Scotty Kilmer on oil dilution

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
So the word around here seems to be to not idle your engine long before driving. Mr 51 years of experience says otherwise.

What's the final word?

Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I use ktuner to monitor ECT, I wait until it reaches 40ÂşC and start driving carefully to not force the engine but it can warm up faster.

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use ktuner to monitor ECT, I wait until it reaches 40ÂşC and start driving carefully to not force the engine but it can warm up faster.
Slightly off-topic, I’d like to ask a potentialy ignorent question: what is inherent in the 1.5 liter engine that makes it prone to oil dilution? Why doesn’t the 2.0 (Type R/Accord) seem to be afflicted?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Slightly off-topic, I’d like to ask a potentialy ignorent question: what is inherent in the 1.5 liter engine that makes it prone to oil dilution? Why doesn’t the 2.0 (Type R/Accord) seem to be afflicted?
Primarily because the 1.5 Is direct injection, the 2.0 isn't. Mr "I know everything" is out to lunch on this one, to warm up the engine & transmission properly, start the vehicle, let the idle drop to its first drop point, then drive off gently, especially in a Turbocharged engine, every thing warms up properly and evenly it should, as soon as you have oil pressure, gentle driving until the coolant temp shows normal is just fine, getting oil up to full operating temp usually takes 15-20 minutes.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I also do this. I usually wait about 60 seconds or 100 F on ECT before I begin driving (the car's idle will adjust; or if you're more techy the AFR on the Type R's will not be a constant 14.7 anymore - it'll start fluctuating). Even then, I am light on the throttle and try stay out of boost until temps get up to about 160F for ECT. Even then, you'll have to remember that engine oil and transmission fluid take longer to warm up than coolant.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Scotty is a hack. Just drive your car sanely until it reaches operating temp. Sitting and idling is probably worse for fuel dilution as your car will take longer to get to operating temp than by just driving it. The real problem from what I have read isn't the warm up time, it's not driving your car far enough for it to run enough at operating temps for any gas that has bypassed the pistons to get burned off. Short, couple mile trips aren't going to do it.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Primarily because the 1.5 Is direct injection, the 2.0 isn't. Mr "I know everything" is out to lunch on this one, to warm up the engine & transmission properly, start the vehicle, let the idle drop to its first drop point, then drive off gently, especially in a Turbocharged engine, every thing warms up properly and evenly it should, as soon as you have oil pressure, gentle driving until the coolant temp shows normal is just fine, getting oil up to full operating temp usually takes 15-20 minutes.
You obviously do not know what you are talking about :rant:;)
This is mosty a software problem where too much fuel is injected upon cold start-up.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
You obviously do not know what you are talking about :rant:;)
This is mosty a software problem where too much fuel is injected upon cold start-up.
Understand the software issue, that's what the TSB addresses, along with several other related problems, what I was referring to was letting ANY car sit and idle until it's "warmed up" is not good protocol, 60-90 seconds and then gently driving until both engine & transmission are at operational temperature is far better and easier on both than any extended engine-only warmup. As soon as oil pressure is "up", driving warms up everything faster & more uniformly. A while back, when engines had carburetors & chokes, even the pull-offs still let the engine idle with an over-rich mixture which I'm sure caused cylinder wash-down and I'm sure, resulting oil dilution, which the motor oils of the period were far less able to cope with, probably why OCI's were much shorter.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the 2.0 (type r/accord) is direct injected .. :bonk:

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Understand the software issue, that's what the TSB addresses, along with several other related problems, what I was referring to was letting ANY car sit and idle until it's "warmed up" is not good protocol, 60-90 seconds and then gently driving until both engine & transmission are at operational temperature is far better and easier on both than any extended engine-only warmup. As soon as oil pressure is "up", driving warms up everything faster & more uniformly. A while back, when engines had carburetors & chokes, even the pull-offs still let the engine idle with an over-rich mixture which I'm sure caused cylinder wash-down and I'm sure, resulting oil dilution, which the motor oils of the period were far less able to cope with, probably why OCI's were much shorter.
I let my car idle for about 20 minutes when it's cold before I drive and I have not had any problems with my oil.
And not sure what your talking about idling carburetor engines because I have idled the older cars for an hour or more and never hurt any of the ones I owned

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So many 1.5T breaking down now from fuel in the oil. Fkn blah, blah, blah. There are plenty out there with over 100k miles.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
So many 1.5T breaking down now from fuel in the oil. Fkn blah, blah, blah. There are plenty out there with over 100k miles.
If it wasn't a problem, Honda wouldn't have done recalls in Asia or TSBs in North America. Sure, there aren't dead Hondas all over the highway but if I could get some solid info that would help my car go an extra few years then I'm all for it.
Sponsored