Sad day, AC condenser broken by stone

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic LX 2.0l 6spd
Country flag
So back in April I noticed the ac didn't work and was pure hot air blowing. Took the car to honda and after paying for ac service they tell me no warranty issue you had a stone go through the condenser. So 500 bucks later for insurance and the car will be fixed Tuesday. Wish Honda didn't have such wide openings in bumpers. This could easily happen again sadly. Stone went in lower right area. Honda quoting like 1200 ish to fix. So this is my bs...
Sponsored

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
So back in April I noticed the ac didn't work and was pure hot air blowing. Took the car to honda and after paying for ac service they tell me no warranty issue you had a stone go through the condenser. So 500 bucks later for insurance and the car will be fixed Tuesday. Wish Honda didn't have such wide openings in bumpers. This could easily happen again sadly. Stone went in lower right area. Honda quoting like 1200 ish to fix. So this is my bs...
im kind of in the same situation actually. my AC use to blow cold air when using the remote start and now its warm when i get inside the car since it would just blow hot air. kinda worried what they will say when i take it in to be checked on.

OP
OP
FedCO

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably same issue. Go get on your knees and look into bumper. Massive openings and since the car sits low, this will always be a real issue. I almost didn't want to replace it ad it's too easy to get anothet stone. I'll get pictures. Asked my friend who is a mechanic and he said it's very common on Honda's especially Accords.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Asked my friend who is a mechanic and he said it's very common on Honda's especially Accords.
Yeah I used to have an Accord and a lot of the guys on Accord forums take their front bumper off and mount Gutter Guard plastic mesh from Home Depot behind the opening to try to protect against this.

This and the fragile Civic windshield are why I try to use my adaptive cruise (with it set on the farthest following distance) as much as possible on the highway.

OP
OP
FedCO

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I need to see what I can do to stop this from happening on my civic.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Er, I thought the opening in the bumper exposed the engine intercooler, not the AC condenser...

OP
OP
FedCO

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Er, I thought the opening in the bumper exposed the engine intercooler, not the AC condenser...
Nope, AC condenser behind ac condenser I'd engine rad.

OP
OP
FedCO

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Misunderstanding. Yes I have the 2.0 l motor.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to learn about your misfortune.

I'm heading over to HD tonight to buy some gutter guard. Been holding off too long.

OP
OP
FedCO

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to learn about your misfortune.

I'm heading over to HD tonight to buy some gutter guard. Been holding off too long.
Do up a how to.

bbecker12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sport
Country flag
3rd time trying to use the A/C in my brand new car, and it blows hot air. I take it up to the dealership to get it fixed under my regular warranty or the extra warranty I paid extra for. A pebble hit the condenser and it is not covered. They refuse to pay for it.
Car specs: 2019 civic sport (black) 4862 miles on the clock.

Let's rewind to 2012. There was a class action lawsuit filed against Honda for this VERY SAME THING, only on a different model. Honda ended up paying out 40million and offered to put a protective screen in front of the condensers prone to road debris damage. WHY ISN'T THIS BEING DONE NOW!?!?!?! Honda has obviously known about these problems, and is still producing cars that are prone to damage through no fault of the consumer.

I did some research and stumbled upon this: https://bergermontague.com/cases/honda-civic-ac-lawsuit/
A NEW class action that is just getting started for 2015-2019, hop on in you guys. Get your hard earned money back.
Sponsored