Safelite experience?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Driving today the windshield took another good hit and this time created a crack. I am debating if I want to fix it or just replace it... It looks like safelite online is quoting around $500.

Is safelite better quality than Honda OEM glass? The OEM glass really damages easily. Just curious for anyone who has used safelite. Is there quality of work acceptable?

My windshield is already completely pitted and chipped so for the cost I don't mind replacing it especially since I have the time.
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
If you have honda sensing you need to make sure it's OEM glass. Who replaces it isn't as important as what they replace it with.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
If you have honda sensing you need to make sure it's OEM glass. Who replaces it isn't as important as what they replace it with.
Mine has honda sensing and the local Safelite (called Carglass here) repleced and recalibrated the camera. It works like before. However they had problems with the rains sensor because they put the wrong gel pad on the windshield and it didnt work. I had to visit them 3 times I think when they finally manged to make it work. I had a windshield from Pilkington and it cracked very easily, now they put a Fuyao windshield in it and is has noticeably more dashboard glare(reflection)! I don’t know how, but i think the pilkington might have some anti reflectove coating on the inner side. Otherwise it’s fine. It was 914€ including calibration, 614 was payed by my insurance. To be honest I’m not very satisfied with HOW they work, they didn’t reinstall some plastic pieces correctly at the base of the A pillar i had to correct it. There were a few other minor problems too. Nex time I will check an other company too if m insurance allows it.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Mine has honda sensing and the local Safelite (called Carglass here) repleced and recalibrated the camera. It works like before. However they had problems with the rains sensor because they put the wrong gel pad on the windshield and it didnt work. I had to visit them 3 times I think when they finally manged to make it work. I had a windshield from Pilkington and it cracked very easily, now they put a Fuyao windshield in it and is has noticeably more dashboard glare(reflection)! I don’t know how, but i think the pilkington might have some anti reflectove coating on the inner side. Otherwise it’s fine. It was 914€ including calibration, 614 was payed by my insurance. To be honest I’m not very satisfied with HOW they work, they didn’t reinstall some plastic pieces correctly at the base of the A pillar i had to correct it. There were a few other minor problems too. Nex time I will check an other company too if m insurance allows it.
You can run into shoddy work from anywhere :dunno:, but even highly rated companies can screw it up or you could get that employee that doesn't care. I didn't haveany problems when Safelite replaced my Nissan Juke windshield, but I have a coworker who used to work for them and he's told me stories that make you never want to use that company.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well... it started by waiting on the phone for 20 min when I called them and I got an appointment for 10 days later at 7:30. I coudn't use my car, I didn't want to risk paing 90€ if the police sees the crack on the screen. So I was there at 7:32 or so; got in the building said good morning and the response was 'the first thing: we open at 8:00'. When I said I got the appointment at 7:30 they just said it didin't matter and that they are so nice that they take care of my case. So basically the problem is not only with one technician that worked on my car. That whole freakin company (maybe worldwide or just here, I don't know) is somehow rotten to the core. I haven't heard a single good thing about them. Except the camera calibration there were smaller or bigger problems with every single thing during the process. And they even put some nano layer or what on the windshield that is good in rain but made the windshield whiper "jump" and that caused the layer to get thinner in lines (where it landed after the jump) and now in colder morning I have wan vertical lines on the windscreen.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
I used them a few times, all depemds on the installer.
In ny we had $0 deductible glass

like stated above you can request oem
Glass, some places will calibrate and others will make u do a honda appt.

all depends on area, 3 times the installers were awesome n the last one the guy was late then showed up with his kid in the truck so i threw him under the bus on the reviews

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
No sensing on mine so fortunately there's nothing that needs to be recalibrated. I called and it looks like it's 500 for safelite and over 1000 at the dealer.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to replace my windshield to because there’s a rock chip that gouged my windshield prior to me buying this car and I’m wondering if my car had the sensing since it senses to turn wipers on/off when it starts to rain. Should I go to the dealership to see if it’s under warranty? Would they replace the windshield with an OEM one?

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have to replace my windshield to because there’s a rock chip that gouged my windshield prior to me buying this car and I’m wondering if my car had the sensing since it senses to turn wipers on/off when it starts to rain. Should I go to the dealership to see if it’s under warranty? Would they replace the windshield with an OEM one?
Honda sensing is adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist, the rain sensor has noting to do with it. I'm not sure but I think you can have a car without Honda sensing but with rain sensor. You mean replacing under warranty because it was already damaged when you bought the car?

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda sensing is adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist, the rain sensor has noting to do with it. I'm not sure but I think you can have a car without Honda sensing but with rain sensor. You mean replacing under warranty because it was already damaged when you bought the car?
Yeah! When I was doing the walk around with my boyfriend, he asked if they could knock off a little of the price due to some minor paint chips and the rock chip in the windshield and also had them remove the pin stripe because it was already faded and cracking in some areas. I wasn’t sure if my extended warranty covers the windshield or not or if I had to go through my insurance company.

Honda Civic 10th gen Safelite experience? image

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Safelite sucks hard around me and in another state I used to live in. I tend to avoid large chains. Found a local mom and pop shop by me using better quality glass, with clearly more care taken in their installations. I would advise calling around and asking for an estimate along with products used before settling on one place.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yeah! When I was doing the walk around with my boyfriend, he asked if they could knock off a little of the price due to some minor paint chips and the rock chip in the windshield and also had them remove the pin stripe because it was already faded and cracking in some areas. I wasn’t sure if my extended warranty covers the windshield or not or if I had to go through my insurance company.

image.jpg

You can tell if the Honda has sensing by looking at the front and directly above the rear view mirror from the outside. You will see a black square. That is the LKAS/Sensing camera. If not, then it does not have it although you may have automatic wipers.

Personally if I had Sensing, or some additional feature, I'd just go to the dealership and either file a claim or eat the (high) cost just to make sure it is done correctly. Windshield and gaskets from the dealer alone were close to $800, plus $250 for labor= $1,050. I'm sure if my car had sensing they would charge another $200 for recalibrating the camera which is what I have seen in other posts ($1,2050).

I'm going to go to a 3rd party and try my luck with them. They are slightly cheaper than Safelite, but the Safelite near me has a lot of negative reviews.

Are all those little white marks on your windshield rock pit marks that reflect glass ? If so, mine looks like that as well. I drove the freeway all the time (pre-pandemic) and my windshield is full of rock pits/chips all over the place which is why I am going to take a gamble on aftermarket. The OEM glass is very soft and damages easily.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can tell if the Honda has sensing by looking at the front and directly above the rear view mirror from the outside. You will see a black square. That is the LKAS/Sensing camera. If not, then it does not have it although you may have automatic wipers.

Personally if I had Sensing, or some additional feature, I'd just go to the dealership and either file a claim or eat the (high) cost just to make sure it is done correctly. Windshield and gaskets from the dealer alone were close to $800, plus $250 for labor= $1,050. I'm sure if my car had sensing they would charge another $200 for recalibrating the camera which is what I have seen in other posts ($1,2050).

I'm going to go to a 3rd party and try my luck with them. They are slightly cheaper than Safelite, but the Safelite near me has a lot of negative reviews.

Are all those little white marks on your windshield rock pit marks that reflect glass ? If so, mine looks like that as well. I drove the freeway all the time (pre-pandemic) and my windshield is full of rock pits/chips all over the place which is why I am going to take a gamble on aftermarket. The OEM glass is very soft and damages easily.
No those are of rock chips, it’s just dirty because I haven’t had a chance to clean my windshield yet. I guess I should have done that first before taking a picture. I wasn’t sure which route to go because I want my windshield replaced so I can get my windshield tinted. I didn’t want to do it when I got my windows tinted because it was going to get replaced anyways.
I was only wondering about the Honda sensor because I have the automatic wipers of course I turned that feature off.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Just got my windshield done today for 360 everything tax etc. They kept the old molding. The new glass is AGC and is the same as the OEM. It seems to be slightly thicker as well. Overall the work looks fine.

The guy told me that any Honda sensing for it to work correctly needs to be OEM glass and the calibration is 700 alone plus OEM glass so it's well past 1000.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got my windshield done today for 360 everything tax etc. They kept the old molding. The new glass is AGC and is the same as the OEM. It seems to be slightly thicker as well. Overall the work looks fine.

The guy told me that any Honda sensing for it to work correctly needs to be OEM glass and the calibration is 700 alone plus OEM glass so it's well past 1000.
700??? I don’t think that’s true. I know i’m in Europe so can’t really compare but the only thing they done right in my case was the calibration and it was actually 85€ (<100$), using a universal calbration tool. I got an official certificate that the camera has been calibrated on this day by this company and safe to use. and my new glass is not Oem and supports honda sensing, but it costs more than the one without honda sensing for sure. The difference is actually that the one with sensing has a place for the camera prepared with a special Flat console glued on it, but thats all as far as I know, no electronics, nothing. However 360 for the whole thing??? Wow. Either they work very cheap in the US or that’s a good price. Does your car have a rain sensor?
Sponsored