Rust already?!

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Hey guys,

I have a Honda Civic 2016 EX, and while cleaning my car, I noticed rust started to appear on the rail system of the seat on both passenger and driver side. It looks like it managed to eat away a bit of the bolt on one of of the rail, and the other ate part of the body where the rail are installed. Is this considered "normal", is the warranty cover this? Am I overreacting? If not, any idea for a fix?

Right-side rail on the driver seats:
Honda Civic 10th gen Rust already?! WP_20180903_14_33_57_Pro

Right-side rail on the passenger seats:
Honda Civic 10th gen Rust already?! WP_20180903_14_35_04_Pro (2)

Thanks

Last edited:

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
I don't expect much to be done against rust for interior bits, since it isn't exactly important to operating the car. My bolts on the rear of the front seatrails are already covered in rust, probably because I carry passengers a lot, so the salt from the winter corroded them.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I don't expect much to be done against rust for interior bits, since it isn't exactly important to operating the car. My bolts on the rear of the front seatrails are already covered in rust, probably because I carry passengers a lot, so the salt from the winter corroded them.
I agree, salt in winter

OP
OP

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Hmm, ok.
Do you think I get a metal brush, remove what I can, and somehow spray paint black to stop further rust from developing? Or I should just leave it.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
To the OEM poster........you live in CANADA and you're making a big deal of those TINY SPECS of rust!!?? :rolleyes: :D
Don't sweat it you're fine.

OP
OP

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
To the OEM poster........you live in CANADA and you're making a big deal of those TINY SPECS of rust!!?? :rolleyes: :D
Don't sweat it you're fine.
It's a Honda... I didn't buy a Mazda, last I checked, where if it doesn't rust the moment you signed, it is a manufacture error. :p
Ok ok, terrible joke.

But that is not normal for a new car.. maybe 7 years old...sure... but that is not normal for one under 3 with well under 30k, and had passenger on the back less than 5 times.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
But that is not normal for a new car.. maybe 7 years old...sure... but that is not normal for one under 3.
That's just it...it IS normal.......it's just minor surface rust, your brake rotors rust with a little bit of moisture on them.

OP
OP

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
That's just it...it IS normal.......it's just minor surface rust, your brake rotors rust with a little bit of moisture on them.
Ah ok. Very good then. First car owner problem, I guess, hehe.
I just was conerned that it starts like that, and then after 4-5 years or something, the chair doesn't hold anymore, and the bolt has nothing to hold onto as everything rust out.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just was conerned that it starts like that, and then after 4-5 years or something, the chair doesn't hold anymore, and the bolt has nothing to hold onto as everything rust out.
Naw....you're fine....you can keep an eye on it (and I'm sure you will) :D. But, you'll be amazed that even if you check it out once a year in that spot, it won't look much different as time go's by....maybe in 10 years.
Sponsored