Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Running Hondata Mobile on your radio/navi P1111497_preview

What this does

The radio / entertainment system / navi in the 10th gen Civic uses an Android based device, and runs Android Apps. From the factory the radio only accepts Honda authorized Apps. This process unlocks ('roots') the Android system so that the Hondata Mobile Android App can be installed on the radio.

Warning: this process alters your factory radio at a low level and has a risk of disabling your radio and may also affect your factory warranty options with the radio/navigation.

What vehicles this will work on
  • 2016-2017 1.5T Civic
  • 2017-2018 Type R

What you need
  • USB A to A cable
  • USB flash drive
  • Laptop computer
  • FlashProManager V2.9.4 or later
Honda Civic 10th gen Running Hondata Mobile on your radio/navi P1111499_preview

Procedure
  1. Enable developer mode
    1. Start with the ignition in accessory mode
    2. Press home, then 'Settings', then 'System', then scroll all the way to the right and then all the way down to 'Detail Information'.
    3. Scroll to the bottom and press 'Android Information' or 'About Device'.
    4. Press 'Build Number' eight times. Under 'Kernel Version' a button appears 'Please enter a password'.
    5. Determine if your radio firmware is 2016-2017 or 2018+ by looking at the date after 'Kernel Version'.
    6. 2016-2017 kernel versions: Scroll down, press 'Model Number', then 'Kernel Version', then 'Android Version' then 'Baseband Version'. Developer mode will be enabled.
    7. 2018 kernel versions: Scroll down, press 'Kernel Version', then 'Model Number, then 'Build Number' then 'Status'. Developer mode will be enabled.
    8. Press the Back button once and then press 'Developer Options'.
    9. Scroll to 'USB Debugging' and enable it.
  2. Change the USB mode
    1. Hold the Brightness button (physical button on the top left), Audio button and Menu buttons down all at once. A menu will appear with two large white buttons.
    2. Select the bottom white button 'Detail Information & Settings'.
    3. Hold down the Menu button until another menu appears.
    4. Hold down the Home button for approximately 15 seconds. There will be 3 rapid beeps after a few seconds, then another beep after 10 seconds. A new menu appears.
    5. Change the USB role from Host to Device.
  3. Root the radio
    1. Download the Honda Hack tool from https://github.com/codeage/root-honda/blob/master/packages/HondaHack.zip?raw=true
    2. Unzip the hack tool on a laptop. Note that all anti-virus software will complain that this is a 'hack tool'.
    3. Using the USB A to A cable connect the laptop to the USB port with the smartphone picture on it.
    4. On the laptop run the Honda hack tool. It will connect to the radio automatically.
    5. On the laptop click on the 'Root' button.
    6. After rooting is complete unplug the laptop from the USB.
    7. For some models the radio the radio will reboot automatically, for other vehicles the radio will flash every 10 seconds or so. In this case, switch off the ignition for 30 seconds and then switch on the ignition to accessory.
    8. The radio should show the Honda logo for 1 minute while rebooting.
  4. Install the Hondata mobile App
    1. Download the Hondata mobile APK file and save onto the USB flash drive.
    2. Plug the USB drive into the center console USB port.
    3. On the radio press Home, then 'App List' (some models) or the button with six squares (other models).
    4. Run the 'Honda Installer' app.
    5. Select 'Install An App'.
    6. Press the top backslash or '..' to go backwards and then scroll down to 'usbdrive2'.
    7. Select the com.hondata.hondatamobile.apk file.
    8. The Hondata Mobile App will be installed.
    9. Press and hold the Audio button for approximately 10 seconds and then select Yes to reboot the radio. This takes about 1 minute and the Honda logo will show when rebooting.
  5. Linking to FlashPro
    1. Make sure that you have updated the FlashPro firmware using FlashProManager V2.9.4 or above.
    2. Switch the ignition to run or start the engine.
    3. Press Home, then Settings, then Bluetooth, Devices then Search for Devices.
    4. The FlashPro will appear as a MAC address (8 pairs of numbers separated by colons).
    5. Pair to the FlashPro. If you have changed your code from 0000 then you will need to enter it.
    6. Press Home, then App List and then Hondata Mobile.
    7. Click to lightening bolt to connect. The FlashPro will appear as 'FlashPro'.
    8. Enjoy running Hondata Mobile on your 10th gen Civic.
Credits and links
Software
https://github.com/codeage/root-honda/blob/master/packages/HondaHack.zip?raw=true
Hondata Mobile
https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21067
USB A to A cable
https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-3-Feet-Cable-Black-10U2-02103BK/dp/B008Y523XU
Instructions & Credits
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644

Update: Anti virus warning
Some anti virus software will give a warning that the HondaHackv2.0.exe contains a trojan. Technically it does. The file that triggers the warning is 'dirtycow', which is listed as an 'android hack tool', which it is. The file is not a Windows file so cannot harm a Windows PC. However vigilance should be maintained that other files in the HondaHack.zip do not contain malicious software. If you are not technically savvy and comfortable installing and running this type of software then we recommend you do not do so.

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you. i have, been trying to figure out how to get this to work without haveing to buy a new phone and mirror it on the screen or having to buy an after market screen

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
What vehicles this will work on
  • Any 10th gen Civic running FlashPro (including FK8)
BTW this only works for 2016-17

2018 they changed the passcode. The passcode is still unknown

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Looks amazing on the screen like that.

Btw the video says "unavailable" at least for me.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome work guys, this is pretty cool to see. Good job utilizing what was really nice from the OEM.

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
Can this be done on the 17 Si? It only mentions the 16-17 Civic and the Type R.

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think my little disappointment with Hondata and my flashpro reading my IAT parameters backwards might have went away after this mod ! This is really awesome, worked just as advertised. Nothing like listening to my music and reading my parameters while driving. Don't have to mount my cell phone anymore. :D
Honda Civic 10th gen Running Hondata Mobile on your radio/navi 20180313_142311

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the App is 100% the same as the one on your phone
I know that. I was still using the app despite the parameters being read backwards. I already having it programmed in my mind iat1 is really iat2 and vice versa. I'm just saying its much more convenient now having the app integrated in the radio rather than using my cell phone.

Matt Noke

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is great! Had a good friend of mine that is tech savvy do this for me. Phone calls, text, and right turn signal will disconnect the app but nice to have.

Last edited:

jheiges

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Does anyone know if this rooting will allow you to install KTuner's app as well? I am wanting the same thing but don't have Hondata.
Sponsored