Rumor / Leak: 1.5T Civic Si engine confirmed?

tcl

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase

That being said, I'd still love to see a lot of horses and torque in the SI. I crave the v6 power I have in my G35 and hope that it doesn't spoil the SI for me ^_^
I'm guessing that you might be okay with the power and torque given the lighter weight of the SI but you may miss the sound of that VQ V6. I sure did after a few months with the 1.5 turbo having had some sweet V6s in the past (350Z, Altima 3.5SE, SVT Contour, and two Alfa GTV-6s).

Advertisement

MickeyDubs

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm guessing that you might be okay with the power and torque given the lighter weight of the SI but you may miss the sound of that VQ V6. I sure did after a few months with the 1.5 turbo having had some sweet V6s in the past (350Z, Altima 3.5SE, SVT Contour, and two Alfa GTV-6s).
The GROWL! It's such a nice sound...

I came from an '88 MR2, so I'm used to the lower weight cars. That thing would scream :p

jk147

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic
Maybe they will throw another turbo in here, I can't imagine a 1.5TT setup.

I don't foresee anything above 220 either with this engine, reason being you have to boost a lot.. I mean quite a bit to get to 250 with 1.5 and a single turbo. Bigger turbo, more turbo lag. People like to project numbers here and there but never realize the peak HP in this scenario will make a car very slow until the boost kicks in. Si is a mild sporty car and I don't see Honda making this engine + turbo combination at all for a daily driver. Not to mention the more you boost the higher chance of failure in this scenario. We are not talking about MB AMG like price point here.

Design

Reaction score
Car(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree. A 1.5 in the Si would likely mean a fairly conservative output. Just enough to distance itself from the base 1.5. But not enough to go head-to-head with the GTI.

As we've seen with the 2.0, Honda can get decent fuel economy and performance without sacrificing throttle response. Cost would likely be the single biggest barrier.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Bench racing? It is a fact. A modern 1.5T won't be able to compete with a modern 2.0T in equivalent class. Fact. And I am not bench racing, I am shopping. Yes you are the best of them, a Honda fanboi who is so quick to defend Honda's typically under-performing products (such as a 9th gen Si). The idea of a finally competitive Si is so appealing, only to be ruined by an increasing chance it will roll with a WEAK 1.5T.

It's also a fact that when the lease on my 2.0T is up, I WON'T be looking at 1.5T cars. I WILL consider a Type R, but again, the FWD only config will give it STREET performance that is not acceptable to me for it's price point (gonna be smoking those front tires a lot while WRX's and Golf R's eat your lunch, oh but that's OK because it'll lap the 'ring faster than them).
Yeah I have to agree with you here. There still isn't a perfect replacement for displacement. Until they're ready to build the 1.5T to hold 30psi and spin to 8k, I don't think it will find its place in an Si, or at least it shouldn't. 2.0T can make the power without having to go so far to the edge of material capabilities.

thaseint

Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Yeah I have to agree with you here. There still isn't a perfect replacement for displacement. Until they're ready to build the 1.5T to hold 30psi and spin to 8k, I don't think it will find its place in an Si, or at least it shouldn't. 2.0T can make the power without having to go so far to the edge of material capabilities.
Yeah I mean they already have that SUV 2.0T (268hp) motor from the Avancier/Accord/CR-V, they could easily detune that down to 230hp or whatever their target is.

Seems kind of silly to jump through hoops to max out the 1.5T.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Yeah I mean they already have that SUV 2.0T (268hp) motor from the Avancier/Accord/CR-V, they could easily detune that down to 230hp or whatever their target is.

Agreed. I think the comments people are making about development costs and all that...the 2.0T is supported by the fact that it will end up in CRV/TLX/Accord/TypeR/RDX?/S2000 thing/. It makes more sense to give the Si the 2.0 with eco friendly enhancements yet still keep it at only 230 peak hp.

Design

Reaction score
Car(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If they went with the 1.5, I don't think they would. I think they would take the Euro VTEC 1.5 and add a very small amount of boost to get it to around 210.

Beyond 210-220ish, I believe the 2.0 would be more practical.

takemorepills

Reaction score
Car(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Why in the hell is not everyone totally repulsed by the idea of the 1.5T? I think Honda may be swayed by enthusiast chatter to choose either engine, and here we have a bunch of people willing to be "ok" with a non-competitive 1.5T. this is not the message for Honda to hear.

If Honda makes the Si a 1.5T I'm going to close my account here as I will be writing off Honda and driving competitive vehicles.

DavidJBrooks

Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
It would make no sense to me
Why in the hell is not everyone totally repulsed by the idea of the 1.5T? I think Honda may be swayed by enthusiast chatter to choose either engine, and here we have a bunch of people willing to be "ok" with a non-competitive 1.5T. this is not the message for Honda to hear.

If Honda makes the Si a 1.5T I'm going to close my account here as I will be writing off Honda and driving competitive vehicles.
Honda probably made their decision on the Si powerplant last year. Our reaction here isn't going to matter one whit.

If the Si has a 1.5T, I'll still probably buy one. It just seems very unlikely for all kinds of reasons. Of course, Honda doesn't always make he decisions I want them to, do they (ILX with stick AND nav? Accord Touring with 6MT? Heated seats in 9th gen Si? Canada got that good stuff).

We'll know fairly soon I'm sure.

Design

Reaction score
Car(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Agreed. But I think the powertrain has been very recently chosen. The Si checks just about all of my boxes, assuming they make a sedan. And as mentioned earlier, my only concern with choosing the 1.5 is how they plan to manage boost. There are a few ways they could do it; but I feel the 2.0 would get them there more reliably.

Indeed, it could be bad news to enthusiasts. As we've seen on other platforms, even basic mods can overtax small turbos and lead to premature failure. :(

thaseint

Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
If they went with the 1.5, I don't think they would. I think they would take the Euro VTEC 1.5 and add a very small amount of boost to get it to around 210.
I guess when I say max out I really mean maxed out from an aftermarket perspective.

As much as Honda and other manufacturers dislike the aftermarket and tuning community they do likely realize it's part of what sells their sportier lineup.

I'm sure many people would be turned off by the idea that there are very little gains to be had on the 1.5T motor without having to tear the thing apart replacing internals. I don't think anyone is really expecting to get a huge 50hp+ bump in power without replacing internals; but if people can't easily add at least 20-30hp safely/reliability without touching the internals then that'd be a big problem IMO.

I'll also add that this is probably even more true if the CTR is at too high a price point with dealer markup. If people have to choose between a 1.5T that they can't really modify without spending a ton of money or spend nearly $40k for a CTR...other brands would start to look more appealing.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Reaction score
Car(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Guaranteed a 1.5T would not be "sporty" in the hot summer months with a hot condenser sitting next to a hot intercooler. WRX's and EB1.6 suffer severe turbo lag and inconsistent power delivery in the summer.
I've even seen it discussed for 1.5T Civic on these forums.

No thanks. My current 2.0T has enough displacement and hardware capacity to deal with summer, even with a piggyback tune. A 1.5T would be over taxed.

Phosky

Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag

We are, but at least in my case I take solace in the fact that I can still get the 2.0T in the Type-R. I just have to settle for the 5-door hatch form factor.

takemorepills

Reaction score
Car(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
We are, but at least in my case I take solace in the fact that I can still get the 2.0T in the Type-R. I just have to settle for the 5-door hatch form factor.
That's true. Depending on it's price though, it may be an overpowered, overpriced wheel spinner with it's main claim to fame that it owns the FWD record at the 'ring. On the street it will not be able to hold its own on a daily basis, and the Type R bits will attract a lot of the wrong kind of attention. I mean, this is of course my perspective, and why I'd prefer a strong Si