Roughly 50% error rate when flashing with KTuner 1.2

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
It seems like I have a 50/50 chance of success when flashing with KTuner, is this normal? It turns every flash attempt into a 30 minute process: Try to flash, fail. Recover ECU. Try to flash again, fail. Try to receiver ECU, fail. Try to recover ECU, succeed. Try to flash, succeed.

This is obviously very frustrating. It seems to be unrelated to the process of rebooting my car. I can tell that the flash failed as soon as I go to power off the car because I get rapid beeps when I press the start/stop button to power off after a failed flash.

Here's an example. I know immediately that the flash failed because I get rapid beeps when I go to power off.

KTuner 1.2, Windows 10, KTuner software 1.0.7.7
Sponsored

Last edited:

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
No, that is not normal. I've never failed a flash. You might wanna reach out to @KTuner for assistance.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Try contacting support? Looks like you haven't. That should be the first thing anyone having an issue does.

Common interference with flashing... having anti-virus software, low on memory, battery saver modes turned on, and vehicle battery being low.

Recommendations: Restart the laptop. Make sure it's in a normal power mode. Get a battery charger/tender for the vehicle.

OP
OP

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Apologies, your website said that contact options are closed at this time. I figured I'd try to see if it's user error or normal behavior before support re-opens. I will send an e-mail if I still get errors after trying your recommendations.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Apologies, your website said that contact options are closed at this time. I figured I'd try to see if it's user error or normal behavior before support re-opens. I will send an e-mail if I still get errors after trying your recommendations.
No problem. Let me know.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Try contacting support? Looks like you haven't. That should be the first thing anyone having an issue does.

Common interference with flashing... having anti-virus software, low on memory, battery saver modes turned on, and vehicle battery being low.

Recommendations: Restart the laptop. Make sure it's in a normal power mode. Get a battery charger/tender for the vehicle.
I was having the exact same error messages. What fixed my problem was a new cheap windows laptop, instead of my slow MacBook running Windows 10

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Just got a new laptop and wanted to get it hooked up. Put my account info in, connected, KTuner found an update.....Sweet. Went to upload a map with throttle padding change for tomorrow and I just got that exact same issue happening out of the blue. Never had this issue but I'm dead in the water. Car is not running & will no longer even attempt to recover the ECU. Now I cannot even connect to the KTuner. Authenticating just flashes continually.

Tried just about everything but a new install of windows. Might have to go grab the original laptop and see if it will do anything.

I can't even get the KTuner to talk to my laptop or multiple PC's at all when it did before even out of the car. Yellow light on but it has done pretty much every lighting pattern imaginable. My TunerView would take 5-6 connect attempts all of sudden the past week or two instead of just automatically pairing like it did new.

Out of ideas......Gotta be to work in a few hours so I wont even be around to talk to KTuner support! Awh!

**Edit @ 3.35am***
Got my multimeter out and discovered my battery is not very healthy and may have been failing in the crazy heat we've had.
I always put the car on a Battery Tender Junior while I flash/tune and have the laptop plugged in aswell.

Even on a tender the battery can barley hold 9volts........ Luckily TunerView for the Win, I was able to get enough power for long enough to run ECU recovery from the KTuner Menu. Never got the laptop to connect.

Car did start but the lights flickered and she died.

Just crazy the things that happen at the same time. It was 106F+ today so I guess I gotta give that little battery some props.

Hope it's charged in 3 hours I need to be up in. Hopefully flash of my phone again in the morning and worry about it later.

Just glad it didn't die an hour from the house at the track tomorrow night. Hope I can make it!

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Just got a new laptop and wanted to get it hooked up. Put my account info in, connected, KTuner found an update.....Sweet. Went to upload a map with throttle padding change for tomorrow and I just got that exact same issue happening out of the blue. Never had this issue but I'm dead in the water. Car is not running & will no longer even attempt to recover the ECU. Now I cannot even connect to the KTuner. Authenticating just flashes continually.

Tried just about everything but a new install of windows. Might have to go grab the original laptop and see if it will do anything.

I can't even get the KTuner to talk to my laptop or multiple PC's at all when it did before even out of the car. Yellow light on but it has done pretty much every lighting pattern imaginable. My TunerView would take 5-6 connect attempts all of sudden the past week or two instead of just automatically pairing like it did new.

Out of ideas......Gotta be to work in a few hours so I wont even be around to talk to KTuner support! Awh!

**Edit @ 3.35am***
Got my multimeter out and discovered my battery is not very healthy and may have been failing in the crazy heat we've had.
I always put the car on a Battery Tender Junior while I flash/tune and have the laptop plugged in aswell.

Even on a tender the battery can barley hold 9volts........ Luckily TunerView for the Win, I was able to get enough power for long enough to run ECU recovery from the KTuner Menu. Never got the laptop to connect.

Car did start but the lights flickered and she died.

Just crazy the things that happen at the same time. It was 106F+ today so I guess I gotta give that little battery some props.

Hope it's charged in 3 hours I need to be up in. Hopefully flash of my phone again in the morning and worry about it later.

Just glad it didn't die an hour from the house at the track tomorrow night. Hope I can make it!
Your car is a 2018 and it's already having battery issues? Thats really surprising, might wanna get it checked out.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your car is a 2018 and it's already having battery issues? Thats really surprising, might wanna get it checked out.
I swore I saw a lot of people saying these were not very good from the factory and some dealers were actually putting high CCA rated batteries in.

Couldn't find any drains so I'm assuming it was the intense heat yesterday. I always remember how the hottest and coldest days of the year we always had the most cars towed into the dealership for batteries. Really takes a tole on em, can't imagine the under hood temps with 106F+ ambient!

3 hours on the charger and the car starts but all my warning lights are on and every system is disabled. Not sure if I'm in recovery mode or stock, may just need to drive the car a bit to get everything to reset.

However, even my TunerView app stopped communicating with the KTuner and I never got the laptop to sync back up.
Was in way too much pain this morning to try the laptop again and the battery was still not charged up. I just stole my wife's 18' CRV!

Don't think I'm gonna make the track tonight now :(

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I swore I saw a lot of people saying these were not very good from the factory and some dealers were actually putting high CCA rated batteries in.

Couldn't find any drains so I'm assuming it was the intense heat yesterday. I always remember how the hottest and coldest days of the year we always had the most cars towed into the dealership for batteries. Really takes a tole on em, can't imagine the under hood temps with 106F+ ambient!

3 hours on the charger and the car starts but all my warning lights are on and every system is disabled. Not sure if I'm in recovery mode or stock, may just need to drive the car a bit to get everything to reset.

However, even my TunerView app stopped communicating with the KTuner and I never got the laptop to sync back up.
Was in way too much pain this morning to try the laptop again and the battery was still not charged up. I just stole my wife's 18' CRV!

Don't think I'm gonna make the track tonight now :(
It is normal to have a bunch of lights on your dash after a disconnected or drained battery. You have to drive it a bit for the systems to initialize.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is normal to have a bunch of lights on your dash after a disconnected or drained battery. You have to drive it a bit for the systems to initialize.
Yeah, that's kinda what got my attention when I finally got it to start up and got me to look at/diagnosis the battery. Strange thing is I had my trickle charge on it while I was in the car for a whole 5-10 minutes max? Very strange!
Sure enough it was acting like it was dead/very weak.
Would explain KTuners issues hopefully, I was seeing more green lights on the unit so that's good!

My really nice load tester broke last night too while diagnosing! Just not my night/day today! lol

Just not going to have time to make it to the track tonight, I won't even be able to look at it until after 5:00pm CST.

Wish me luck!

**Edit** - E-mailed KTuner for support and crossing my fingers for a charged battery at lunch!

Last edited:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Yikes! It really is crazy how poorly these batteries keep a charge! I am really glad you got up and running again, though.

Recovery always puts you back to factory and driving a bit will alleviate the lights as the modules initialize. You can't start the vehicle in recovery mode because a flash wasn't finished and finalized.

Green blinking status means it's communicating with the ECU appropriately and the ECU is in a normal running mode!

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have maybe a 10% success rate. Same process as you. Flash, fail (beeps), recover, fail, recover, fail, recover, fail, etc etc etc, until finally a lucky win. My car is currently in recovery mode in the parking lot and is continuing to fail as I'm trying to revert to stock to sell this garbage. Not worth the wasted money, stress, and time. After maybe 20 tries, I've only had 2 successful flashes.

Last edited:

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I have maybe a 10% success rate. Same process as you. Flash, fail (beeps), recover, fail, recover, fail, recover, fail, etc etc etc, until finally a lucky win. My car is currently in recovery mode in the parking lot and is continuing to fail as I'm trying to revert to stock to sell this garbage. Not worth the wasted money, stress, and time. After maybe 20 tries, I've only had 2 successful flashes. Excuse my language but, fuck ktuner
I know you're frustrated. I have been there. But are you in contact with KTuner? Their support was incredibly helpful for me and I had a recovery device at my front door in the morning.
Sponsored