jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I mean with enough money anything is possible. But will it make sense for Honda to do so is an entirely different question. Cars with close to 300hp 2L engines are all pushing 35k+ dollars. With the Si base price at the low to mid 20k it doesn't make sense to me for Honda to put 270hp into this trim. 220hp - 250hp is entirely possible, but anything above that you are stepping into an area reserved for the type R.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Subaru has made a killing on both despite a sub-40 HP delta between trims. I think Honda will lean more on the chassis and suspension to set the CTR apart, as in previous iterations.

thomasok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Black Honda Accord EX-L, 2003 Blue Honda Accord EX-L
Interesting pages of speculation and rational for various hp figures. Now it's time for facts. Based on inside knowledge I can unequivocally state that the new SI will have between 200 and 300 hp and the Type R will have more than it has. Oh yeah, and it will definitely have a transmission.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic si
I don't know if this should be in here but can we talk about how the si should sound? Now the fiat 500 abarth sounds like a Tug boat and it's a tiny car... I want the si to have a girggle that sounds like a jaguar f type or a precise refined sound of a Lexus lfa ....a button that opens up valves or is this just wishful thinking!?

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I don't know if this should be in here but can we talk about how the si should sound? Now the fiat 500 abarth sounds like a Tug boat and it's a tiny car... I want the si to have a girggle that sounds like a jaguar f type or a precise refined sound of a Lexus lfa ....a button that opens up valves or is this just wishful thinking!?
Physics basically preclude a turbo 4 cylinder making sounds as good as those cars. The Jaguar F Type is supercharged (which sound better than turbos) and the LF-A is a naturally aspirated V10.

You can still get a gurgle sound with a turbo 4 though, and they can sound decent.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
I own a Fiat 500 Abarth and drive it every day, that exhaust is amazing. Gurgle, pops, turbo whine, backfires, you name it and it has it. The secret? There is no muffler at all on the Abarth from the factory. None. That exhaust is seriously a sweet sound, the Si when I have driven them was quiet as can be and there was no exhaust to speak of at all. The Si needs even 25 percent of the Abarth sound and I'd be perfectly happy.

Everyone that says turbo cars cannot sound good has never heard an Abarth. Very first time I saw one at a lot the dealer started it up and my wife said "No Way." As in nope, not getting this car! Then we drove it and she changed her tune.

Lease is up on Abarth in 6 months and planned on getting an Si, but now that they are not coming out this year my plans are screwed. No clue what I'm getting now. Not a GTI I know, and not an ST. Not many options as I see them so I'm lost.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Both Subaru and Mazda do some magic through a combination of resonators and mufflers. And they both sound good IMO. I think Honda will keep the exhaust note conservative as in previous iterations. I'd be surprised if we even hear the turbo spool.

thomasok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Black Honda Accord EX-L, 2003 Blue Honda Accord EX-L

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Physics basically preclude a turbo 4 cylinder making sounds as good as those cars. The Jaguar F Type is supercharged (which sound better than turbos) and the LF-A is a naturally aspirated V10.

You can still get a gurgle sound with a turbo 4 though, and they can sound decent.
Or a big stereo sound piped in to fake it! - like Mercedes.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Or a big stereo sound piped in to fake it! - like Mercedes.
I don't think Mercedes does that do they? The cla45 amg produces natural sound. BMW is horrible however for fake sound. Their 4cyl cars sound like a M4 on the interior.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Lease is up on Abarth in 6 months and planned on getting an Si, but now that they are not coming out this year my plans are screwed. No clue what I'm getting now. Not a GTI I know, and not an ST. Not many options as I see them so I'm lost.
Some rental rates on peanut cars like the Abarth are retarded cheap. I would look into that. Also, some manufactures will allow you to extend a lease month by month, so don't rule that out.

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
I own a Fiat 500 Abarth and drive it every day, that exhaust is amazing. Gurgle, pops, turbo whine, backfires, you name it and it has it. The secret? There is no muffler at all on the Abarth from the factory. None. That exhaust is seriously a sweet sound, the Si when I have driven them was quiet as can be and there was no exhaust to speak of at all. The Si needs even 25 percent of the Abarth sound and I'd be perfectly happy.

Everyone that says turbo cars cannot sound good has never heard an Abarth. Very first time I saw one at a lot the dealer started it up and my wife said "No Way." As in nope, not getting this car! Then we drove it and she changed her tune.

looking into a manual 1.5t. Think of it as a better but just as fast 9th gen SI without a LSD.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag

Keep in mind that some manufacturers (including Honda) allows you to extend the lease. For example, for our 2013 Accord, we have extended the lease for a year at the same monthly payment . . . . but we can turn the car in at any time. This allows you to take your time waiting for the right car to become available. Don't know about Fiat's lease policies, of course. Just FYI.

Mick

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Keep in mind that some manufacturers (including Honda) allows you to extend the lease. For example, for our 2013 Accord, we have extended the lease for a year at the same monthly payment . . . . but we can turn the car in at any time. This allows you to take your time waiting for the right car to become available. Don't know about Fiat's lease policies, of course. Just FYI.

Mick
Didn't know that then it works out to be patient.
Sponsored