RV6 Flywheel

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10 hours in my opinion is high. The book might say 8.5 hours but Louis from VCD racing did my clutch job in 6 hours and he stopped for lunch.
No doubt you can do it quicker if you've done a bunch of them. Most shops are going to look at book rate and charge you accordingly.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
10 hours in my opinion is high. The book might say 8.5 hours but Louis from VCD racing did my clutch job in 6 hours and he stopped for lunch.
Yea, I had @BercianAutomotive do mine on Saturday and it took him about 5-6 hours to do it. Great work btw

Side Note: I got my RV6 flywheel and Exedy Stage 1 clutch installed and it feels amazing. The stage 1 is a lot stiffer than I expected it to be. Would the PRL steel clutch line contribute to the stiffness? That being said it feels good, I'm still breaking it in. 375 miles to go.

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to post!!
Country flag
Yea, I had @BercianAutomotive do mine on Saturday and it took him about 5-6 hours to do it. Great work btw

Side Note: I got my RV6 flywheel and Exedy Stage 1 clutch installed and it feels amazing. The stage 1 is a lot stiffer than I expected it to be. Would the PRL steel clutch line contribute to the stiffness? That being said it feels good, I'm still breaking it in. 375 miles to go.
Thanks brother. Also, yes, the clutch line will make the pedal feel a bit stiffer. The stock rubber hose expands under hydraulic pressure. The stainless steel line eliminates that.

john doe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Any update on the second batch? I ordered the stage 0 kit on April 2nd from Two Step. I'm in no hurry but I've got an autocross on Aug 21st and need to decide if I should plan a weekend for a clutch swap.

Bozo8823

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Any update on the second batch? I ordered the stage 0 kit on April 2nd from Two Step. I'm in no hurry but I've got an autocross on Aug 21st and need to decide if I should plan a weekend for a clutch swap.
I have also been impatiently waiting. Ordered mine at the beginning of may.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
What are you guys using/ planning to use, in place of the Honda high temp polyurea grease, as I've just found out it is on nationwide backorder?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
🙋🏼 Q: why cant we all set up some sort or tool sharing network?

Seems like many of y’all on here have done this install yourselves, which means you bought the random specialty tools to make it happen (engine hoist, subframe alignment pin, etc.). Instead of us all buying all of those specialty parts for a one-time use, why not set up a tool sharing network between us all?

Surely, it must be less expensive to ship the tools around to one another than for all of us to unnecessarily buy the same stuff.

For example, I make a list of tools/equipment I need, and people list their availability. The ‘renter’ pays for shipping from/to the owner, or if someone else needs the same piece, the next ‘renter’ pays for shipping, and so forth.

Thoughts?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
🙋🏼 Q: why cant we all set up some sort or tool sharing network?

Seems like many of y’all on here have done this install yourselves, which means you bought the random specialty tools to make it happen (engine hoist, subframe alignment pin, etc.). Instead of us all buying all of those specialty parts for a one-time use, why not set up a tool sharing network between us all?

Surely, it must be less expensive to ship the tools around to one another than for all of us to unnecessarily buy the same stuff.

For example, I make a list of tools/equipment I need, and people list their availability. The ‘renter’ pays for shipping from/to the owner, or if someone else needs the same piece, the next ‘renter’ pays for shipping, and so forth.

Thoughts?
I've thought about this too a bit and while I think it's a great idea in theory, I think in practice it would end up with people just keeping tools or abusing them with no real recourse. There'd have to be some sort of security deposit and a good way to track who has the tools at any given time. For the initial purchaser, how would that person get reimbursed? Honestly, I think the best option is to just buy the tools and just resell them when you're done at a reasonable price. The subframe alignment pin is a great example since it's used so infrequently.

OP
OP
Jason Baker

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really like the concept and I would share tools with some of the more outstanding members on this forum.
However, I agree with the latter. Some people don’t deserve to bare the responsibility of sharing tools.
I personally own a lot of tools and I never lend them out. Mostly because the normal person has no idea how to use them and would never replace them if they broke them.
I would also wonder what legal protection a “tool-share “ has.
I mean, an engine lift could easily be used or setup incorrectly and bam, someone gets their head crushed and now some ass-hat from some car forum is being sued for someone else’s negligence.
So I appreciate the idea and again, I would share my tools with “most” people on this forum but I would largely avoid it in general.
Besides that, most of the tools we need to do major work, is not super expensive.

One other thing. Shipping tools could get pricey quick and shipping rates suck lately.
For example, I just spent $70 on a fender roller. I will use it once! Maybe twice. I won’t “need” it probably ever again. But, I’ll keep it “in case” someone else needs it. I just hoard tools that way.

That being said, shipping that tool would be pricey! It’s weird shape and silly weight would make it cost prohibitive to share. Just as an example. Other tools, like say, a set of 12point sockets is just smart to have. They will never go bad and will work on all hardware.
Just saying……

Jjakef96

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Harbor Freight is really good for these specialty use tools. I got the engine support bar and made it work. Was it what the Honda Service manual tells you to do? Not at all. But it works.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/how-to-suspend-engine.73912/post-1129342

Also the transmission jack from them really helped with this install. I used the jack to lower and raise the subframe so I was able to do it myself in the garage. Then obviously it helps when pulling and placing the transmission.

For the subframe alignment pin, I was able to use a deep socket that fit in there pretty snug.

I guess what I am trying to get is that they offer specialty tools at a reasonable price. Maybe the first time you do a job with the tool you don't save any money when you compare it to shop rates. But you do gain quite a bit when you do it yourself.

1) The specialty tools - so when you have to do a similar job on a different platform it is already there.

2) The experience - You've done it once, you can do it again and if something goes wrong down the line it is not so daunting having to do it again

3) Sense of pride and accomplishment - Not some EA bullshit. You did a large job and got it done when most people would just take it to the shop. Not only should you feel proud of what you did but you put in your own blood, sweat, and tears. This usually helps me change my mentality when looking at the car from, "It is just another car/object" to, "This is my car, and it is unique because of what I did to it."

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-...ort-bar-96524.html?_br_psugg_q=engine+support

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-l...jack-61232.html?_br_psugg_q=transmission+jack

Last edited: