Rv6 catless downpipe CEL

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
So thats what i assumed as well. But the next day after like 50miles i got cel again for o2 sensor
Hmmm never have gotten a cel on my Si with that disabled. Several thousand miles with the PRL Catless DP/FP
Sponsored

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
got P0420 last night on my PRL pipes. Crap road conditions, and I do not think I even got above 50mph

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP

Imski

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
After i took off the defouler, i havent gotten cel yet.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
got P0420 last night on my PRL pipes. Crap road conditions, and I do not think I even got above 50mph
I got this same code last night after doing some 1/4 mile runs at the track. Here is the log I pulled from my Torque Pro App. I have a PRL catted downpipe. Just sharing in case others run into this. I cleared it in the ECU but keeps coming back as pending.

Guess I will have to disable it with Ktuner (If it is not grayed out). This is not cool for folks that don't have ECU tuning software to disable it though.

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: ********************
Vehicle Manufacturer: Honda
Vehicle Calibration ID: ******************

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I got this same code last night after doing some 1/4 mile runs at the track. Here is the log I pulled from my Torque Pro App. I have a PRL catted downpipe. Just sharing in case others run into this. I cleared it in the ECU but keeps coming back as pending.

Guess I will have to disable it with Ktuner (If it is not grayed out). This is not cool for folks that don't have ECU tuning software to disable it though.

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: ********************
Vehicle Manufacturer: Honda
Vehicle Calibration ID: ******************

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.
You should know that if you are going to buy a major mod such as the downpipe, that you should buy tuning software. I’ll never understand people wanting to buy aftermarket parts but don’t want to buy the tune to go along with it? The code appears because you are now catless, I see you are catted but it doesn’t matter, the computer will see it as catless. It’s not the OEM cat. It’s not the OEM size downpipe either. Get Ktuner and you can disable it. Codes are disappear, but just because you don’t see the light on, doesn’t mean it’s not stored. And the tuning comment is not implied to you, it’s for anyone thinking they can change the way the car performs without changing the ECU’s tune. If you don’t have Ktuner or Hondata you probably should stick to ride quality or cosmetics, for anyone reading this.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should know that if you are going to buy a major mod such as the downpipe, that you should buy tuning software. I’ll never understand people wanting to buy aftermarket parts but don’t want to buy the tune to go along with it?
I've done this for years without issues. A tune will improve some aspects of the car but it wasn't needed for the most part. Even on my Honda Fit!

The code appears because you are now catless, I see you are catted but it doesn’t matter, the computer will see it as catless. It’s not the OEM cat. It’s not the OEM size downpipe either. Get Ktuner and you can disable it.
None of my other vehicles have had problems with running an aftermarket cat converter. Even my 2015 Honda Fit that I traded in, which had an RV6 catless pipe on it, didn't throw a code. Didn't need my Ktuner to disable anything. Both my Subarus (1989 and 1997) have aftermarket cat convters....they are on a different platform though. My 1997 Outback has a 3" cat converter though. No issues on codes and no tuner (Just an SAFC to control air/fuel ratios).

And the tuning comment is not implied to you, it’s for anyone thinking they can change the way the car performs without changing the ECU’s tune. If you don’t have Ktuner or Hondata you probably should stick to ride quality or cosmetics, for anyone reading this.
I know it's not towards me and that's cool. It's not just anyone making a claim. PRL makes the claim that it performs well without a tune though.
Catted Downpipe + Front Pipe Gains WITHOUT Tuning on Our CVT Car:
  • 400 RPM increase in peak torque
  • 40+ hp and 50+ ft/lbs tq down low
  • 10 hp and 14 ft/lbs tq at peak
  • 10 hp and 14-20+ ft/lbs tq throughout mid-range/top
From THIS thread!

Any thoughts on that?

I am not even implying that this is a problem or anyone shouldn't purchase this product. Just sharing what happened yesterday. People can gather from this info what they want though. :)
This popped up after doing nine 1/4 mile runs at the track and I was leaving the track, heading down a road to get on a highway.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I definitely wouldn’t say it’s required. But there’s no sense in buying performance parts and no tuning software. That’s just my logic. The real benefits are in the tune.

Diasnipes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
You should know that if you are going to buy a major mod such as the downpipe, that you should buy tuning software. I’ll never understand people wanting to buy aftermarket parts but don’t want to buy the tune to go along with it? The code appears because you are now catless, I see you are catted but it doesn’t matter, the computer will see it as catless. It’s not the OEM cat. It’s not the OEM size downpipe either. Get Ktuner and you can disable it. Codes are disappear, but just because you don’t see the light on, doesn’t mean it’s not stored. And the tuning comment is not implied to you, it’s for anyone thinking they can change the way the car performs without changing the ECU’s tune. If you don’t have Ktuner or Hondata you probably should stick to ride quality or cosmetics, for anyone reading this.
i dont believe P0420 was an option for me when i went to disable codes, is there a different option i need to click? or am i missing something, im using hondata.
Sponsored