Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea its stripped, gotta drill it out!
the impact drill is the reason it stripped, PB'd it for hours and the fucker didnt even budge man
The pblaster doesn’t get to the threads because of how tight on there it is. Get a little punch and bang it counterclockwise
Sponsored

-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
Drilling the screw out was the only thing that worked for me on all four corners.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Why people always choose the most difficult way is baffling.

Update on my research; as Principal Investigator I have 2 research questions.

RQ1: What are the advantages or disadvantages of using retaining screws over stud clips?

RQ2: If there any advantages or disadvantages of using retaining screws, why has Honda chosen to use them?

I've reached out to a friend studying mechanical engineering at UH and she is unsure, but will ask her professors.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I may have your answer here-

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/big-daddy-daves-garage/pull-those-stud-cips

Look at this article and you'll see a claim that American companies using stud clips will machine a recess in the factory wheel mating surface to clear the clip.

So the advantage of using a screw is that you save on machining costs on the wheel, and probably spend less on drilling/tapping a single hole in the flange the rotor rests on. Disadvantage is that you probably take longer on the production line to orient the rotor to the flange with the holes lined up, and then use a screwdriver to install the screw.

Advantage of using the clip is that you can run faster on the production line with a worker grabbing one or two of them and slapping them on, spending less on tools to install the screws (hand tool probably too slow). I doubt either method really cares about the ease of installing aftermarket wheels.

In practice, it wouldn't surprise me if corporate inertia was partially responsible on both sides, but if your emphasis is on simplifying tasks to make the line run as fast as possible, the clip seems better. If your emphasis is on engineering and quality control even if it takes a little longer, then the screw might be better. That is, you might save money that you can't make up by running the line faster because QC work on the rest of the stages won't let you move any faster.

Edit- these are all moderately educated guesses, I've never worked in auto engineering or on a production line. But it seems to be a reasonable interpretation.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag

Look at this article and you'll see a claim that American companies using stud clips will machine a recess in the factory wheel mating surface to clear the clip.

So the advantage of using a screw is that you save on machining costs on the wheel, and probably spend less on drilling/tapping a single hole in the flange the rotor rests on. Disadvantage is that you probably take longer on the production line to orient the rotor to the flange with the holes lined up, and then use a screwdriver to install the screw.

Advantage of using the clip is that you can run faster on the production line with a worker grabbing one or two of them and slapping them on, spending less on tools to install the screws (hand tool probably too slow). I doubt either method really cares about the ease of installing aftermarket wheels.

In practice, it wouldn't surprise me if corporate inertia was partially responsible on both sides, but if your emphasis is on simplifying tasks to make the line run as fast as possible, the clip seems better. If your emphasis is on engineering and quality control even if it takes a little longer, then the screw might be better. That is, you might save money that you can't make up by running the line faster because QC work on the rest of the stages won't let you move any faster.

Edit- these are all moderately educated guesses, I've never worked in auto engineering or on a production line. But it seems to be a reasonable interpretation.
But... my life's work...
What am I supposed to do now?

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Well... see if your more educated friend says I'm full of it or if I'm on the right track? A hypothesis is only the start of the argument, not the end.

Get someone to fab you up a center lock wheel conversion and make it a moot point while we all drool?

Go for a drive on a twisty road and let your awareness of the road, tires, controls and self merge into a single transcendent moment when you nail an apex? Of course, you don't need a reason for that one.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag

It has more to do with the engineering, designing, tooling, and certifying than how long it takes to do on the assembly line. The difference in actual assembly is going to be negligible. I do QC on water heaters, and there are things done that serve no purpose anymore, but to stop doing it means re-certifying and retooling and sometimes redesigning the production process, so it's easier to just keep doing it because it's fractions of a penny vs. hundreds of thousands "R&D".

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Go for a drive on a twisty road and let your awareness of the road, tires, controls and self merge into a single transcendent moment when you nail an apex? Of course, you don't need a reason for that one.
Huh?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well... see if your more educated friend says I'm full of it or if I'm on the right track? A hypothesis is only the start of the argument, not the end.

Get someone to fab you up a center lock wheel conversion and make it a moot point while we all drool?

Dude, I'm definitely doing this.

I'm with Texas A&M Transportation Institute working on a different project.

This will be own side project.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
use that ambition to figure out how to solve climate change or other pressing issues, we believe in you.
Also something we're working on at TTI, not involved in those projects currently but those are certainly number 2 on our list, right under motorist safety.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Also something we're working on at TTI, not involved in those projects currently but those are certainly number 2 on our list, right under motorist safety.
Why so we have such high speeds in Texas if safety is so important? Also Abbott outlawed speed and traffic light cameras so people can pretty much do as they please. It seems to me that personal freedom conflicts with public safety especially in Texas.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Why so we have such high speeds in Texas if safety is so important? Also Abbott outlawed speed and traffic light cameras so people can pretty much do as they please. It seems to me that personal freedom conflicts with public safety especially in Texas.
The theory is, the more time one spends driving on roads the increased likelihood of one getting into an accident. Now, speed does correlate with a higher degree of damage, however, vehicles these days are tremendously safer than when speed limits were researched and set.

Also, speeding itself is a victimless crime. Which the justice system recognizes tax dollars are better spent elsewhere than on purchasing, installing and maintaining speed cameras. In addition to the cost and time of tying up the courts with speeding camera tickets (where most are dismissed anyways) is a waste or tax payer dollars.