RV6 Downpipe Teaser

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
The restriction at this point is the turbo/turbine. Not the DP or exhaust. I've already tested PRL's 3" full catless DP at factory boost levels and it didn't make any power when actually using a proper before & after tune. Pending on a clutch to test high boost to see how much torque we can make with the DP, but anyone looking for "big" power gains will need a replacement turbo first as the exhaust is NOT the restriction. The turbine wheel and turbine exit is TINY and even the factory downpipe/exhaust is enormous in comparison.

mathew62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The restriction at this point is the turbo/turbine. Not the DP or exhaust. I've already tested PRL's 3" full catless DP at factory boost levels and it didn't make any power when actually using a proper before & after tune. Pending on a clutch to test high boost to see how much torque we can make with the DP, but anyone looking for "big" power gains will need a replacement turbo first as the exhaust is NOT the restriction. The turbine wheel and turbine exit is TINY and even the factory downpipe/exhaust is enormous in comparison.
So are you saying that a downpipe is pointless unless you upgrade the turbo?

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
both are useless unless you max out your car on a custom tune first.
not really IMO, I somewhat understand what you are saying but you'd be better off making x amount of power from an upgraded turbo that's well within its range of efficiency than trying to completely max out the little stocker.

Reactions: RV6

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
not really IMO, I somewhat understand what you are saying but you'd be better off making x amount of power from an upgraded turbo that's well within its range of efficiency than trying to completely max out the little stocker.
I'm pretty sure I've maxed out the little baby stock turbo with just a tune and good fuel.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if your really looking for a power monster, max out your tune first...THEN upgrade your turbo, see if you can extract more from that, Then maybe DP Then maybe IC. either way you'll be needing a new clutch.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
The 10th gen Si having the same 1.5 engine might actually be a boon for the EXT if Honda decides to put a bigger turbo on the Si lol, assuming the flanges line up etc. Instant upgrade path for the EXt guys!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
The 10th gen Si having the same 1.5 engine might actually be a boon for the EXT if Honda decides to put a bigger turbo on the Si lol, assuming the flanges line up etc. Instant upgrade path for the EXt guys!
Not for CVT owners xD

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
let's admit it, Honda knew exactly what they were doing in selling us CVTs and the same for the manual with the clutch, they know the full potential of the 1.5 they know how hot the aftermarket is for the civic. they got it locked down so only SI and SIR consumers can take advantage of the aftermarket. pay to play!

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
Not for CVT owners xD
Well, depends how you look at it. It could just mean we might eventually see posts like "How much will a new cvt unit cost me", "cvt went boom :(", "how well is your cvt holding up with the bigger turbo" or "cvt acting weird after turbo upgrade" lol

OP
OP
RV6

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that a catted downpipe??Haha
The one on the left is catted and OE lol.

I am excited to see what your car will do with a new clutch. At what power level did it start slipping and do you have a lead on a beefier replacement? We will do our own testing and hopefully our clutch holds out. Hoping to see some improvements in spool and transient response.

Well, depends how you look at it. It could just mean we might eventually see posts like "How much will a new cvt unit cost me", "cvt went boom :(", "how well is your cvt holding up with the bigger turbo" or "cvt acting weird after turbo upgrade" lol
I haven't heard of Honda's CVTs having any major issues. The Civic is a mass produced and for every "tuner" there are 100s regular drivers. So the junk yards should be stocked with plenty of used CVT for cheap.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I am excited to see what your car will do with a new clutch. At what power level did it start slipping and do you have a lead on a beefier replacement? We will do our own testing and hopefully our clutch holds out. Hoping to see some improvements in spool and transient response.
First time it slipped was about 260wtq. Then it finally really let go around 280-290wtq. Each time it recovered -- to a point. But I can tell the slip events had wear & tear on the assembly and it's just not the same. HOlds reduced torque levels OK (around 250wtq seems to hold out).

You won't see any changes in spool or response because this is all electronically limited by the ECU. Especially with Hondata where you can't even change these control parameters (yet?). Even with the stock DP the turbo can be tuned to spool a LOT faster -- with the correct tune changes. With the aftermarket DP the turbo *does* want to come in quicker, but the ECU is keeping it from doing so as the WG is electronically controlled and the ECU uses slope logic to bring in spool. I believe this is to protect the engine/trans. Otherwise with this tiny turbo and even the factory DP I would expect peak torque #'s starting 600-800 rpm sooner even "bone stock".

At this point any graphs indicating "faster spool" are misinformation. I have dozens and dozens of pulls on our Dynapack now and every single one spools the same, regardless of how much boost I'm targetting or what mods I've put on (baring any dyno ramp rate changes or tune settings to let the turbo come in quicker).

I haven't heard of Honda's CVTs having any major issues. The Civic is a mass produced and for every "tuner" there are 100s regular drivers. So the junk yards should be stocked with plenty of used CVT for cheap.
@Hondata broke a CVT intentionally to find the limit if I'm not mistaken. KTuner has also had his personal CVT test car whine and scream, so we know where the limit is. They are not very strong and they are very expensive to replace if buying one from Honda. Tuning them should be done with care and with an "OK" from the owner to push it.
Sponsored