"S" Mode

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
Hey, guys/gals. Have a question regarding driving in S mode for an extended period of time. Driving to and from work for me one way is about 50-60 miles and noticed that when driving on "S" the rpm would sit at about 3000rpms at 80mph and when on "D" at 80mph the rmp would sit at about 1500 to 2000rpms. Just wondering if "S" mode is designed to be driven at a longer period of time or just maybe 5 mins or so to keep the transmission safe?
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's nothing wrong with driving in S mode at all times. It just keeps the transmission in a "lower gear" and allows for slightly better acceleration.

If it was going to cause transmission issues, they wouldn't have put it in, or they would have a redesigned transmission. So if you like it, put it in S mode and enjoy it!

OP
OP

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, lol. I love hearing the engine and I'm loving the high rpm's on this little 4banger. I had a 370z before this with 7400rpm redline and this has a 6800rpm redline I believe. This is my first honda car and I'm loving their engine.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
wait, so you are willingly putting more strain on your engine, use more gas, etc., just because you like how it sounds at higher RPMs...?

There's nothing wrong with it, but it sounds incredibly strange - you probably got the wrong car lol

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
6500rpm redline. And ya you'll go through a boat load more fuel. That's all I have to say.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
wait, so you are willingly putting more strain on your engine, use more gas, etc., just because you like how it sounds at higher RPMs...?

There's nothing wrong with it, but it sounds incredibly strange - you probably got the wrong car lol
Doesn't sound strange at all, it has a really nice sound actually. :)

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
S mode is fine if I'm tooling around the streets or going from stoplight to stoplight. But during a recent test of mileage, I kept my Civic in S mode for a 15-mile commute and I didn't care for the increased droning from the engine during my longer stretch of driving on the highway and, yeah, the mileage dropped by about 5 mpg as compared to normal Drive mode. And the weird part is, I didn't really feel like I was getting any more performance out of it either. Just more... Noise.

OP
OP

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe

Well, I didn't really get this car for the mileage so I couldn't care less about it and if Honda didn't want an engine with a 6500 redline to go to 6500rpms then what's the point? I'm not saying I want to drive this car at redline every time but I think it's a valid question. Honestly, I go through cars like nothing but I wanted to get a reliable but fun daily driver. I could've bought a mustang gt or gone with another 370z but those cars aren't really great for daily driving and putting 150miles a day on.

OP
OP

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
S mode is fine if I'm tooling around the streets or going from stoplight to stoplight. But during a recent test of mileage, I kept my Civic in S mode for a 15-mile commute and I didn't care for the increased droning from the engine during my longer stretch of driving on the highway and, yeah, the mileage dropped by about 5 mpg as compared to normal Drive mode. And the weird part is, I didn't really feel like I was getting any more performance out of it either. Just more... Noise.
I did feel it pull faster when passing on S mode on the highway. It feels faster to me than what the price tag is and I think some faster cars on the freeway are kinda surprised that this little civic coupe can keep up some.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
If you wanna go the fastest, put it in L.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
My original confusion was for exactly that - if you're going at a steady speed, your acceleration is 0 m/s2. Since there's no acceleration, there's no net performance difference, it'll just be your engine working at a higher RPM.

Imagine two guys riding a bike down the street, where one guy is pedaling much harder than the other guy...but they're both going 10mph. It doesn't make sense lol.

If you really want to listen to engine drone, cut out your resonator. You can keep RPM's low and save fuel, and still have that nice annoying sound!

But as far as acceleration goes, S/L is quite fun, yes.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Gets rid of the fake shifts in L, just pulls n pulls n pulls! Try pumping the gas from 75%-100% you'll feel a nice boost when you do that too. I always drive mine in D 99% of the time though. Agreed with @inv4zn just cut out some exhaust if you want more sound. It wastes a lotta gas when your in S & L

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
6500rpm redline. And ya you'll go through a boat load more fuel. That's all I have to say.
Yeep it's fun driving in S mode but I lost 10mpg driving in it..so now only do it sometimes..Lol..But it is way fun:D

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It's almost like having 2 different cars.

D with Eco when I'm carting my wife/family/friends around. The acceleration is so smooth and there's enough torque to propel the car forward so it doesn't feel sluggish. It's rides like a more expensive car.

S with no Eco and AC off when I'm in a speedy mood. Suddenly, the car has the kind of balls I'd expect for its price range. Peppy, ready, and willing. Probably not going to win many stoplight encounters but fun when already up to speed.

Turning off the AC was actually quite a revelation. Still not enough fun to trump a 6 speed, but better.
Sponsored