SCAM ALERT: Unsolicited messages/conversations asking you to email someone for parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tego0189

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
That's so crazy I received an message on Sunday from someone I cant even find about a part I was looking for told me to email [email protected]. They answered said had some miles on the fuel kit 450 but they said I can come pick it up or open to shipping
Sponsored

EtRtcarguy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
Country flag
A common scam has been reported here involving a situation where you may receive an unsolicited private message/conversation telling you to email someone for a part that you're interested in purchasing.

The scammer may then show you fake (but credible) photos of the product and have you send money for it. Of course, the part is never delivered and the paypal account closed down to avoid chargebacks.

If you receive private messages resembling this, please report it immediately (using the Report function in the message)!
Yes i had a guy wanting to buy custom subwoofer box hor hatchback from me and the guy was from qatar.

bennylopez_32

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White Si Coupe
Country flag
A common scam has been reported here involving a situation where you may receive an unsolicited private message/conversation telling you to email someone for a part that you're interested in purchasing.

The scammer may then show you fake (but credible) photos of the product and have you send money for it. Of course, the part is never delivered and the paypal account closed down to avoid chargebacks.

If you receive private messages resembling this, please report it immediately (using the Report function in the message)!
Honda Civic 10th gen SCAM ALERT: Unsolicited messages/conversations asking you to email someone for parts! F18A1BE3-0A24-4A3D-A4C4-DC45259901FF

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
I am an admin on another XF based site and also a Vanilla run site.

We have done several things to mitigate this yet we still see more than a few sign up and PM within moments. More often than not, if you've posted in the FM and are looking to buy something, they will hit you.

Fortunately, many ignore the PM. We have toyed with the idea of reminding users each time they post B/S/T thread.

Good luck.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Cash app. It's gone....
I got some weird PMs from Charles Schultz or something trying to sell me a CTR RMM. Everything was going well until it came time to payment. Would only accept Google Pay or some other cash transfer app. Wouldn't sign up for PayPal so I hit the eject button. Maybe a scammer, maybe not, but I can't find his PMs now so better safe than sorry.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got some weird PMs from Charles Schultz or something trying to sell me a CTR RMM. Everything was going well until it came time to payment. Would only accept Google Pay or some other cash transfer app. Wouldn't sign up for PayPal so I hit the eject button. Maybe a scammer, maybe not, but I can't find his PMs now so better safe than sorry.
That’s definitely the scammer. The person I ended up sending money to was “Karen Schultz”

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That’s definitely the scammer. The person I ended up sending money to was “Karen Schultz”
Damn, sorry they got you man. Once bitten, twice shy. I've been there too. PayPal only for me now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes. I recently got taken for $97.75 from a member here who quickly disappeared. He tried to convince me to pay with PayPal F&F but luckily I didn’t. I paid the $2.75 fee for a $95 purchase. And after he disappeared, I reported it to PayPal. Then filed a claim and finally PayPal ruled in my favor and I recovered the funds. I should’ve known better but I got solicited by a few legit members that I assumed he was legit too. Learned my lesson and I’m done with buying anything without asking for references. Always pay the PayPal fee. We don’t know each other no matter how friendly we may think this place is.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
The scamming with paypal can go two ways. I sold many parts on here and for those people luckily I am an honest person. All My parts sold and shipped. But I would not take invoiced paypal. I only take friends and family. Why? well the problem is scamming goes both ways. I have in the past (before being a member here) done invoicing and got paid and shipped the item. After a few weeks I got a notice they were wanting money back through paypal claiming they never got the item. I had tracking that showed they did, yet they claimed they did not. Ill spare you the details but paypal almost always sides with the buyer. They got refunded and I was out the item and the money.

I think a more useful tool on this site would be like other sites and have a seller rating. Feed back system from buyers that a person is trust worthy.

Not only can buyers be scammed through paypal but so can sellers that invoice. sure it protects the buyer but opens the seller up to fraud and refunds. So I can understand why a lot of sellers dont want to do invoicing.

Its not a perfect system both sides have to be careful. Just watch what you are doing and make sure they people are trusted and well known on the site.

Just be careful guys and gals and if you get that sneaking feeling just walk away.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Yes. I recently got taken for $97.75 from a member here who quickly disappeared. He tried to convince me to pay with PayPal F&F but luckily I didn’t. I paid the $2.75 fee for a $95 purchase. And after he disappeared, I reported it to PayPal. Then filed a claim and finally PayPal ruled in my favor and I recovered the funds. I should’ve known better but I got solicited by a few legit members that I assumed he was legit too. Learned my lesson and I’m done with buying anything without asking for references. Always pay the PayPal fee. We don’t know each other no matter how friendly we may think this place is.
Blows my mind when someone is willing to spend $100s plus, then cheap out on the small fee
The scamming with paypal can go two ways. I sold many parts on here and for those people luckily I am an honest person. All My parts sold and shipped. But I would not take invoiced paypal. I only take friends and family. Why? well the problem is scamming goes both ways. I have in the past (before being a member here) done invoicing and got paid and shipped the item. After a few weeks I got a notice they were wanting money back through paypal claiming they never got the item. I had tracking that showed they did, yet they claimed they did not. Ill spare you the details but paypal almost always sides with the buyer. They got refunded and I was out the item and the money.

I think a more useful tool on this site would be like other sites and have a seller rating. Feed back system from buyers that a person is trust worthy.

Not only can buyers be scammed through paypal but so can sellers that invoice. sure it protects the buyer but opens the seller up to fraud and refunds. So I can understand why a lot of sellers dont want to do invoicing.

Its not a perfect system both sides have to be careful. Just watch what you are doing and make sure they people are trusted and well known on the site.

Just be careful guys and gals and if you get that sneaking feeling just walk away.
anything with a significant value, to protect yourself, you should opt for signature confirmation. That would eliminate whether buyer received the item or not.

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted a WTB, and was told to email someone....

Hope I didn’t get scammed. Ugh
I've received ALOT pf these and the pictures they send are sl weird. On tarps weird chopped and welded pieces it was just a weord vibe. I was specifically looking for a 27won downpipe and they sent me all sorts of different shit. I bailed the fuck out.
I hope you paid with PayPal good and services. And have a way to look up the conversation and there are direct quotes of what parts you are getting. So if there are problems( no shipping info, different parts then expected, bot as described.) You can use screens hits ect to back up your claim if need be.

As an example before I paid for a part over kijiji I specifically asked and made sure that I had record of: the exact part (27won cattless DP) it's condition (used and undamaged) the price was including shipping (it was) shipping info(provided).

If there are any issues when it gets here. I'm covered.

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Damn. They make themselves sound so safe for both parties on both sides, if all steps are followed. I wod fight that shit like crazy. Even over a small amount. I don't like being ripped off and try to be fair even in my haggling over kijiji ect. Sucks that happened to you. I think that they will get theires in the end. One way or another that shit catches up.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Blows my mind when someone is willing to spend $100s plus, then cheap out on the small fee

anything with a significant value, to protect yourself, you should opt for signature confirmation. That would eliminate whether buyer received the item or not.
I agree but I get signature required items all the time just left on my door step because a driver didn't want to come back out my way.

There are protections but people can scam no matter what. just be a attentive buyer is all I can say.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.