Safe to run a tune on the track while stock?

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
RedJackson2, Since you just started doing a few track days and use your SI as a daily driver, you might want to consider leaving your car box stock at the present time for the following reasons:
1. You can kiss your drivetrain warranty goodbye the minute you start messing with the ECU and other drivetrain components.
2. More importantly, learning to drive your car fast is more a function of your skill than the raw horsepower of your car. You would probably get much faster running a stock setup except your tires and taking some driving lessons with a seasoned track instructor and reading all you can about race strategy. Tires are your primary contact with the road and will increase your performance much more than the engine mods in most cases.
3. After you have done some more track days with say 200 street/track tires like 235/40R-18 YOKOHAMA ADVAN A052's, you and your instructor could map out a strategy of what might be beneficial in the tuning/suspension departments. You still run the risk of screwing up a very pleasant daily driver by overdoing the mods? Just one person's opinion and I am a newbie to the Si forum and a new 2020 Si owner.
That’s actually the best advise!
Sponsored

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Stock vehicle (besides tires and brake fluid) on phearable stage 1.5 being put through its paces

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Stock vehicle (besides tires and brake fluid) on phearable stage 1.5 being put through its paces
Cool. I've never tracked my car, I probably would have shifted a lot more.:eek:
Sponsored