Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I would so much rather them try this with an Acura instead. Next you’ll tell me they plan to offer an automatic option as well...
I don't think Honda would ever do that, but an automatic Type R/Si would be welcome in my book.
Sponsored

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm hoping it will be more of a 'soft' hybrid option. Soft in my case meaning that the electric motor has a very limited role. The motor activates only on takeoffs and stop/go and deactivates once the car gets out of first gear I guess.
While the car may traditionally not be FWD the electric motor will negate turbo lag down low (which the type r has more of than a civic si) and will significantly improve the gas mileage by cutting the amount of fuel used only when accelerating from a stop.
Potentially for a manual car (if it has a manual option) having an electric motor for an assisted start can save the clutch too.

Besides if someone buys a hybrid type R, they might not care less about tradition anyway.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Both ICE and electric power trains are so reliable now a days I don't think a hybrid car has to be a liability.

We've had two Prius' and one Civic Hybrid in our family and the stuff that breaks the most is.... Well, nothing.

Maybe if you're buying a German car you're used to fixing all kinds of stuff but this has not been my personal experience with Japanese cars.

jasonklor

unemployed CEO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Integra Type R #0700 | 2019 Civic Type R #25455 | 2020 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I think it would be awesome to see the next type R utilize the Hybrid SH-AWD. I don’t see anything wrong with AWD Honda’s. It’s really the next step in Honda’s evolution, i.e: Gen 2 NSX or AWD K and B series swaps utilizing all Honda parts. I believe the Hybrid SH-AWD is the next big thing for Honda that will put them ahead of the competition. Although I can’t see them doing it to the Civic, but I do see them implementing it on the newly revived Integra Type R!

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Not having an AWD type R never made sense to me. You're competing in a segment of AWD, not having it just seems like a disadvantage.

I feel like going AWD will give the similar response that going turbo did in a good way. Most people will bash "ahhh fwd lighter " but once they start purchasing and driving an all wheel drive honda they will praise it. I knew die hard Honda fans that bashed turbo platforms and preached all motor and some of them are now driving a 10th gen and loving turbo lol. I will say some still prefer all motor so it is what it is I think it was about time Honda went turbo my only complain is how small the displacement in the Si is but it is what it is.

rfor28

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2002 Chevy Silverado, 2000 Infiniti I30, 1985 Toyota Celica Supra, 1981 Toyota Celica Sunchaser
Country flag
Not having an AWD type R never made sense to me. You're competing in a segment of AWD, not having it just seems like a disadvantage.
From what I have read, the current generation of type R were originally to be available in AWD. However, the weight was not distributed nearly as well on the AWD as it was with the FWD, and that's why the AWD didn't make the final cut. Honda intends to have AWD available on the next generation Type R, or so the rumors go.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
It's nothing more than a rumor for now.
It might happen. I'm not saying it can't happen or anything like that.
But it's not the first time that the media's all over this hybrid rumor.
Next gen Golf R, Focus RS, STI will all go hybrid according to all these "rumors."
Chances of that actually happening? I don't know. But at least one of them will gas-only for sure.
In fact, there were SAME rumors before the launch of current gen RS, R and even CTR.
Did it happen? No.

Alim_N

First Name
Alim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't drift it in snow and gets viewed as less desirable in snow compared to the competition which all offer that feature. I mean I didn't buy one, i have no doubt a type R is amazing, but the hell if i'm buying a 40k car that doesn't have AWD when i live in a snowy climate. When I'm spending that much money I expect AWD.
I have a type r in Ontario and I can tell you it doesn't need to be AWD.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have a type r in Ontario and I can tell you it doesn't need to be AWD.
nothing NEEDS awd, but as I said if i'm spending that much i personally expect it, so i will not spend that much on something without it, regardless if it's needed.

Alim_N

First Name
Alim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nothing NEEDS awd, but as I said if i'm spending that much i personally expect it, so i will not spend that much on something without it, regardless if it's needed.
Well considering it slaps its other awd competitors, it's def worth its price tag. It's a damn sick ride. Still excited to drive to work everyday.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
You are missing the fact of the day to day driving.
Being able of gunning the car on first gear and being pushed into the seat on many types of roads conditions is priceless.

Main reason I love my car.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am fine with it being a hybrid only if it remains front wheel drive and only available with a stick. If it becomes AWD then simply put it’s not a true Type R anymore in my eyes. The FK8 showed the world that FWD could be just as capable as all or even rear wheel drive. Adding all that extra weight that comes with AWD will only serve to dilute that heritage.

We’ll see “, but luckily I got mine to hold onto in the event everything holds true.
Absolutely right, with this, though I would just add that part of the CTR heritage is also street ‘race car’ performance at an ‘every person’ budget. So, hybridization, FWD 6MT, and the same price point.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I don't think Honda would ever do that, but an automatic Type R/Si would be welcome in my book.
I would have bought the si if it was automatic. Don't get me wrong , manuals are cool if you live in the right place, but my drive is like an hour one way and sucks enough in an automatic.

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hell no, Si's and Type-R have always been manual and I hope it stays that way. In my opinion, if you are going to own a sports car, there's no other choice then going manual. Make them automatic and you're just gonna kill the manual market more than it is dying right now.
Sponsored