Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's because of the static.

The paint flakes react differently on plastic and metal. One of them is going to have the paint flakes laying around on top of each other like the dropped leaves, and the other would have the leaves standing up. With that effect, one will appear darker or lighter than the other.

With the same paint, if you have the bumpers painted at the same time and at the same angle while bumpers are mounted on the car, the fenders and quarter panels will still finished in different colors.

The discoloration between the trunk and license plate garnish is tremendous because of the lighting from curvy surface. It happens on all colors, but the LSM stands out more.

Honda Civic 10th gen Running panel color mismatch - lunar silver 2019 IMG_4176
Sponsored

Last edited:

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just some insight...

This comes from different paints, suppliers, plants, etc. For example, the body is painted on Line 1 with paint from supplier X. Bumper painted on line 2 by supplier Y with a completely different paint technology, and all body colour trim pieces can come from an assortment of part suppliers using different paint suppliers. Then factor in that part supplier may supply parts to multiple plants building multiple models (i.e. Lunar silver for a Ridgeline in Alabama, CRV in Greensburg, Civic in Alliston, Accord in Marysville).

To summarize, colour harmony can be extremely complex and takes whole teams to maintain on a daily basis. Many factors can affect the final colour match.

OP
OP

Intamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport
Country flag
Just some insight...

This comes from different paints, suppliers, plants, etc. For example, the body is painted on Line 1 with paint from supplier X. Bumper painted on line 2 by supplier Y with a completely different paint technology, and all body colour trim pieces can come from an assortment of part suppliers using different paint suppliers. Then factor in that part supplier may supply parts to multiple plants building multiple models (i.e. Lunar silver for a Ridgeline in Alabama, CRV in Greensburg, Civic in Alliston, Accord in Marysville).

To summarize, colour harmony can be extremely complex and takes whole teams to maintain on a daily basis. Many factors can affect the final colour match.
Thanks for the insight. It’s a bummer they don’t match up but I think I’m just gonna have to settle. I need the car!
Sponsored