Country flag
Last edited:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Well..downside would be more complicated and more electrical. The upside though , race a Tesla Model X or Chevy bolt (legally) if you get a chance, you will know...

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
If the hybrid TypeR performs just as well or better than the current, I’m for it. I could use a high performance commuter car. Hopefully it doesn’t break the bank because all the high performance hybrids out are out of my price range.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm actually interested to see where this goes, Tesla has proven that electric power can benefit performance. We shall see!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am fine with it being a hybrid only if it remains front wheel drive and only available with a stick. If it becomes AWD then simply put it’s not a true Type R anymore in my eyes. The FK8 showed the world that FWD could be just as capable as all or even rear wheel drive. Adding all that extra weight that comes with AWD will only serve to dilute that heritage.

We’ll see “, but luckily I got mine to hold onto in the event everything holds true.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Just had a comment about Tesla on another thread... my buddy bought one late last year he just wrote Tesla a letter idk how good it will do but at the start of 2019. The car he bought was 7-8k cheaper. Tesla doesn’t let you buy parts. You can’t just walk into Tesla an say can I get a wheel bearing or a ball joint at least that’s what I have been told they won’t sell the consumer parts

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
I agree with you partly zeffy94... Type r should not be awd... it’s just not honda’s nitch in performance... but being hybrid I totally disagree but respect that this is the way it is going so I will hang on to my older vehicles

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I like it - hybrids are good especially for turbo motors where electric power can offset some turbo lag, plus provide some additional torque/power. Just think NSX, 918, P1, LaFerrari, but on a smaller scale.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Well is just a supposition. Nothing is set on stone yet.

But many people were asking for an AWD Type R. A hybrid setup might bring that possibility just like the NSX. I don't mind having one.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I don't hate it. Honestly hybrids are the way of the future whether we like it or not. The only way to keep up with EPA standards is to go hybrid.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well is just a supposition. Nothing is set on stone yet.

But many people were asking for an AWD Type R. A hybrid setup might bring that possibility just like the NSX. I don't mind having one.
Not having an AWD type R never made sense to me. You're competing in a segment of AWD, not having it just seems like a disadvantage.

Snowwolfe

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LX CVT sedan, blue. 2019 F250 Super Duty Lariat 2017 Ford Expedition
Country flag
Once technology figures out nano batteries the ICE engine will disappear forever. But we are still at least 10 years away from seeing nano batteries in commercial use.
Google it when you have the time.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not having an AWD type R never made sense to me. You're competing in a segment of AWD, not having it just seems like a disadvantage.
But it beats its competitors using FWD. How can you possibly move away from that? The only thing I see AWD doing is improving launches, more traction in bad weather (assuming correct tires) but also making the car heavier, probably losing some grip as a result, etc.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
I have my doubts about this happening. Especially from a click bait article of autoblog.

None-the-less, it presents some real issues in regards to weight, heritage, and over all cost of the vehicle.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But it beats its competitors using FWD. How can you possibly move away from that? The only thing I see AWD doing is improving launches, more traction in bad weather (assuming correct tires) but also making the car heavier, probably losing some grip as a result, etc.
Can't drift it in snow and gets viewed as less desirable in snow compared to the competition which all offer that feature. I mean I didn't buy one, i have no doubt a type R is amazing, but the hell if i'm buying a 40k car that doesn't have AWD when i live in a snowy climate. When I'm spending that much money I expect AWD.
Sponsored