Safe to get a dyno on stock clutch with TSP Tune?

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Pretty much what the title says. I plan on getting a dyno in a couple of weeks. I have the TSP stage 1 tune and would like to know if it's ok to get dynoed on stock clutch. Been reading about people slipping with the extra power. Also is there anything I would need to suggest to the person doing the pulls on my car. They specialize in subaru's and mitsubishi's. I know they have done other vehicles but just trying to play on the safe side and cover all my bases. I'm not interested in buying a new clutch at the moment.

Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Depends on how much abuse it has taken honestly. Is it currently slipping? I am pushing 5k on the TSP Stage1 and really open her up once or twice a week. Just for a single pull to merge onto highways. No issues. My advice would be to go for it, but don't heat up the clutch getting to the dyno shop beforehand.

Also never go WOT in 5th or 6th to be on the safe side.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Usually dyno numbers are pulled in third or fourth gear. I don't think you will have an issue. Like @tehSteve said, it is all in how you drive it. If you beat the car mercilessly, you will have a slipping stock clutch. If you keep the revs higher, and don't go WOT unless you are fully in the power band, your stock clutch will last for a while.

OP
OP

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Depends on how much abuse it has taken honestly. Is it currently slipping? I am pushing 5k on the TSP Stage1 and really open her up once or twice a week. Just for a single pull to merge onto highways. No issues. My advice would be to go for it, but don't heat up the clutch getting to the dyno shop beforehand.

Also never go WOT in 5th or 6th to be on the safe side.
I did a proper break in. I got the car in July of this year. A 2018 with 233 miles. I babied it until 1000 miles. Only a few real spirited drives. And no I haven't started slipping, just trying to stay on top of things and be careful. I actually get a thrill out of trying to keep my MPG above 36 so I pretty much stay in normal mode and watch my throttle. I definitely don't go WOT in 5th or 6th. I've been reading on the forums for a while to know that's a no no. I just couldn't find any clear information about getting dyno'd on the stock clutch. Thanks for the reply.

Usually dyno numbers are pulled in third or fourth gear. I don't think you will have an issue. Like @tehSteve said, it is all in how you drive it. If you beat the car mercilessly, you will have a slipping stock clutch. If you keep the revs higher, and don't go WOT unless you are fully in the power band, your stock clutch will last for a while.
I definitely don't abuse her. So it sounds like i'll be perfectly fine getting it dyno'd. thanks for helping alleviate some of my worries/concerns. Can't wait to see what she is putting down. Unfortunately I don't think i'll be able to hit the drag strip for a little while. The local drag strip that is about 10 mins from my house isn't really a big time strip and they are having some problems with their equipment so I'll just get a dyno for now. And yes I realize dyno's aren't the most accurate for determining power but I am doing it to get some baselines. Thanks for the replies guys.

Jntsunami

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think your clutch will slip no doubt. I just replaced mine after running TSP for about a month. Just saying there's no easy way around it gotta replace the clutch if you want to fly. Let us know the results man!

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
I think your clutch will slip no doubt. I just replaced mine after running TSP for about a month. Just saying there's no easy way around it gotta replace the clutch if you want to fly. Let us know the results man!
I 2nd this. been running the tsp stage 1 for about several weeks and the clutch is slip city. Sooner or later it's gonna happen to to you, it is what it is. And if it doesn't then you are just holding back and then what was the point in purchasing the tune if you aren't using it to the fullest and what you paid for...Atleast my personal way of thinking & that's what i questioned to myself so i went ahead and bought a fx350 clutch, installing it next week so i can finally have a peace of mind and not worry and pushing my car too hard and slipping the clutch of my own car again. Sucks having to fork up the dough but it'll be a good investment if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time.My 2cents.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll do your pull in 4th most likely and I think you'll slip if you go WOT at ~2500 RPM.

If there's any option for the Dyno to have less resistance (ie sped up) I'd err on that side. I though dynos can provide more resistance than the road itself. That counter torque would work against your stock clutch. Other than that, you can ask about doing your runs at a bit higher RPM. As I understand tuning, the majority of the timing would be added after the torque peak had passed.

This is also from a lot of reading and not a lot of first hand experience, so take it with a grain of salt. If talk to your tuner and let him/her know your concerns and what you feel would be exceeding the limits of your equipment. They're there to provide a service and have no desire to make their customer unhappy.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I 2nd this. been running the tsp stage 1 for about several weeks and the clutch is slip city. Sooner or later it's gonna happen to to you, it is what it is. And if it doesn't then you are just holding back and then what was the point in purchasing the tune if you aren't using it to the fullest and what you paid for...Atleast my personal way of thinking & that's what i questioned to myself so i went ahead and bought a fx350 clutch, installing it next week so i can finally have a peace of mind and not worry and pushing my car too hard and slipping the clutch of my own car again. Sucks having to fork up the dough but it'll be a good investment if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time.My 2cents.
You guys dont think it could be your driving style? Ive had tsp for about 2 months I havent had any issues so far.

Jntsunami

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 15k on my Si and It slipped right away once I did TSP Stage 1. I also have full bolt on's and drive responsibly (No burn outs etc...) It will slip eventually if you start getting up there in torque. I have FX350 clutch now and never looking back. It really unleashed the beast!

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I have 15k on my Si and It slipped right away once I did TSP Stage 1. I also have full bolt on's and drive responsibly (No burn outs etc...) It will slip eventually if you start getting up there in torque. I have FX350 clutch now and never looking back. It really unleashed the beast!
like downpipe front pipe? Any time someone says their clutch started slipping after adding tsp, or any tune, there is always more to the story. Like more mods or going wot in 5th and 6th. Driving responsibly I dont think TSP alone will make the clutch slip.

Jntsunami

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah on mine it was still slipping before mods. Try it out, Map 3 is too much boost for the weak stock clutch.

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
people were slipping clutches on ktuners 23psi base map which is significantly less than the tsp stage 1.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Yeah on mine it was still slipping before mods. Try it out, Map 3 is too much boost for the weak stock clutch.
I have tsp stage 1 map 3 on my car right now, I have not slipped the clutch at all/yet. Ive had it on for 2 months. I never wot 5th or 6th, I always down shift to fourth or third.

people were slipping clutches on ktuners 23psi base map which is significantly less than the tsp stage 1.
My tsp stage 1 has never gone above 23 psi in sport mode. It stops at 19 in regular mode.

Every time I see posts about clutches slipping it is one of 3 things:

1. Never broke the clutch right or at all
2. Have mods that add more power. ie Not 100% stock
3. Go WOT in 5th and 6th

My clutch hasnt slipped yet. If my clutch starts to slip then I will believe it until then I cant take someone else word for it, everyone has a different definition of driving responsibly.

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
You guys dont think it could be your driving style? Ive had tsp for about 2 months I havent had any issues so far.
I honestly have yet to once do a launch, burnout, powershift, etc.... I don't beat on the car the most I do is WOT and pick up in speed. It's like @Jntsunami said it'll slip eventually .. And same for me, it started to slip around 15k on the odometer. And if doesn't then good for you or you just don't drive spirited at all.. Which at that point i question why purchasing the ktuner/tsp map.

As for the mods, yes i'm not 100% stock so that doesn't help my situation. For performance I have the PRL Cobra/Intercooler and I see just about 25-26psi even 27psi when I review some of my datalogs on the TSP map. I'm sure living in South florida with literally almost sea level altitudes is part of the reason I see more boost, which again, isn't probably helping me in terms of the clutch. I got to the point of being tired of reading all these "will my clutch slip if I do this or that" threads & worrying about my clutch slipping and holding myself back in my own car. Getting this new clutch in will be a peace of mind for me now on the road and if I could have done it all over again, a clutch would have probably been the first mod I would have done just to get that out of the way and enjoy my car to the fullest.

Jntsunami

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have tsp stage 1 map 3 on my car right now, I have not slipped the clutch at all/yet. Ive had it on for 2 months. I never wot 5th or 6th, I always down shift to fourth or third.

I'm at sea level too and see 27 PSI from time to time. All these people are living in a fantasy believing there stock clutch will hold up with anything more than stock power. Who wants to drive these cars like grandma's??? I only know they don't want to pull up on me out here or they would get smoked!! HAHA
I just need the E85 Mod and bigger turbo now and game over.
(Fyi only cost me $1500 for my fx350 installed)

My tsp stage 1 has never gone above 23 psi in sport mode. It stops at 19 in regular mode.

Every time I see posts about clutches slipping it is one of 3 things:

1. Never broke the clutch right or at all
2. Have mods that add more power. ie Not 100% stock
3. Go WOT in 5th and 6th

My clutch hasnt slipped yet. If my clutch starts to slip then I will believe it until then I cant take someone else word for it, everyone has a different definition of driving responsibly.
Drive
I honestly have yet to once do a launch, burnout, powershift, etc.... I don't beat on the car the most I do is WOT and pick up in speed. It's like @Jntsunami said it'll slip eventually .. And same for me, it started to slip around 15k on the odometer. And if doesn't then good for you or you just don't drive spirited at all.. Which at that point i question why purchasing the ktuner/tsp map.

As for the mods, yes i'm not 100% stock so that doesn't help my situation. For performance I have the PRL Cobra/Intercooler and I see just about 25-26psi even 27psi when I review some of my datalogs on the TSP map. I'm sure living in South florida with literally almost sea level altitudes is part of the reason I see more boost, which again, isn't probably helping me in terms of the clutch. I got to the point of being tired of reading all these "will my clutch slip if I do this or that" threads & worrying about my clutch slipping and holding myself back in my own car. Getting this new clutch in will be a peace of mind for me now on the road and if I could have done it all over again, a clutch would have probably been the first mod I would have done just to get that out of the way and enjoy my car to the fullest.
Sponsored