your opinion. A mechanic of 30 years using information about DI cars from 10 years to trash modern DI is laughable. Does he or you have any idea what honda has done to limit dilution and buildup on the valves? He may very well have been a wonderful mechanic, but he appears to be well past his expiration date. Good on him for making that money off his youtube though.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If you're defending Scotty these days I can't really trust your opinion. A mechanic of 30 years using information about DI cars from 10 years to trash modern DI is laughable. Does he or you have any idea what honda has done to limit dilution and buildup on the valves? He may very well have been a wonderful mechanic, but he appears to be well past his expiration date. Good on him for making that money off his youtube though.
And who exactly has any idea of how whatever Honda did would work, other than "wait and see"? You do?

Here is a guy (who is a VW fan) discovering carbon junk in his 2019 Golf including on fuel injectors after only 10 kmiles, and cleaning it. This is not an old story. DI as executed by VW is utter junk in my humble opinion. I would never buy VW DI. I don't want to clean my cylinders every 10 kmiles, or even at 50 kmiles. Scotty's fears about what you call "modern DI" are well founded. What's laughable, is a blind trust in "[any famous carmaker] engineers." I do trust Honda as far as building engines goes, and that's why I bought this car. But you can't require this level of trust in anyone who is not a fan.

Last edited:

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
ffr gttr

And who exactly has any idea of how whatever Honda did would work, other than "wait and see"? You do?

Here is a guy (who is a VW fan) discovering carbon junk in his 2019 Golf including on fuel injectors after only 10 kmiles, and cleaning it. This is not an old story. DI as executed by VW is utter junk in my humble opinion. I would never buy VW DI. I don't want to clean my cylinders every 10 kmiles, or even at 50 kmiles. Scotty's fears about what you call "modern DI" are well founded. What's laughable, is a blind trust in "[any famous carmaker] engineers." I do trust Honda as far as building engines goes, and that's why I bought this car. But you can't require this level of trust in anyone who is not a fan.

Thanks a lot for sharing this very interesting vidéo ? Well I am very happy to have port injection on my Civic ?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The car has been out 5 years. There are tons of these things over 100k easily and have you seen or heard any widespread issues with carbon buildup? I sure haven't. And what does showing us a VW have to do with anything related to honda? Honda put out a video in 16 about how they were mitigating the issue. The designed the system to tumble the fuel and hit the back of the valves to clean them.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car has been out 5 years. There are tons of these things over 100k easily and have you seen or heard any widespread issues with carbon buildup? I sure haven't. And what does showing us a VW have to do with anything related to honda? Honda put out a video in 16 about how they were mitigating the issue. The designed the system to tumble the fuel and hit the back of the valves to clean them.
So you really want Scotty and people like him to love "modern DI" and spread their love on youtube based on a 2016 Honda video? Really?:hmm: I don't.

Now I'm 100% happy with my powertrain and wouldn't exchange it for anything else in the price range. I see oil dilution, but I have no "oil dilution problem" whatsoever. I hoped for no unusual carbon buildup and I still do.

But you can't require everybody else to just blindly trust Honda like me. DI is a somewhat problematic technology with not all that much proven benefit so far vs. cost and complexity.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you really want Scotty and people like him to love "modern DI" and spread their love on youtube based on a 2016 Honda video? Really?:hmm: I don't.

Now I'm 100% happy with my powertrain and wouldn't exchange it for anything else in the price range. I see oil dilution, but I have no "oil dilution problem" whatsoever. I hoped for no unusual carbon buildup and I still do.

But you can't require everybody else to just blindly trust Honda like me. DI is a somewhat problematic technology with not all that much proven benefit so far vs. cost and complexity.
Scotty can do what he wants to get his views and $ from those videos. He isnt some bastion of the modern car community to hold in high regard. I look at him like I do most youtubers, they are just influencers who care more about putting out content than the actual content itself.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Scotty can do what he wants to get his views and $ from those videos. He isnt some bastion of the modern car community to hold in high regard. I look at him like I do most youtubers, they are just influencers who care more about putting out content than the actual content itself.
So, is Scotty a dumb half-brain old guy after a devastating stroke, whose knowledge, if there ever was any, has expired long time ago, or....... a shrewd :cool: "influencer" who is making a fortune in a very "modern" way and laughing at the suckers all the way to the bank, instead of being stuck in grease to his elbows all his life, like those dumber mechanics working for measly wages are? Or...... both????o_O

Type S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport CVT
Country flag
Upon shutdown, the water continues to circulate past all the critical components and bearings that are white-hot from driving.
How can water (coolant) circulate after the engine is shut off?

Do these cars have an electric-powered water pump?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
How can water (coolant) circulate after the engine is shut off?
https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin...-a-turbocharger/water-cooling-for-your-turbo/

Garrett Turbochargers said:
The physical process of turbocharger water-cooling is an interesting one and works in a different way than what might seem obvious. It is true that during normal engine operation water flows through the turbocharger mostly due to pressure created by the engine’s water pump. However, an additional phenomenon known as “thermal siphoning” pulls water through the turbo’s center housing if the water lines are properly routed, even after the engine is shut off and the water pump is no longer pumping.

Heat in the center housing is transferred to the water via conduction, like the cooling effect that occurs inside a typical water-cooled engine (with a water jacket surrounding each cylinder and running through the cylinder head). If the water running through a turbocharger is allowed to escape freely after absorbing heat, it will rise through the cooling system pulling cooler water into the turbocharger along with it. In this way, the intense heat that has soaked back into the turbo after engine shutdown is wicked away from the bearings and seals, and prevented from causing serious damage without assistance from the engine’s water pump.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I re-watched Scotty's comments just to see where he stands on the issue. Even back then he wasn't terribly wrong, despite the misleading title.

My take is that he's amassed a strong mechanical foundation and, like any 3rd party mechanic, learns as he goes on the more modern powertrains. For that reason, I put more weight behind his opinions dealing with cars that are 10-15+ years old.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone thought Scotty was ever claiming experience repairing broken 10th gen civics, in particular those with engines worn down because of oil dilution?:p Because people around Houston have been bringin'em to him since 2016 in droves? :rofl:

Of course his opinion is just that, and it is based on his past experience. He has seen many newfangled half-baked things on cars... And in the end, he is obviously in general agreement with a large crowd of people, including many car enthusiasts, who prefer to keep away from DI/turbo. There is really no point in getting DI/turbo for commuting, because today's NA and port injected cars will bring about the same gas mileage and a sense of peace of mind. And, you can cut your oil changing effort/expense in half or better.

While the Honda DI/turbo is doing quite well, I wouldn't need to wait for the AC to actually break down, to tell you that buying an auto AC based on the new yf refrigerant and designed before 2015 would be generally a gamble, and in this case Honda's reputation would rather work against them. But what could I do? I didn't buy this car for the AC.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Just my $0.02, Scotty really does make it seem like the sky is falling when it comes to the Honda 1.5T. There are tons of these cars sold and driven yet the road isn't littered with dead Civics as one would be lead to believe would happen if you take Scotty's word for it. He constantly warns against buying 1.5T equipped Hondas. The memes about Scotty being a luddite are based on the truth. He hates new things.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
Just my $0.02, Scotty really does make it seem like the sky is falling when it comes to the Honda 1.5T. There are tons of these cars sold and driven yet the road isn't littered with dead Civics as one would be lead to believe would happen if you take Scotty's word for it. He constantly warns against buying 1.5T equipped Hondas. The memes about Scotty being a luddite are based on the truth. He hates new things.
From the videos I've seen him talking about the subject, it's not specifically Honda. He says in general, car companies are being pressured moving towards small 1.5L turbo direct injected engines because of government mandated fuel efficiency gains. While you get a little better gas mileage, he says it's at the cost of small little 1.5L engines being overly strained by both a turbo and GDI. All that strain on that little 1.5L engine from the turbo and GDI, assuming most people don't drive like old people, will decrease the engine life a lot faster along with oil dilution (remember, not specifically Hondas but in general) insidiously wearing the engine long after the warranty has expired.

So to clarify, it is NOT GDI specifically. It is a combination of a small 1.5L engine + turbo + GDI that will wear the engine down a lot faster than say a regular 2.0L NA engine with port injection. He already mentioned that the oil dilution was addressed by Honda by extending the warranty by 1 year, a software fix, and there's also a 0W16 oil made specifically for GDI engines. I hope this clears things up for some people.
Sponsored