Sacrifice New and Higher Trim for Reliability?

Snyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I need to find a car that I can use for a minimum of 8 years which led me to the Civic. I've been doing a ton of research and the more research I do, the decision to pick the right car is getting harder.

I'd like the Ex Hatchback or Sedan over an Lx simply because of the Apple CarPlay. I prefer to have a screen to use a GPS rather than have a phone mounted that can distract my view. All other amenities of the Ex are just bonuses for me.

That obviously led me to the 2019/20 Ex. I prefer the hatchback over the sedan as well. I was sold on the car until I read about oil dilution issues. I live in Buffalo and my commute is typically in the 10-15 minute range max. Seems like the formula for having issues. I know the 2019/20 models supposedly have been fixed but there still seems to be a bit of skepticism online which led me to look into the 2.0L engines.

As you know the the Lx comes with the 2.0L engine but without any of the Ex amenities. That led me to used 2017/18 Ex Civics which have the amenities of the 2019/20 model (minus Honda Sensing) in addition to the 2.0L engine.

I'm looking for input/recommendations for picking the right car. I prefer a new one for peace of mind but not if I may face mechanical issues.

To recap, these are my options (in order of preference at my current mindset).

1. Select a 2017 or 2018 Sedan Ex since the car has a 2.0L engine which is not affected by abnormal oil dilution. The car also has a touch screen. The biggest missing feature compared to a new one is the Honda Sensing. The car is however used but CPO. $16k for 30k miles.

2. Select a 2019/20 hatchback or sedan Ex. Take the risk with the dilution and take Honda at their word that the issue is fixed. I get everything I want (new and shiny, touch screen with Apple Car Play, Honda Sensing, plus other features) but with the risk of reliability. Should be around $21.5k for a Sedan and $22.5k for a Hatchback in my area.

3. Just get a new Lx. I get a new car so I don't have to deal with the risk of buying used. The car also has a 2.0L engine. Has no Apple CarPlay but has Honda Sensing. Should be around $18-19k in my area and it's close enough to used cars that it makes sense to buy new.
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Geico has mechanical breakdown insurance which cover 7 years or 100k miles if you afraid of car breaking down. It's like $80 per year and it can bundle up with their insurance.

For for which option?? Always buy new unless money is really a problem, then buy used.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Personally I think the fuel dilution concerns are a bit overblown. DI engines have some amount of dilution by design, full stop. Honda knew this when they created the 1.5T. Despite all of the hand-wringing over gasoline-scented oil, I have yet to see any real proof that excessive dilution led to any sort of failure.

If you commit to regular oil changes, perhaps even more frequently than the maintenance minder suggests, then dilution should be a non-issue.

That said: the 2.0 is a great engine. If you're satisfied with its performance, then it might be the better choice for you. If your primary hesitation is due to the absence of Carplay - then consider the fact that you can upgrade the LX's head unit, now or down the road. Lots of options out there with built-in Carplay, from simple single DIN head units to fancy Android-based double DIN units with a zillion features. Head over to the Audio/Nav/Electronics subforum for more info on this subject.

A factor that may or may not be relevant to you: do you intend to mod your car? Specifically, do you think you'll ever want more horsepower? Because the 1.5T has considerably more headroom in this regard than the 2.0. It's easier to get more power out of the forced-induction engine.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I would simplify it for you like this..

if you are the type of person who takes your car to the dealership for every and all maintenance, donā€™t know much about cars/hardly take care of them (just use it to get from Point A to Point B), and take short trips where you never let the oil get up to temperature... then get the 2.0 NA engine

if you know about cars, perform your own maintenance/take care of your vehicles, take longer trips that allow to oil to get to temperature then get the 1.5T.

I have a 2019 Hatch, on a oil analysis on my 3 oil change with 5,600 on it I had 0.8% (within norm is 2% or less). I did switch from pump gas to an ethanol bled about 4,000miles into the oil. I use Amsoil SS so I trust their oil to be able to handle the break down and be resistant to the dilution. Itā€™s a direct injection vehicle, fuel in the oil is not uncommon in any DI vehicle. Itā€™s just a problem when itā€™s high. The older civic models when on cold start would dump excessive fuel to warm the vehicle faster, that would get in the oil and if the oil is not allowed to warm up to temp then it would stay in the oil. That over time would cause a high % of fuel in the oil. Let it get up to temp and itā€™ll burn off in the oil

Last edited:

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
If you want all the bells and whistles then get 1.5t with all the features you want. Iā€™d even say look for a 2016-current touring model if you want the features.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I'd get the 1.5, tbh. More power, and super efficient. I have a 2020 SI, and have driven 9k miles so far, and I haven't had any problems so far. My commute is 40-60 minutes though so I rarely do short trips. When I checked my oil, it seemed fine though (no excessive dilution).

If you buy new, you're covered by the 36k mile warranty. That should give some piece of mind.

I do understand that this can be a tough call though. You definitely don't want a lemon. I was also worried about the fuel dilution at first, but it's been smoothe sailing since I got my car. Again, I don't do short trips though...

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'd get the 1.5, tbh. More power, and super efficient. I have a 2020 SI, and have driven 9k miles so far, and I haven't had any problems so far. My commute is 40-60 minutes though so I rarely do short trips. When I checked my oil, it seemed fine though (no excessive dilution).

If you buy new, you're covered by the 36k mile warranty. That should give some piece of mind.

I do understand that this can be a tough call though. You definitely don't want a lemon. I was also worried about the fuel dilution at first, but it's been smoothe sailing since I got my car. Again, I don't do short trips though...
Also, a lot of the older years (2016, 2017), and I think more newer ones have a 6 year unlimited mile warranty extension because of that issue. I know my 2017 sedan has the extension

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
personally as someone who's concerned about the longevity of a 1.5T i still don't see 8 years as the issue. Now 15-20 years i doubt this thing lasts that long, but if you're swapping out oil ever 4k miles like I am, 8 years should be do-able.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
All trims are good to get except the touring and ex-l are worth getting unless youā€™d kill for leather, navigation and subjective comfort. The hatchback sport is the best bang civic if youā€™re looking for power and integrated CarPlay/android auto. The reason Iā€™m believe the ex-l and touring trims are not worth it because of their price tag for leather and nav. The si has everything those trims have with more power minus the leather and navigation for about the same cost of the ex-l. I personally donā€™t care for leather seats. They suck at winter and the heat of summer. Iā€™m basing it on Hondaā€™s current msrp. Dealership price may change what is best.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
All trims are good to get except the touring and ex-l are worth getting unless youā€™d kill for leather, navigation and subjective comfort. The hatchback sport is the best bang civic if youā€™re looking for power and integrated CarPlay/android auto. The reason Iā€™m believe the ex-l and touring trims are not worth it because of their price tag for leather and nav. The si has everything those trims have with more power minus the leather and navigation for about the same cost of the ex-l. I personally donā€™t care for leather seats. They suck at winter and the heat of summer. Iā€™m basing it on Hondaā€™s current msrp. Dealership price may change what is best.
2020 sport. If the 2018 sport was what the 2020 was Iā€™d own that instead of an ex