Scored Rotors?

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Both my front rotors are scored almost all the way around. Got a screeching metal on metal sound and figured it was a rock so I tried to knock it out of the splash shield. While looking at the brakes, I noticed that both rotors are scored. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe bad pads from the factory or something? Rock stuck on the front or between the caliper and pad somehow? Car has less than 2000 miles
Sponsored

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
What do you mean by scored? It is normal for the rotors to develop a groove appearance due to the cross drilling. If you look at the grooves they line up with the drill holes. It is also common for the stock pads to squeal occasionally when braking.

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
What do you mean by scored? It is normal for the rotors to develop a groove appearance due to the cross drilling. If you look at the grooves they line up with the drill holes. It is also common for the stock pads to squeal occasionally when braking.
it's hard to tell in the picture, but the scoring is much deeper right by the drilled hole. I don't think this is normal. It looks like it would lead to cracking of the rotor

Honda Civic 10th gen Scored Rotors? upload_2019-4-23_19-20-54

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Ah yeah, that definitely looks like a rock or something got stuck and did some damage. If it worked it's way loose and isn't making noise anymore it's probably fine at least in the short term, but could be a source for a crack later on.

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ah yeah, that definitely looks like a rock or something got stuck and did some damage. If it worked it's way loose and isn't making noise anymore it's probably fine at least in the short term, but could be a source for a crack later on.
The weird thing is that there's an almost identical mark on the other front rotor. I'm wondering if it's an issue with pad material or a bracket for the pads. Dealer has it now.

I'm getting screeching right now but it's in reverse only which is making me wonder if it's not a rock. I might have multiple issues.

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If anyone is curious, the tech deemed the wear "normal" but they are covered under the 3/36 if they get worse. I will be keeping an eye on that drill hole for sure

In other news, the scraping noise I have been getting wasn't a rock this time. It was a 20" long stick lodged in the suspension lol

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update 2: a giant stick was removed from the car yesterday and now there's something else stuck in there. This is ridiculous.

I just had an emblem stolen off the car. I have to wonder if someone is just messing with my car at this point

UDEL09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Thread revival- 19’ CTR with the same issues. Metallic scraping noise anytime the car is moving and is most pronounced in reverse at slow speeds. I have some gravel on the roads and sure enough a small rock got trapped in the heat shield on the passenger side front wheel assembly. Easy fix but I hope this won’t be a constant issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen Scored Rotors? 5D641BD4-7704-41BF-8D75-81EB5B7F1BC7

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Other than brake noise, this was literally the first reported issue with the '17 CTR. 2nd gear crunch was next.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Thread revival- 19’ CTR with the same issues. Metallic scraping noise anytime the car is moving and is most pronounced in reverse at slow speeds. I have some gravel on the roads and sure enough a small rock got trapped in the heat shield on the passenger side front wheel assembly. Easy fix but I hope this won’t be a constant issue.

5D641BD4-7704-41BF-8D75-81EB5B7F1BC7.jpeg
Sorry mate but it's very common, especially if you have gravel on your roads.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Both my front rotors are scored almost all the way around. Got a screeching metal on metal sound and figured it was a rock so I tried to knock it out of the splash shield. While looking at the brakes, I noticed that both rotors are scored. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe bad pads from the factory or something? Rock stuck on the front or between the caliper and pad somehow? Car has less than 2000 miles
This post shows where these small pieces of gravel get trapped between the rotor and rotor shield:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/rock-stone-in-the-brakes-video.46067/#post-756339

This has happened to me twice that required me removing the wheel to dislodge the small stone. I used the end of a zip-tie (hard, thin plastic) for this task.

UDEL09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Sorry mate but it's very common, especially if you have gravel on your roads.
This post shows where these small pieces of gravel get trapped between the rotor and rotor shield:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/rock-stone-in-the-brakes-video.46067/#post-756339

This has happened to me twice that required me removing the wheel to dislodge the small stone. I used the end of a zip-tie (hard, thin plastic) for this task.
Thanks for the replies, I’ll try to avoid the gravel if I can. Cheers! ?
Sponsored