Rumorville: 2017/18 North American Type R will be a Sedan

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
So I've been hearing from several sources throughout the internet that the 2017/18 Civic Type R will be offered as a sedan. Why? Responses vary from marketing appeal, to economies of scale with the upcoming Si Sedan.

I'm not creating this thread to evaluate the likelihood of a CTR Sedan. But rather, would you get one if only available in Sedan form? My take: yes, if the price & options were right.

What say you?
Sponsored

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Sedan would be my preferred format for sure.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
I'd still buy one. But would prefer the hatch.

It won't be a sedan though. With global models, 5DR production being at the Swindon plant who already makes the 9th gen Type R. Logic prevails.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The Honda guy today said type r will be hatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rumorville: 2017/18 North American Type R will be a Sedan F7B003E2-5DCD-419F-B5F9-F86E5AB26B60

Last edited by a moderator:

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's not a 3 door hatch or a coupe I'm out and incredibly disappointed. It's like Honda is trying to push a family sports car. smh. I'll stick with my Supercharged Gen8 until Honda gets it right or another company comes along and peaks my interest. Don't get it twisted, I'm not a Gen8 bible thumper, I've really been hoping that Honda was going to push the limits even more but they have been stagnant as of late and these 1.5T step backs just disappointment me. Anyone that has been in a Gen8 Supercharged would understand. It's like Honda whats to draw a divide now. If you really want the fast one's you're going to have to go NSX to get what you want. I love Hondas, this just bums me out.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
If it's not a 3 door hatch or a coupe I'm out and incredibly disappointed. It's like Honda is trying to push a family sports car. smh. I'll stick with my Supercharged Gen8 until Honda gets it right or another company comes along and peaks my interest. Don't get it twisted, I'm not a Gen8 bible thumper, I've really been hoping that Honda was going to push the limits even more but they have been stagnant as of late and these 1.5T step backs just disappointment me. Anyone that has been in a Gen8 Supercharged would understand. It's like Honda whats to draw a divide now. If you really want the fast one's you're going to have to go NSX to get what you want. I love Hondas, this just bums me out.
The 1.5T is a step back? Really? Even though I walk away from 2015Si's all day long? What rock are you under, exactly?

Last edited:

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 1.5T is a step back? Really? Even though I walk away from 2015Si's all day long? What rock are you under, exactly?
You're aren't "walking" away. More like crawling. I've seen the results in real life and actually raced one in my stock 2008 SI. Also, from an aftermarket perspective more can be done with the 2.0 engine. As for your "rock under" statement, save that trolling and keep it civil, talking like that will get you no response aside from this initial one.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Maybe if you're stock. Once the modding begins, the 1.5T gets buried. Those 2.0L and 2.4L Ks can make over 600whp without even opening the valve cover.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe if you're stock. Once the modding begins, the 1.5T gets buried. Those 2.0L and 2.4L Ks can make over 600whp without even opening the valve cover.
Sure it can, but the original comment I made was at the silly statement that the 1.5T is a step back. You really think Honda is going to stick a 2.0/2.4L turbo on their standard model, with the type R right around the corner? Now THAT, would be a step back. Make a little economical, yet fun car for us that want to get 40+MPG, then put the 2.4T in the Type R, in the class where it belongs.

You're aren't "walking" away. More like crawling. I've seen the results in real life and actually raced one in my stock 2008 SI. Also, from an aftermarket perspective more can be done with the 2.0 engine. As for your "rock under" statement, save that trolling and keep it civil, talking like that will get you no response aside from this initial one.
I have no interest in talking with you anyway, so no loss there :].

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Let's be fair and compare apples to apples. Non-Si 1-9gen Civic is inferior to the 10th gen non Si. The only difference now is we have a base model with a NA 2.0 and an uprated model with a 1.5T. It's a similar situation to what VW was in back when they were selling 2.0 Jetta's that were rubbish and 1.8T Jetta's that were supposed to be more performance (but were also trash). They were both supposed to be better than the VR6 (even though most performance minded folks seem to have chosen the 1.8T).

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Sure it can, but the original comment I made was at the silly statement that the 1.5T is a step back. You really think Honda is going to stick a 2.0/2.4L turbo on their standard model, with the type R right around the corner? Now THAT, would be a step back. Make a little economical, yet fun car for us that want to get 40+MPG, then put the 2.4T in the Type R, in the class where it belongs.
This is a very good point. The mid-level engine is indeed a huge step forward, though the picture gets muddied by the coupling of a CVT. How it stacks up against the manual will give us a bit more clarity on just how good the CVT is when it comes to power delivery and fuel efficiency. Either way though, it definitely appears to be an improvement over the R-series engines that preceded it.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It would be sweet to have a sedan but I think the type R should be a hatchback and be in its own class. Hence why they're bringing the hatchback to the states. Leave the sedan and the coupe to the SI. (can't wait for that!)
Sponsored