2.0L RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
you may need to adjust the defouler by screwing it in/out, but you don’t need to be tuned to run the downpipe code free.

Also, when switching off the codes, readiness for catalyst is not green/red but simply blank. Some states will allow this for one, others none. Best to find out beforehand.
Sponsored

Sylar

First Name
Elbya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2017
Country flag
So, should I pass the inspection? I really want to install downpipe. :( Anyway, I live in Sacramento, CA

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
CA has obnoxious laws, to the point I wouldn't even bother unless it's CARB approved. Though if you're willing to swap out the part for inspection, should be fine unless you get pulled over and they ask you to lift your hood. Have had several friends harassed by officers because their car wasn't more than 6 inches off the ground...

Last edited:

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
So, should I pass the inspection? I really want to install downpipe. :( Anyway, I live in Sacramento, CA
Man, I live in SoCal and I have not had to "pass an inspection" since owning this car (2016). Just save the stock part and if you are paranoid and switch it out when you need to.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Since it’s about to get into the mid 90’s next week in my neck of the woods, I’ve been thinking about heat management on the downpipe.

I tried to mock up some brackets to weld on to the downpipe in the hopes of retaining the factory heat shields, but they will not fit without significant trimming/bending.

So this is what I’ve settled on:

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 1C144B2E-465A-4451-9871-8A0906F85A7C

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 0EE75970-D9A0-4E44-92D2-E8AEA58C9FE7

The downpipe and front pipe are wrapped and coated, but the wrap won’t really secure to the bellmouth, and there is quite a bit of radiant heat coming from there, so I wrapped a cheap $28 turbo blanket from Amazon around it and it seems to do the job.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it's ceramic coated that's a pretty solid heat reduction. Won't get much benefit from wrapping or additional shielding save a few degrees that won't impact performance or reliability.

Interesting intake design. What is that?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
If it's ceramic coated that's a pretty solid heat reduction. Won't get much benefit from wrapping or additional shielding save a few degrees that won't impact performance or reliability.

Interesting intake design. What is that?
I thought that too, but when I noticed that the side of my airbox lid had melted, it made me reconsider just how much heat that downpipe puts out.

The exhaust started putting out more heat after installing a bigger front pipe, which is also coated and wrapped. After thoroughly testing with an infrared thermometer, the bellmouth was the final culprit, being the only part of the exhaust that was unwrapped. I think all of the heat shielding might have caused a hot spot there. I’ve had zero issues since installing the blanket.

The intake is a custom piece I made, ironically because the stock airbox lid had melted, which gave me the idea. So I bought another one and cut the MAF housing out of it. I got some 2.75” aluminum pipe bends and cut up the AEM intake that I had sitting in the shed.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 209E2814-DADC-48E7-A513-B9ABD2315703

It draws air from the fenderwell, and never gets heat soaked. IAT’s are never more than 1* above ambient. Huge increase in torque and throttle response below 4k rpm’s. Superior to stock and aftermarket intakes in every way.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I thought that too, but when I noticed that the side of my airbox lid had melted, it made me reconsider just how much heat that downpipe puts out.

The exhaust started putting out more heat after installing a bigger front pipe, which is also coated and wrapped. After thoroughly testing with an infrared thermometer, the bellmouth was the final culprit, being the only part of the exhaust that was unwrapped. I think all of the heat shielding might have caused a hot spot there. I’ve had zero issues since installing the blanket.

The intake is a custom piece I made, ironically because the stock airbox lid had melted, which gave me the idea. So I bought another one and cut the MAF housing out of it. I got some 2.75” aluminum pipe bends and cut up the AEM intake that I had sitting in the shed.

209E2814-DADC-48E7-A513-B9ABD2315703.jpeg

It draws air from the fenderwell, and never gets heat soaked. IAT’s are never more than 1* above ambient. Huge increase in torque and throttle response below 4k rpm’s. Superior to stock and aftermarket intakes in every way.
Whoa hold up- are there bigger aftermarket front pipes available for 2.0's or was it a custom fabrication?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Whoa hold up- are there bigger aftermarket front pipes available for 2.0's or was it a custom fabrication?
It wasn’t custom fab outright, but it did involve a little cutting, bending, and welding.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 6BF9212F-07A0-45DB-8C27-A68ED37051F9

The OEM front pipe is cut after the flex section and is retained. The back portion is cut from the Invidia 1.5T 60mm front pipe, and is welded to the OEM section. Additionally, the pipe hanger has to be bent slightly so that it lines up with the subframe hanger.

After installing it, I was absolutely amazed at how the car changed. More torque down low and more power on the top end. Power gain, when combined with the Invidia exhaust, is comparable to the downpipe. The noise was horrendous though. Had to add a turbo muffler and an extra res to tone it down.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
It wasn’t custom fab outright, but it did involve a little cutting, bending, and welding.

6BF9212F-07A0-45DB-8C27-A68ED37051F9.jpeg

The OEM front pipe is cut after the flex section and is retained. The back portion is cut from the Invidia 1.5T 60mm front pipe, and is welded to the OEM section. Additionally, the pipe hanger has to be bent slightly so that it lines up with the subframe hanger.

After installing it, I was absolutely amazed at how the car changed. More torque down low and more power on the top end. Power gain, when combined with the Invidia exhaust, is comparable to the downpipe. The noise was horrendous though. Had to add a turbo muffler and an extra res to tone it down.
Ahh I remember seeing this described in a post a while which must of been you, this project seems way more involved than my experience level but it's great to know this is doable. Hopefully the aftermarket takes note of this but I'm not gonna get my hopes up lol

OP
OP
RV6

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for the delay guys. RV6 just moved to a new larger location. We are working on a catted 2.0L downpipe. The prototype is done, however we are looking for a tester local to Chicago. We need to postion the secondary O2 bung and test for CELs. Shoot us a PM if interested.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers rv6-20L-Catted-Downpipe-2

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
I was one of the original beta testers for the catless version... I am definitely down to try this one out

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
I will have to work that out with my job, I’m thinking 3 days over there ... will that be enough data ?

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wish I was local, just failed Texas inspection because my O2 sensors are disabled to prevent CEL. Gonna have to swap out and re-enable since even the updated O2 defouler doesn't prevent CEL 100%. It's a 15 minute job, but a pain given the 100°F outsidd temp and time it takes for that pipe to cool down.

Anyone wanna buy my ceramic coated catless pipe? It's nice and broken in with nearly 18 months of use... :D
Sponsored