Rust on Brake Rotors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hey everyone,

I've had my new 2016 Civic Touring for about a month give or take. I've noticed rust forming already on the brake rotors, though oddly enough, only on the drivers side wheels.

Is this normal to happen so quick? Is it something I should have addressed? It's also weird its only the one side of the car.
Sponsored

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
I just didn't know if it'd affect performance at all. Also just weird that its only the rotors on one side of the car
Tons of potential environmental factors to cause corrosion to form more quickly on one side than the other - cross winds blowing precipitation on that side (other side is more shielded etc.) even down to using tire or wheel cleaner and getting it on exposed areas more than the other side.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Nothing to be worried about. A light mist and not driving it for around 12 hrs (sometimes less in salty conditions) will cause surface rust quickly. Next time you see it... Drive a few miles and then look again... I bet they look perfect... If they are still seriously rusted or pitted then you may have some bad rotors.

And as someone above said, if the rain one night is only coming from one side, then it may only rust on that side.

In the winter I sometimes don't drive anywhere on Saturdays and on Sunday my rotors have light rust.

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like the others have said before me, no worries. It rained last night at my place, and this morning, I noticed that my rotors were pretty rusty. I drove it for a few miles, and the rust was all gone.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wife 2106 Civic EX manual ; rust on both rear break only , 12,000 miles ; photo
My 2018 Civic EX manual ,the rust has started. 2 months old

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on Brake Rotors DSC06250

HondaDNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Hx, 17 Sport
Country flag
My wife 2106 Civic EX manual ; rust on both rear break only , 12,000 miles ; photo
My 2018 Civic EX manual ,the rust has started. 2 months old

DSC06250.jpg
That is a lot of corrosion, even on the top hat and calipers. Does it sit for long periods?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is a lot of corrosion, even on the top hat and calipers. Does it sit for long periods?
Not since my wife bought it. She drive the car short run 4 days a week, It is a 2016
Is it calcium on Canada's winter roads ?

My 2018 LX have no rust like that. But rust is starting on disc only

charuhls

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
I have rust of my rotors too, and it hasn't even been exposed to the winter or any salt (it's summer). Do they look similar to mine? my brakes work fine and they do not make any noise when braking.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on Brake Rotors back 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on Brake Rotors back 2

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have rust of my rotors too, and it hasn't even been exposed to the winter or any salt (it's summer). Do they look similar to mine? my brakes work fine and they do not make any noise when braking.
Yes on my 2018, rear brake only
Sponsored