Routing Power Wire for Subwoofer

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
For those of you who have installed a subwoofer in your car, regardless of trim, how did you go about routing the power wire from the battery to the sub (if it's a powered sub) or the amp? I'm planning on feeding it through the grommet located on the left side of the driver area right behind the trunk latch. Besides removing that first panel along the driver seat, has anyone removed the other piece between the driver and passenger doors, as well as by the back seats and the trunk? If so, how? I haven't been able to figure out a safe/easy/smart way of removing those parts to ensure the wire will sit okay.

Pictures would be much appreciated for this. Thanks!

EDIT: Here are some images of what I'm trying to describe, if that helps:

Honda Civic 10th gen Routing Power Wire for Subwoofer IMG_0537.JPG

Trim/panel on driver's seat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Routing Power Wire for Subwoofer IMG_0538.JPG

Trim section between driver door and passenger door.

Honda Civic 10th gen Routing Power Wire for Subwoofer FullSizeRender

Trim section next to/behind rear seats leading to trunk.

Last edited:

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I can't remember the size I think 15 mm for that middle piece in the second picture and then you pop it out. Most of those you just pull firmly to get them out. I used this video to get to the rear deck off

OP
OP
accordingtocivic

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I can't remember the size I think 15 mm for that middle piece in the second picture and then you pop it out. Most of those you just pull firmly to get them out. I used this video to get to the rear deck off
Ya know, that's funny. I've seen that video around YouTube before in the past, but never realized it also showed how to detach the rear seating. Whoo! Thanks. :D

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I removed the driver's seat, driver's lower seatbelt bolt, rear seat cushion, and all trim pieces along the way. The biggest pain was the trim pieces that runs up the side of the rear seat. It was a major pain to get back in place properly.

MurseM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of installing an amp and sub. Here's what I got so far (limited on time lately): I decided to go a little big for the power cable since I'm installing 2 amps (1000W total RMS). Drilled a new hole in firewall with grommet. Cable will run under carpet along driver side sills, under rear bench, into distribution block.

OP
OP
accordingtocivic

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I removed the driver's seat, driver's lower seatbelt bolt, rear seat cushion, and all trim pieces along the way. The biggest pain was the trim pieces that runs up the side of the rear seat. It was a major pain to get back in place properly.
I just tested removal of the back seats, and that wasn't too much of a pain, but the trim by the rear seats seemed pretty easy to take off and put back together... that's leading me to planning on removing the trim by the door, the seatbelt, and the rear seats. I'll probably snap pictures as I remove each section so I have resources in case something God-awful happens.

I'm in the process of installing an amp and sub. Here's what I got so far (limited on time lately): I decided to go a little big for the power cable since I'm installing 2 amps (1000W total RMS). Drilled a new hole in firewall with grommet. Cable will run under carpet along driver side sills, under rear bench, into distribution block.
I don't intend on drilling any holes for any of it. I'll use the grommet right behind the hood release mold, and feed it through the paneling trim on the driver's side to the trunk. Based on the way I plan to set this up, I would think installation could be done in about 1-2 hours by myself (maybe have my dad help feed the power wire through the grommet, that's a little tricky).

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I tried to go through the grommet for the hood release cable like some other people did in a previous thread on here. But I can sure tell you, there is no way a 4 gauge wire will go through. That's for sure. I ended up just drilling a hole right above that one and ran it through there. I couldn't find and my other grommet close that I could use. There was a plug closer to the door but you can't feed the power wire towards the engine bay through that hole.

OP
OP
accordingtocivic

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I tried to go through the grommet for the hood release cable like some other people did in a previous thread on here. But I can sure tell you, there is no way a 4 gauge wire will go through. That's for sure. I ended up just drilling a hole right above that one and ran it through there. I couldn't find and my other grommet close that I could use. There was a plug closer to the door but you can't feed the power wire towards the engine bay through that hole.
I'm gonna be using 8 gauge, which I believe is recommended for the sub I'm installing (P300-10), and that should work fine. I've been doing endless research to make sure everything I've ordered will work for the way I want to hook this system up.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
8 gauge will probably be fine. Not sure what Rockford recommends. My amp required 4 gauge so that's what I ran. There is a thread in here somewhere about it and I ran the power wire the same place they did. There is no need to take seats out unless you want to run it a different route to the back

OP
OP
accordingtocivic

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
8 gauge will probably be fine. Not sure what Rockford recommends. My amp required 4 gauge so that's what I ran. There is a thread in here somewhere about it and I ran the power wire the same place they did. There is no need to take seats out unless you want to run it a different route to the back
I ran my previous wiring setup underneath the seats, worked great for me. Probably gonna do the same this time around. Just a matter of loosening a bolt and removing the clamps. But, we all have our ways, right? ;)

OP
OP
accordingtocivic

accordingtocivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just took the door sills off and ran the cable there. That was the easiest part
That's exactly what I'll be doing. I'm thinking of also taking off the trim leading to the trunk next to the rear seats. Between feeding through the grommet and routing in the sill areas, that'll be the longest process.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Taking the plastic off at the back is fairly easy and it's easy to run the cable. The only part I didn't like about that is the cable comes out in the top part of the trunk inside.
Sponsored