Sad news...MK6 Civic Type R may go hybrid

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What happend to the last "sport-ish hybrid" honda release...... yhea, you dont remember because no one pay attention to it. CR-Z
I would have preferred to replace my EP3 with a CR-Z. My wife vetoed it, though -- too small, she said, and she didn't want to have to learn to drive stick.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"Electric cars have far fewer parts, which means far fewer people are needed to put them together. When one analyst took apart a Chevrolet Bolt and Volkswagen Golf, he found that the Golf had 125 more moving parts than its electric counterpart."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-about-the-switch-to-electric-cars-2019-10-05
According to the article in your link workers at GM are striking because of electric cars, which allegedly require less labor to assemble. (Btw. Why only "moving parts"? From the point of view of labor needed for assembly there is no difference between moving and not moving parts. A screw still has to be screwed. Toyota says their cars are made of about 30,000 parts, so it seems like 125 is not a big difference https://www.toyota.co.jp/en/kids/faq/d/01/04/)

I don't think robots are the problem for UAW today.. The engine for my car was assembled in Thailand and the transmission in Japan, so they came to the assembly plant in the UK as just 2 parts. It wouldn't matter to the trade union members in the UK whether the engine and the transmission were assembled by the Asians or by robots - they still were not needed to assemble them. Just like the American UAW members are not so much threatened by robots but by other people getting the job.

freezingmoon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
Anyone protesting the idea of a hybrid awd type R is just stuck in the past honestly... Honda has always set the bar with technology to make their cars superior to their competitors, this is just the next logical step in progression... and it makes perfect sense...

Hoang_Honda

First Name
Hoang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Accord V6 Touring. 17 Civic Si Coupe.
Country flag
Ford makes next gen Focus RS as hybrid then I dont see thats a bad idea for Honda to make the Type R a hybrid. It will be more fun with awd and faster than currently FK8 plus u dont have go to gas station frequently to pump that small gas tank lmao

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Anyone promoting the idea of a hybrid type r loves throwing away money honestly ;)

Other than making the car more expensive to buy, maintain and repair what benefit does the hybrid system add that the ICE and modern drivetrains can't already do? Whatever little fuel efficiency you might gain will take years to recover the costs. Look at the NSX. That car could be 20-30k cheaper and sell a lot more and could still be made to perform equal to or better.

Anyone protesting the idea of a hybrid awd type R is just stuck in the past honestly... Honda has always set the bar with technology to make their cars superior to their competitors, this is just the next logical step in progression... and it makes perfect sense...

Deleted member 32006

Still don’t get why this is sad news. Honda has been making huge progress in Formula 1 (most efficient-ever racing engines) with their turbocharged hybrid engines competing with the likes of ferrari and mercedes benz, not to mention they have the engines with the best sound overall:drive:

I’m more than excited on how that technology will translate into everyday cars.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
The idea of an electric motor is not bothering me. My biggest concern is the battery. Although Tesla owners (or so i read/heard somewhere) were saying they experienced small battery degradation over 5 years, my electrical devices (phones, laptops, etc.) makes me still feel uncomfortable with battery technology.

Depending on the type of hybrid, the conventional engine might at least alleviate the impact of batteries running bad.