Safe to run a tune on the track while stock?

RedJackson02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Tuning noob here and I would appreciate your guys' advice. I have a 2020 Si and it is my daily driver. It is totally stock except for a K&N intake because I wanted some woosh noises without a BOV. Last year I did my first SCCA event at Pitt Raceway and it was some of the most fun I have ever had, even though it wasn't a race or competition - only track time. Three 20 minute sessions of driving as fast as you can was so awesome though. I found that the factory all season tires and stock intercooler are the car's weak points on the track so these are the things that I will probably be changing out first. But also, I'm very interested in Ktuner+Phearable 1.5 tune. I've been reading a ton of forums here and it seems like it is something I would like to make daily driving even more fun in the Si. My question is, can the stock Si handle running hard on the track while being tuned with an off-the-shelf tune like Phearable AND still be reliable? I have seen lots of videos of people doing a few hard pulls and saying their knock control is going up pretty high. On the track, you're doing hard pulls for 20 mins straight. So, is that something to worry about or would it be a better idea to flash back to the stock tune before heading to the track to not strain the motor as much?
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Not sure what maps the phearable tune comes with but if you have a ktuner with on the fly map switching you can basically switch as you desire - for example, the TSP stage 1/1+ have the map 1 set to only allow factory boost levels.

I usually end up running map 2 on TSP stage 1 when I want to drive hard - a middle ground tune that only allows 21.5 PSI.

I think if you upgrade the intercooler to keep intake temps down and use 93 octane and/or throw in a gallon of e85 you should have reasonably controlled knock control even during a hard session on the track.

OP
OP
RedJackson02

RedJackson02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Phearable comes with 19.5 psi, 22 psi, and 25psi maps switchable on the fly so that sounds pretty similar. I'm lucky enough to have 93 octane not far from my house so that's all I use. At what kcon level is considered too high and what do you do to bring it back to normal? I guess it's probably a good idea to start at 19.5 map and see what the levels are after a run.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
It's recommended to give it just enough throttle at a lower RPM to match boost to ambient (0 psi) to bring it back down.

I've found in my experience also revving it out without giving it 100% throttle helps mine drop down, as well.

Hopefully someone else can chime in about knock control levels, I mix in a gallon of E85 so mine almost never leaves 0.49.

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’ve run multiple trackdays on Tsp stage 1 tune map 3. Yes my knock sensor does move up to .89-.90 where I’ll run a cool down lap or two.

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This is something I’ve been curious about too, since I like to do the occasional track day. I bought ktuner & Phearable 1.5 over the weekend, and I’m planning on leaving it on the 19.5psi map for sure on the track. Honda sells a turnkey Si with the option of 180hp-220hp, so I think the 19.5psi map should be okay. Right now all i have is a PRL cobra cai street maf, but I’m planning on getting a bigger intercooler which should help keep things more consistent.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, you will likely be OK but ideally you should upgrade your intercooler for track use and obviously use high quality 93.

OP
OP
RedJackson02

RedJackson02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks all for the input on this. Intercooler will be my next investment as it was pretty noticeable heat soak after a lap on a warm day. SCcanyon, do you have a bigger intercooler or are you running stock?

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks all for the input on this. Intercooler will be my next investment as it was pretty noticeable heat soak after a lap on a warm day. SCcanyon, do you have a bigger intercooler or are you running stock?
stock intercooler

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
I’ve run multiple trackdays on Tsp stage 1 tune map 3. Yes my knock sensor does move up to .89-.90 where I’ll run a cool down lap or two.
If k control moves up is because the sensor detected knocking and so the ignition is reduced to prevent further knock events. Knocking is never good. I'm not saying your car will be damaged but it's not a good thing.

Baically you are driving till ecu detects multiple knock and then you let the car cool down. I'm pretty sure avoiding knocking is desiderabile.

In your specific case, an upgraded ic will be worth it!

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
OP, you will likely be OK but ideally you should upgrade your intercooler for track use and obviously use high quality 93.
100% correct answer :)

You will be ok. If you plan on tracking the vehicle a lot an intercooler is a must.
We sell PRL intercoolers on our website. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If k control moves up is because the sensor detected knocking and so the ignition is reduced to prevent further knock events. Knocking is never good. I'm not saying your car will be damaged but it's not a good thing.

Baically you are driving till ecu detects multiple knock and then you let the car cool down. I'm pretty sure avoiding knocking is desiderabile.

In your specific case, an upgraded ic will be worth it!
I think that’s debatable as I know other guys who’ve upgraded their IC and still have the same issue. Best route is flex fuel system.

Manatee Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si; Toyota Avalon Hybrid
Country flag
RedJackson2, Since you just started doing a few track days and use your SI as a daily driver, you might want to consider leaving your car box stock at the present time for the following reasons:
1. You can kiss your drivetrain warranty goodbye the minute you start messing with the ECU and other drivetrain components.
2. More importantly, learning to drive your car fast is more a function of your skill than the raw horsepower of your car. You would probably get much faster running a stock setup except your tires and taking some driving lessons with a seasoned track instructor and reading all you can about race strategy. Tires are your primary contact with the road and will increase your performance much more than the engine mods in most cases.
3. After you have done some more track days with say 200 street/track tires like 235/40R-18 YOKOHAMA ADVAN A052's, you and your instructor could map out a strategy of what might be beneficial in the tuning/suspension departments. You still run the risk of screwing up a very pleasant daily driver by overdoing the mods? Just one person's opinion and I am a newbie to the Si forum and a new 2020 Si owner.
Sponsored