Safe to get a dyno on stock clutch with TSP Tune?

Jntsunami

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at sea level too and see 27 PSI from time to time. All these people are living in a fantasy believing there stock clutch will hold up with anything more than stock power. Who wants to drive these cars like grandma's??? I only know they don't want to pull up on me out here or they would get smoked!! HAHA
I just need the E85 Mod and bigger turbo now and game over.
(Fyi only cost me $1500 for my fx350 installed)
Sponsored

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
No wot in 5th and 6th is definitely driving like a grandma lol. I wot 3rd and 4th 7/10 times I drive it. Y'all must can't drive for shit or something. Hahahhaha. Prob rev up to 2k when you take off in first.

Talking bout you got a hot smell from the clutch just doing pulls. Hahahahhahaha when I drive like a bat outta hell I have NEVER smelled my clutch doggy.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This thread is devolving into another 'can a stock clutch handle more than stock power' thread.

The OP's question was specific to whether people's opinion was whether or not a stock clutch would hold while dynoing. Dynoing would usually intentionally go WOT prior to the torque peak, so you'd experience the torque peak. You'd do it in 4th to have yourself closest to a 1.0 ratio.

There a lot of us running TSP stage 1 on a stock clutch without slip... but running on the road with a driving style that favors protecting the clutch while still driving fast, as you accelerate at peak power vice peak torque... isn't the same as going WOT in 4th starting out at low RPMs strapped to a dyno.

OP
OP

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This thread is devolving into another 'can a stock clutch handle more than stock power' thread.

The OP's question was specific to whether people's opinion was whether or not a stock clutch would hold while dynoing. Dynoing would usually intentionally go WOT prior to the torque peak, so you'd experience the torque peak. You'd do it in 4th to have yourself closest to a 1.0 ratio.

There a lot of us running TSP stage 1 on a stock clutch without slip... but running on the road with a driving style that favors protecting the clutch while still driving fast, as you accelerate at peak power vice peak torque... isn't the same as going WOT in 4th starting out at low RPMs strapped to a dyno.
Thanks Charles. You basically broke it down to exactly what I was asking for. I wasn’t trying to start any arguments between anyone. Just some solid advice. And I appreciate everybody who replied.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I'm at sea level too and see 27 PSI from time to time. All these people are living in a fantasy believing there stock clutch will hold up with anything more than stock power. Who wants to drive these cars like grandma's??? I only know they don't want to pull up on me out here or they would get smoked!! HAHA
I just need the E85 Mod and bigger turbo now and game over.
(Fyi only cost me $1500 for my fx350 installed)
1500 with part and labor?

Wao these cars are a money pit if you want more fun.
I remember those times that Civics were cheaper to mod.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
The person to ask would be Derek at IMW - he made the tune and likely has seen more cars using that tune on a dyno than anyone else.

That being said - nearly 16k miles on my car, running TSP Stage 1, zero clutch slip.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

~ $500 for the clutch and then you're paying for labor. I think Honda bills it as 8.5 hours, YMMV at an independent shop. 8.5 hours at Honda rates would be right at $1,000. $1,500 is probably toward the higher end, but point being the majority of the cost is labor.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

There are different ways of looking at it. Back in the day you couldn't add 55 whp and 76 ft lbs of torque for only $449. (with a tuner and a free tune)

$8.16 per whp. :drive:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are different ways of looking at it. Back in the day you couldn't add 55 whp and 76 ft lbs of torque for only $449. (with a tuner and a free tune)

$8.16 per whp. :drive:
I did it for half that $$ and got similar numbers and the stock clutch can still handle more than twice that amount. Honda went too cheap on the clutch.

Deleted member

I did it for half that $$ and got similar numbers and the stock clutch can still handle more than twice that amount. Honda went too cheap on the clutch.
Would you care to detail how you added 50 horses to a naturally aspirated old Honda for $225?

Putting stickers all over your car doesn't count ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You made an older NA Civic gain over 50 whp and 75 ft-lbs of torque for $225? I know the 9th gens clutches were handling CTE superchargers stock... and those post better whp numbers than the TSP stage 1, in the ~275 range ... but a lot less torque. They also cost about $4-5k... and that's you installing it. A tuner, etune and bellmouth downpipe on a 9th gen got you near 200 whp, a 30-35 gain for over a grand. My RSX with a pile of bolt one might have gained 50 whp staying N/A eventually but not for $225. Intake, exhaust, cams, tune... or K24 swap... and all that.

But $225? C'mon... you've got to pay to play. How are you coming up with those numbers? The injen CAI I had on my RSX cost that much...

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would you care to detail how you added 50 horses to a naturally aspirated old Honda for $225?

Putting stickers all over your car doesn't count ;)
You made an older NA Civic gain over 50 whp and 75 ft-lbs of torque for $225? I know the 9th gens clutches were handling CTE superchargers stock... and those post better whp numbers than the TSP stage 1, in the ~275 range ... but a lot less torque. They also cost about $4-5k... and that's you installing it. A tuner, etune and bellmouth downpipe on a 9th gen got you near 200 whp, a 30-35 gain for over a grand. My RSX with a pile of bolt one might have gained 50 whp staying N/A eventually but not for $225. Intake, exhaust, cams, tune... or K24 swap... and all that.

But $225? C'mon... you've got to pay to play. How are you coming up with those numbers? The injen CAI I had on my RSX cost that much...
Im not talking about a civic look to the upper left of this reply in the Car(s) section. Below my username.
<---------------------------------------------

The majority of sport compact cars out there for not saying all. Don't have a weak clutch as the SI does. Honda took a cheap route here.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im not talking about a civic look to the upper left of this reply in the Car(s) section. Below my username.
<---------------------------------------------

The majority of sport compact cars out there for not saying all. Don't have a weak clutch as the SI does. Honda took a cheap route here.
Ok... I used a Hallman MBC that cost $40 and probably gained 50 whp on a Z31 in the 90s. Z32 could use 'boost jets' which we're little more than welding tips.
I thought we were talking old Honda's not other random turbocharged cars that may have more headroom or other less costly methods of raising boost.

192 ft-lbs to 281 ft-lbs. It's a tiny turbo and not suited to flow well. We've got a TD025. Your Ralliart had a TD04... same housing as a CTR. I assume it couldn't make a mountain of torque as quickly... and could flow more and make more power, with the larger engine it was mated to. Or maybe it could. Other than a Galant my mother-in-law has that's falling apart around a very dependable engine, I have little first-hand experience with them.

I did take a moment to put in 'ralliart stock clutch' in google out of curiousity and out came some doom and gloom. I don't think a modded Ralliart clutch is anything spectacular... even if holds more power. Certainly it isn't universally recognized as being able to hold whatever the stock turbo can throw at it.

I may be able to get on board with the clutch being weak. There's evidence of it and I've even contacted Exedy about it. It also seems to have less holding power than a 9th gen. Still... that's got a different engine/transmission. Ours has it roots as a ~100 whp engine out of a little Fit. It's been built up and there's a swap thread where someone was putting one in a Fit and said the tranny was substantially bigger than their stock unit, but maybe when they built the engine/tranny from a 100 whp application to a ~200 whp one with under 200 ft-lbs of torque... they we're going after a light clutch and stuck a weak diaphragm spring in it for that purpose. It is an almost universal comment from reviewers about the car, and would be a contributing factor.

I still think modding the car to make nearly 1/2 again the torque and mashing the gas in high gears to make it make full boost at 2000-3000 RPM is as much on the driver modding the car and their driving style as the manufacturer's design choices.

You could say the Z32 sucks because we only got 370cc injectors compared to the Supras 550cc units... making the Supras able to make more hp without dumping money to replace the Z's injectors. You get wrapped up in comparing cars and their modding potential, and you'll find there's give and take in all of them. All the fun Lancers, between the Evos or Ralliarts have gone away. As good as they may have been, they didn't survive against their competitors. Mitsubishi's days of 3000GTs, VR4 Galants and Evos seem to have come and gone. The company is has really been struggling in recent years. Not Suzuki struggling... but not far away.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eh, not on a Civic though.

Jntsunami

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No wot in 5th and 6th is definitely driving like a grandma lol. I wot 3rd and 4th 7/10 times I drive it. Y'all must can't drive for shit or something. Hahahhaha. Prob rev up to 2k when you take off in first.

Talking bout you got a hot smell from the clutch just doing pulls. Hahahahhahaha when I drive like a bat outta hell I have NEVER smelled my clutch doggy.
I also bought the car with 14k on it so I don't know how the previous owner drove it. The clutch is replaced now and can handle 110% more than stock so I don't have to worry about my clutch slipping and can move on to more power mods. On to the next stage.
Sponsored