Rust on trunk

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
  • Banned
Hey guys, I noticed a couple of months ago some rust forming in a crevice on my trunk. Haven't been in to the dealer about it yet. Do you guys think this will be covered under warranty? I can't see how they'd blame this on a stone chip considering its location.. The car is just 4 years old. Note: I did a half assed job with the touch up paint pen on it! lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on trunk rust

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on trunk rust2

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
Nobody else experienced this issue?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Nope, possible paint chip lead to rust. Check with dealer may be they will cover it

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
Nope, possible paint chip lead to rust. Check with dealer may be they will cover it
Odd area for a stone chip considering I don't drive backwards and it's deep in the crevice. Will of course check with dealer and corp about warranty, but I know what weasels they are. Don't have my hopes up. I concur I will likely will be out of pocket on this one. Will update once all is said and done.

Travie_FC3

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Odd area for a stone chip considering I don't drive backwards and it's deep in the crevice. Will of course check with dealer and corp about warranty, but I know what weasels they are. Don't have my hopes up. I concur I will likely will be out of pocket on this one. Will update once all is said and done.
He didn't say stone chip, just paint chip. When you close your trunk, do you push down on that trim piece? Or at the bottom lip of the trunk? Could be a cause.

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
He didn't say stone chip, just paint chip. When you close your trunk, do you push down on that trim piece? Or at the bottom lip of the trunk? Could be a cause.
No. The trunk is barely ever used, and when it is my right hand would push it down from the top center of the lid as is natural.

My hand/fingers would never come even remotely near that crevice.

Last edited:
OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
Mine is the same, I put a smear of RTV (clear silicone) at the mating upper parts. It seems that water goes in between. Since I put silicone it's not as bad as before.
Yeah, it certainly does retain water there. And I know this because after washing my car, when I dry it I keep having to go back and re-do that area.

Have you tried getting warranty coverage for it? I sent pics into Honda Canada warranty department, got an automated response saying they'll get back to me in two business days. Would you mind sending your pics into them as well? If they're getting multiple reports of this same rust spot that'll only go to help us!

This is the email I sent it to:
[email protected]

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, it certainly does retain water there. And I know this because after washing my car, when I dry it I keep having to go back and re-do that area.

Have you tried getting warranty coverage for it? I sent pics into Honda Canada warranty department, got an automated response saying they'll get back to me in two business days. Would you mind sending your pics into them as well? If they're getting multiple reports of this same rust spot that'll only go to help us!

This is the email I sent it to:
[email protected]
My car is a LX 2016, I would be surprised if Honda would fix this. Mine was like a surface rust, I removed the rust and applied touch-up paint. It seems that there is a double-stick tape around this panel and it became unglued. Maybe my pressure washer didn’t help...lol.
No problem, you can send my pictures To Honda.
Good luck

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I have a similar spot under the right side little trunk wing/tumor/appendage on my '16 EX-t. The paint wore thin where the wing was in contact with the trunk surface. Honda said no to a warranty repair. I'll be saying no to another Honda purchase.

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A couple months ago, I emailed Honda Canada Corp. with a simple question about how to pay off the remaining balance of my car in a lump sum - the email was ignored. Got no response.

On July 3, I emailed them with pictures of the rust in the seam on my trunk. Got an automated email with a case number and it stated somebody would be with me within 2 business day. Again, that email was ignored and I never did get any response.

So yesterday, I emailed them and called them out on their non existent customer service. Within 3 hours I finally got a response telling me to take the car to the dealer for a "diagnostic and repair" at my own cost. This car needs a body shop, not the dealer!

Anyway, I am not so pissed at the fact that they won't cover it. I anticipated that. I am pissed that they have no customer service whatsoever! I mean jeez, I bought a $40 outdoor light from Costco in which the LED's burnt out. Contacted the manufacturer, and within 24 hours had a response that they will be sending me out a new one. That's a $40 purchase - 24 hour response time.

Every power equipment, and every vehicle purchase we made over 20 years has been Honda. $250,000 spent on them and I'd never look another way. Now, I come to find out the company I spend $40 on values my business more than the one I spent $250k on. A quarter million dollars and their response time to me??? Never! So because of their lack of customer service they'll never get my hard earned money again!

Last edited:

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
@fitter_here
thank you so much for that detailed rear trim piece removal diagram
Sponsored