Sad news...MK6 Civic Type R may go hybrid

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
it is really going to be a "type R" though if its electric....
Sponsored

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am fine with it being a hybrid only if it remains front wheel drive and only available with a stick. If it becomes AWD then simply put it’s not a true Type R anymore in my eyes. The FK8 showed the world that FWD could be just as capable as all or even rear wheel drive. Adding all that extra weight that comes with AWD will only serve to dilute that heritage.

We’ll see “, but luckily I got mine to hold onto in the event everything holds true.
ummm yeah they are actually thinking of making it 4WD as well as a hybrid...

Here is the quote for Car & Driver article
"That's not quite official confirmation, but it sure is a strong hint. It could also hint at an even bigger change for the Civic Type R. After all, while Honda sells fuel-efficient hybrids with front-wheel drive, it seems to prefer all-wheel drive for its performance hybrids. If the hybridized Type R from Orbis Wheels that we drove last year is any indication, an e-AWD hot hatch could be a lot of fun."

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would so much rather them try this with an Acura instead. Next you’ll tell me they plan to offer an automatic option as well...

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I would so much rather them try this with an Acura instead. Next you’ll tell me they plan to offer an automatic option as well...
Auto trans and hybrid drivetrain were already tried on an Acura.

Acura NSX

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
What is the actual benefit to making the type r or any performance car a hybrid? Other than making it more expensive, more complex, higher repair costs and minimal mpg improvement.
Everything the NSX does could have been achieved with a simpler, cheaper AWD system.
A $24k Prius is in the same class (size) as a $13k Versa with the main differences being one gets maybe 35% better mpg but costs double. Pay 100% more for 35% better gas mileage, higher long term repair costs, no thanks. Leave the type r as is please.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
A $24k Prius is in the same class (size) as a $13k Versa with the main differences being one gets maybe 35% better mpg but costs double. Pay 100% more for 35% better gas mileage, higher long term repair costs, no thanks. Leave the type r as is please.
That's a dumb comparison, Versa is a piece of garbage. Prius is actually one of the most reliable cars available. A more apples-to-apples comparison of hybrid vs conventional can probably be found with the Rav4. The hybrid Rav4 costs $800 extra compared to the non-hybrid, gets 15 more hp, and uses 40% less fuel.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
That is true about ideal circumstances vs real world driving. With the current Rav4, the EPA rates it as 28% more efficient that the non-hybrid. Real-world driving on Fuelly shows that it's actually around 35% more efficient than the non-hybrid.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ive never driven a sporty hybrid vehicle before but to me it doesn't sound like a terrible idea. As long as the manual is still there and you can still hear the car's engine, who cares? It can only add HP right?

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We still have more than 2 years to speculate. The 11G Civic is only due for Fall 2020 and the Type R probably not before Spring/Summer 2021...

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
So a Prius which is a compact car is comparable to a rav4 and my comparison was dumb?

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Prius to Versa is dumb. Rav4 to Rav4 is a more direct comparison.
It's not.
The Prius is a compact car, not an cuv, suv, or sav.
The versa is also a compact car similar in size to the prius. Just like a civic and a Jetta. Rav4 would be compared to a crv.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Remember, the Type-R is not a built-from-the-ground-up race car. It's a hopped-up Civic hatchback.

If anything, the tech from the CR-Z/NSX/etc will trickle down (or "trickle up" from the CR-Z) to make a pretty rad, hopped-up hybrid commuter car.

I'd like to see a Type-R or Si version of the little electric Honda due out later this year.
Sponsored