Running an intake with no tune? (Mishimoto Intake)

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Forgive me if this question has been done to death -- I've found multiple threads on this across a dozen forums but haven't found a conclusive answer.

I have a chance to pickup a Mishimoto intake for cheap, but I was wondering if I would run into any issues putting it on my car without tuning it. Their website says that it should run fine on the stock tune, but I've seen posts saying that this will cause the engine to run rich unless I tune it.

Has anybody run an intake on the 1.5T for a little while without tuning it, and if so, were there any issues?

--
As to why I would be running it without tune?

The car is just a little over a month old at 1800 mis and I want to wait until after the first 10000 before I run a tune, just in case there are any factory issues with the engine. I know it's rice-y, but I would like to hear a little more turbo whoosh noise. At least with an aftermarket intake, it would be easy to switch it back to the stock intake before bringing it into the dealership. Once I get to that 10000 though, I'm planning to get the TSP Stage 1.
Sponsored

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
You should be fine especially with street MAF. The only unfortunate thing is that without tuning software such as KTuner, you can't monitor your fuel trims or IAT so you won't really know what's going on inside

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I have been running over 10k on 2 different intakes and regular hondata tune. NoT a single issue.

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You should be fine especially with street MAF. The only unfortunate thing is that without tuning software such as KTuner, you can't monitor your fuel trims or IAT so you won't really know what's going on inside
If I pickup a Ktuner, would I be able to view those without flashing the ECU for a tune? Just as a diagnostic/system viewer?

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I pickup a Ktuner, would I be able to view those without flashing the ECU for a tune? Just as a diagnostic/system viewer?
Seems like there would be a cheaper option. A basic OBDII dongle with Bluetooth that you could pair with Torque app or something similar. I don’t have one to recommend, but seems like there should be something.

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Seems like there would be a cheaper option. A basic OBDII dongle with Bluetooth that you could pair with Torque app or something similar. I don’t have one to recommend, but seems like there should be something.
Yeah, I had something like that on my previous car. But since I would ~inevitably~ pickup a Ktuner, I just thought that maybe I could use that without the actual tune part.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
Yeah, I had something like that on my previous car. But since I would ~inevitably~ pickup a Ktuner, I just thought that maybe I could use that without the actual tune part.
Yeah if you're going to buy it eventually anyways, then you may as well pick it up rather than spending more money on another reader tool. I feel like the price of KTuner hasn't changed at all over the years.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a chance to pick up a Mishimoto intake at a good price, then do it. If you like it without the tune then great. If not, you can resell it, no problem.
You can't use the Ktuner unless you connect it to your ECU. So, I think that means flashing your ECU, yes.

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If you have a chance to pick up a Mishimoto intake at a good price, then do it. If you like it without the tune then great. If not, you can resell it, no problem.
You can't use the Ktuner unless you connect it to your ECU. So, I think that means flashing your ECU, yes.
Yeah, I wasn't so much concerned about the like it/don't like it, as resell seems to be relatively easy. I just wanted to make sure my laptop won't scream "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" at me. ?

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have been running the Mishi intake with no tune on my 1.5T for about 3 months, probably 7k miles or so with no issues. You will be very satisfied with the whoosh from the Mishi intake too ;)

AdamSI

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
i have the mishi too. its carb legal in california. my fuel trims are -5 to -3% im running TSP also
Sponsored