Rumor / Leak: 1.5T Civic Si engine confirmed?

JYR

Reaction score
Car(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Hey...I too am a mid-30's guy who wants one. I will reserve my thoughts on actually buying until the car is production ready.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, if the car is truly a "race car for the road" as many outlets have mentioned the current R is, it will be a summer only car for me. That said, I am in the process of finding a winter beater now. So I'm not buying 1 CTR as my DD, I'm buying 2 vehicles.

Advertisement

ThrillHill

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
The Civic is a FWD econobox while the Supra was a state of the art purpose built performance car way ahead of its time in the 90s. You are shaming the Supra name to even bring up a Civic can possibly be anything close to it.
I love my little Civic, but a 98' Supra (stock!) was and is in a different league. If I could somehow put my grubby hands on one in great condition for short money...I'm not saying I'd risk divorce to get it, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

;)

nathanzachary

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll hive to chime in here as well. As someone who just entered the glorious 30s not that long ago, I fall into this group as well. I had (and still have, but don't drive) a 2004 JDM ITR (K20A with Y2M3 tranny), and it is a blast. However, it's not a suitable car for me any longer. It's just too loud and uncomfortable, and I don't like the idea of a coupe. I would gladly pay for a Type-R sedan if the price is right. I was hoping that the Si would fit the bill, but I'm not sold on it yet. I guess that I just wish Honda would make the specs known so that we can stop wasting time.

I have found very few cars that check all the boxes for me, though. My two primary criteria are 1) manual transmission (preferably 6-speed), and 2) sedan. You wouldn't think that would be all that difficult, but the other cars that I had considered aren't really options any longer. Dream car would be an Audi S4, but I'm not looking to spend $50k+. Also still thinking about a WRX/STi, but I find them to be a bit uncomfortable. Other than that, I haven't found many options.

tcl

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
I'll hive to chime in here as well. As someone who just entered the glorious 30s not that long ago, I fall into this group as well. I had (and still have, but don't drive) a 2004 JDM ITR (K20A with Y2M3 tranny), and it is a blast. However, it's not a suitable car for me any longer. It's just too loud and uncomfortable, and I don't like the idea of a coupe. I would gladly pay for a Type-R sedan if the price is right. I was hoping that the Si would fit the bill, but I'm not sold on it yet. I guess that I just wish Honda would make the specs known so that we can stop wasting time.

I have found very few cars that check all the boxes for me, though. My two primary criteria are 1) manual transmission (preferably 6-speed), and 2) sedan. You wouldn't think that would be all that difficult, but the other cars that I had considered aren't really options any longer. Dream car would be an Audi S4, but I'm not looking to spend $50k+. Also still thinking about a WRX/STi, but I find them to be a bit uncomfortable. Other than that, I haven't found many options.
You might want to see how the upcoming Nissan NISMO version of the Sentra turns out. They recently improved the latest generation of the standard models curing some of the weak points cited by many journalists when they first came out a few years ago. The NISMO version is expected have a high output turbo 4, a sport suspension and a NISMO specific interior. If I were still in the market and had your criteria I'd test drive the upcoming Civic SI and the NISMO Sentra back to back and see how they stack up.

JYR

Reaction score
Car(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
For me, my decision won't happen until we actually know what the Si and R will be all about. At this point, we only know that the Si and R will be available in 4dr trims.

My other considerations in order are:
VW GTi 4dr
Subaru STi
Focus ST
Certified Chevy SS

zx2down

Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Maybe, but that is a cool Ford with little following, this is a Honda that is highly anticipated. I couldn't get my hands on an ITR or an S2000 when they were released, but they had SVT Contours and Lightnings just sitting on the lot. I could a few years later when I had a family and wasn't interested anymore.
Those vehicles were a lot less limited production than the Type R. If you want a comparison in 2000 look for a ZX2 S/R sitting on the lots. None of the 2000 made were sitting around, even when most people had no idea they even existed.

A for the RS I think that the price and markups are making some people hold off. I'd like one, but the idea to many of spending 35k+ for a Focus is crazy.

Last edited:

Brett Bynes

Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 honda fit sport
I work for a Honda dealership and we literally only have seen 2 Civic Touring Coupes come in so far... I sold one to someone and had to have it towed down from Ohio... Point is, this is not Ford who overestimates the demand... This is Honda who has grossly underestimated demand for many cars... ie: Pilots & HR-Vs... They don't just give each dealership a ton of each car... There will be a supply issue with the CTR...

Personally, I will 100% be getting one in blue... I've also heard of several people at my dealership alone who said for sure they're getting one too... We'll have to see how that affects supply when so many people actually are ready to buy this car right now...
I work for a Honda dealer also, and do you know the earliest that you can start putting your name down for one?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I work for a Honda dealer also, and do you know the earliest that you can start putting your name down for one?
Sub'd for this info!!

SpartanSi

Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Go talk to the Sales GM. You will probably have to put $1000K down (may be non-refundable) to get onto the 1st to purchase list. May take you two years to get one as well.

Honestly, this will most likely be the only way to get one of these vehicles. Pre-ordering gets you on the list. With other Type R vehicles, they had issues giving delivery dates simply because the demand for the cars exceeded the supply. I would expect on a good month your dealership will receive one per month. It would be highly unlike that Honda supply's any more than this to each dealer. This means if your dealership is lucky, they will sell 12 Type R's annually. If you do not pre-order yours today, you will most likely not be able to get one as every car will be pre-ordered and sold. This is what makes this car so special. Limited supply makes for a more exclusive vehicle. Also, would expect the dealer to charge MSRP vs. Invoice....so plan ahead.

I have to laugh at the number of people who think they are going to walk into the dealership, take one for a test drive and purchase one of these cars. Never going to happen......if you want to drive it, you need to buy it......

SpartanSi

Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
For me, my decision won't happen until we actually know what the Si and R will be all about. At this point, we only know that the Si and R will be available in 4dr trims.

My other considerations in order are:
VW GTi 4dr
Subaru STi
Focus ST
Certified Chevy SS
You are considering several cars that I too am thinking about. Is there a reason that you selected the Focus ST but, not the RS? Just curious. I have not driven the ST or RS yet.

I am considering both the WRX and STi! Cannot stand my local VW dealer, thus VW is not one that I am considering. Also have the BMW 340i AWD with Manual on my list as well.

tacthecat

Reaction score
Car(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT (gifted 3-2020)
Country flag
Go talk to the Sales GM. You will probably have to put $1000K down (may be non-refundable) to get onto the 1st to purchase list. May take you two years to get one as well.

Honestly, this will most likely be the only way to get one of these vehicles. Pre-ordering gets you on the list. With other Type R vehicles, they had issues giving delivery dates simply because the demand for the cars exceeded the supply. I would expect on a good month your dealership will receive one per month. It would be highly unlike that Honda supply's any more than this to each dealer. This means if your dealership is lucky, they will sell 12 Type R's annually. If you do not pre-order yours today, you will most likely not be able to get one as every car will be pre-ordered and sold. This is what makes this car so special. Limited supply makes for a more exclusive vehicle. Also, would expect the dealer to charge MSRP vs. Invoice....so plan ahead.

I have to laugh at the number of people who think they are going to walk into the dealership, take one for a test drive and purchase one of these cars. Never going to happen......if you want to drive it, you need to buy it......
Let's see: 1 CTR per month times 1,044 Honda Dealers times 12 months = 12,524 CTRs annually in the USA, enough for each Civicx member to get 2! Best production number for North America that I've "heard" is 1,000 period. Something's off.

Last edited:

the1dynasty

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's see: 1 CTR per month times 1,044 Honda Dealers times 12 months = 12,524 CTRs annually in the USA! Best production number for North America that I've "heard" is 1,000 period. Something's off.
I doubt every Honda dealership would even get one CTR... And i'm sure the dealership I work for will get more than one... your math is sound and rumors have said its limited... we'll just have to wait for official word on availability...

SpartanSi

Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Let's see: 1 CTR per month times 1,044 Honda Dealers times 12 months = 12,524 CTRs annually in the USA! Best production number for North America that I've "heard" is 1,000 period. Something's off.
Haha....good point....
Might as well forget about it!

thaseint

Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
http://dailysunknoxville.com/2017-h...d-do-260hp-focus-st-golf-gti-beware/920010459

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/hyundai-goes-after-vw-golf-gti-with.html

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a Hyundai; but it looks like the Civic Si will be getting some more competition. A possible 260hp 2.0T hot hatch.

Doesn't look half bad (from what I can tell with the camo) and since the Si likely won't come in hatchback form that could be a dilemma for some buyers.

Can't imagine a 1.5T being able to keep up in this market.

Last edited:

Phosky

Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Interesting. I believe Hyundai has employed an iteration of the Mitsubishi 4B11T for it's 2.0T cars (Sonata 2.0T at least). I wonder if this new car will be any different.