Safelite windshield replacement cosmetic issue?

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
I am not sure if I am making a big deal here so I thought I'd ask here. The molding isn't flush with the glass and there are gaps. Is this normal? I have no water leakage.

Thanks in advance.
Honda Civic 10th gen Safelite windshield replacement cosmetic issue? 20180822_154259
Honda Civic 10th gen Safelite windshield replacement cosmetic issue? 20180822_154216
Honda Civic 10th gen Safelite windshield replacement cosmetic issue? 20180822_154212

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll replace them on warranty , something wrong...

Molding look broken and some parts are missing

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I'll replace them on warranty , something wrong...

Molding look broken and some parts are missing
Is Honda gonna replace those when Safelite broke them? Not sure you can call that a warranty item.

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Is Honda gonna replace those when Safelite broke them? Not sure you can call that a warranty item.

No sorry...safelite warranty item. I have a safelite appointment and was wondering if I should keep it or cancel.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
Got nothing to lose by having them look at it again . Is this on your 2006 Civic? Molding looks different than my car.

My windshield cracked big time already on my 2018. Stopping at Safelite on the way home to have them look at it and see if I'll be able to get a OE shield with a little wrangling with Geico

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got nothing to lose by having them look at it again . Is this on your 2006 Civic? Molding looks different than my car.

My windshield cracked big time already on my 2018. Stopping at Safelite on the way home to have them look at it and see if I'll be able to get a OE shield with a little wrangling with Geico

I see Civic 2006 :dunno:

There are no more waranty and wrong forum:lol:

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
I see Civic 2006 :dunno:

There are no more waranty and wrong forum:lol:

Sorry will change. This is Civic 2016 touring. Also read my previous reply, safelite warranty not Honda.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well? Did you go back to Safelite? I'm needing to replace my shield and was told by the tech at Safelite that he wouldn't even touch the trim. By the looks of your pics, they just re-used the same trim.

I went to another shop and they told me that they would need to order new trim from Honda as the trim needs to be replaced when changing out a shield

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Well? Did you go back to Safelite? I'm needing to replace my shield and was told by the tech at Safelite that he wouldn't even touch the trim. By the looks of your pics, they just re-used the same trim.

I went to another shop and they told me that they would need to order new trim from Honda as the trim needs to be replaced when changing out a shield
I am going Friday... Will let you know.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ken-

What brand of windshield did Safelite use? Should say it on the lower drivers side portion of the shield

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Just had this happen to my 2018 Civic Si a week ago......small rock hit shattered the top of the windshield and cracked the rest.
Never seen a windshield shatter so easily.

The factory glass is produced by Fuyao but there seems to be some info saying that Honda sources these from China, no idea? $400-600 for OEM + labor + tax, no thank you.

I contacted my local body shop I've worked with for years & set up a sublet to another local window company, same company I use to use for subletting windshields when I was at Honda. Both shops are the best around and even they couldn't get it right........Safelite is a no go around here, they are absolutely the worst.

They knew I wanted a good windshield so we settled on a PPG/PGW Soundmaster which was one of the better windshields years ago, better installers always favor them. Even OEM supplier for a few companies, seen a few things suggesting their quality has gone down some but nothing recent. I always used PPG/PGW windshields with hardly a comeback at the dealership. Always great quality glass in my experience. Same installers as well.

1st windshield was the completely wrong windshield, 2nd attempt had (3) deep scratches & a smudge between the laminate......this said PGW Acoustic in the drivers corner where the Honda logo use to be.

3rd shot just got done yesterday and seems to be decent. This time it is a PGW Soundmaster with the label in the bottom middle. Windshield looks nice & clear!
Now the install could have been better. They just reuse the moulding unless you ask usually, especially on a new car.
Mine looks a little cleaner but not much, my corners do look a lot better though. I noticed they went a little wild with the adhesive in the passenger bottom corner as it was everywhere. Also a little adhesive showing on the top trim.....no biggie, it will clean up nicely when completely dry.

I just decided to live with it until the next time I catch a rock or the pitting gets bad. Around here a windshield makes it 3-5 years if you are lucky! lol

No use taking it back for a 4th try. It was only $349.00 after taxes so not too bad but it was a hassle with all the issues.
Never had so many issues getting a windshield replaced!

If it really bugs you I'd take it back and inquire. Also interested in what glass you had installed?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
They only install Honda glass. They had alignment issues with non Honda glass before. Will be going there shortly.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
They only install Honda glass. They had alignment issues with non Honda glass before. Will be going there shortly.
It should be Fuyao glass if all models use the same. *Edit - Looks like some touring do use Pilkington Windshields as well.

Looked at my install now after a day of curing and a few drives. Mine looks pretty similar to yours now! Can't even tell unless I'm messing with it or really up close. It may or may not have been better with new trim but even an installer can mess that up! lol

One thing I did notice was the OEM windshield was much lighter and thinner than the PGW Soundmaster, they said it was very good against hits/pitting & especially acoustics. I did get one of the last DOT 904 US made windshields before they shut down their oldest US based plant this spring. Hopefully this will do better than OEM!

Funny enough all of my side glass is made by Pilkington glass which is right up there with PPG/PWG glass.

Interesting combo Honda went with!

Good luck!

Last edited:

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it say the name of the glass on the lower left portion? Should say the company name.

It's Sunday, how did you make out with them?

I went to a 3rd glass shop last Thursday under the recommendation of the dealer. They were super attentive and worked with Geico which I thought would be a pain in the ass to deal with in order to not use Safelite.

They are ordering me new glass and top and bottom trims from the dealer. It might be a bit of time for the parts to come in but I'm happy with them so far. I have a copy of the work order showing the stuff on order (she said to keep it in the car in case I'm pulled over to show it is in progress)

The bill without insurance is close to a grand...thankful for 50 dollar deductibles heh

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Does it say the name of the glass on the lower left portion? Should say the company name.

It's Sunday, how did you make out with them?

I went to a 3rd glass shop last Thursday under the recommendation of the dealer. They were super attentive and worked with Geico which I thought would be a pain in the ass to deal with in order to not use Safelite.

They are ordering me new glass and top and bottom trims from the dealer. It might be a bit of time for the parts to come in but I'm happy with them so far. I have a copy of the work order showing the stuff on order (she said to keep it in the car in case I'm pulled over to show it is in progress)

The bill without insurance is close to a grand...thankful for 50 dollar deductibles heh

It was exactly the same glass I had before. They fixed the holes by putting some glue underneath. In the end it was fine. I didn't want to argue with them so I left. This was all done through Geico.

And they did use new Honda moldings... They just suck at installing them.
Sponsored