Sad news...MK6 Civic Type R may go hybrid

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I hope Honda has learned its lesson about hybrid drivetrains now that the Corvette seems poised to put the nail in the coffin of the NSX. :(
Sponsored

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Hell no, Si's and Type-R have always been manual and I hope it stays that way. In my opinion, if you are going to own a sports car, there's no other choice then going manual. Make them automatic and you're just gonna kill the manual market more than it is dying right now.
Don't get me wrong, I hope the manual sticks around too. I just think it would be a cool option. Knowing Honda, it won't happen. They seem to be committed to keeping the manual alive (at least with the Civic).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im imagining adding two electric motor to the rear which helps the launching better from a stop and help torque vectoring like the NSX. that would definitely help improve in MPG.
Its almost like an AWD but not a true AWD

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
And all that will add thousands of $$ to the price for marginal performance gains. Look at what creative engineering did for the CTR FWD suspension. Other than, adding weight, cost and complexity there is ZERO benefit. And if you say well it's gonna add a few mpg......... It may add them but to pay 2-3-4k more to add a few mpg, no thanks. It will be a wash or take 10-15yrs to recoup the investment.

If Acura had made the new NSX without the hybrid nonsense they would have sold a lot more. They made it more expensive and pretty much crapped all over the essence of what an NSX.

Im imagining adding two electric motor to the rear which helps the launching better from a stop and help torque vectoring like the NSX. that would definitely help improve in MPG.
Its almost like an AWD but not a true AWD

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
If Acura had made the new NSX without the hybrid nonsense they would have sold a lot more. They made it more expensive and pretty much crapped all over the essence of what an NSX.
The NSX was not a bare-bones simple machine when it was new. Not at all. These days, sure, now it seems that way -- but new? Yeah right.

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'm referring to the NA V6 engine in the NSX as bare bones meaning no three hybrid motor nonsense.

The NSX was not a bare-bones simple machine when it was new. Not at all. These days, sure, now it seems that way -- but new? Yeah right.

732TypeR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
A type R in hybrid seems blasphemous... maybe just make a Civic Si Hybrid and keep the type R as is?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm referring to the NA V6 engine in the NSX as bare bones meaning no three hybrid motor nonsense.
Right -- and in its day, the NSX's high-revving VTEC V6 and electric steering were advanced tech, not ox cart-level basic stuff. What was cutting-edge becomes mainstream eventually.

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Those technologies were innovative and performance oriented. Hybrid systems are the result of EPA regulations, cafe standards and fuel efficiency. None have to do with performance.
Oh but the hybrid systems drive the front wheels for better performance. True.
But you can just make the car AWD for thousands less than the hybrid system, easier to maintain and lower repair costs.
Look at formula one their hybrid v6 is the pinnacle yet no manufacturers want to join due to the insane costs. Current teams can barely afford them and increased staffing also adds to the costs. All this and zero "green" benefit.

Right -- and in its day, the NSX's high-revving VTEC V6 and electric steering were advanced tech, not ox cart-level basic stuff. What was cutting-edge becomes mainstream eventually.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
IMO manual is the second best thing to dual clutch (which is what the next mid-engine corvette will have). But I guess the DCT is to expensive for a civic. A 305 hp DCT civic type R would be awesome though.

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I wonder what the longevity looks like for these electric cars. Honda has such a good reputation for lasting forever but I wonder if that will extends to electric cars.