Rotor removal not going as planned

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
That stupid little screw that holds the rotor in WILL NOT COME OFFFF!!!! Hit it with PB on both sides, hit it with an impact and still not moving. If it wasn’t such a deep screw itd be stripped by now but luckily it isn’t.
anyone got an idea on how to get it out???
Sponsored

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I'd go with the drill, you don't really need the screw. I think they're used for production line work, where they'd cause a disruption if the rotor fell off and someone had to stop everything and pick it up. Once the wheel gets on and torqued down, there's no way it's going to move.

I've done brake jobs on more than a few cars, and most of the time I don't bother with it. Never had a problem.

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
I'd go with the drill, you don't really need the screw. I think they're used for production line work, where they'd cause a disruption if the rotor fell off and someone had to stop everything and pick it up. Once the wheel gets on and torqued down, there's no way it's going to move.

I've done brake jobs on more than a few cars, and most of the time I don't bother with it. Never had a problem.
That makes sense. I ended up stripping it so I’ll just have to drill it out tomorrow or something.

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
If all else fails, drill it.
Das the move now that I stripped it!!! Broke the Phillips bit in half, went to autozone and got a 134 bit set for one bit ? and that bit ended up teaaaaring the screw apart. Feels bad man.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I Always drill them out, then replace and put a bunch of anti seeze on the new ones for easier removal next time.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I had to drill it and use a bolt extractor.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
and put a bunch of anti seize on the new ones for easier removal next time.
My wife thought that I’d gone soft in the head when I did this on my Civic and her new CR-V right when they came home….

No issues at brake job time.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I maybe thinking the wrong screw but I seem to recall its not a Phillips head but Japanese industrial standard or something like that.
Read a post long time ago guy tore up the screw head taking it out.
It’s a #3 Philips, larger than your usual size bit.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I soaked with PB for hours. Tried a manual impact for an hour. Then used an impact driver and it came right out. That’s one stressful screw!

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Impact driver and hammer.... Brakes 101
Don't drill it out

I'd you don't know what you're doing, please don't attempt repairs without the correct tools. It's only going to cause more problems. I saw this with humility, not as a righteous technician.

For any repairs, make sure you have a firm understanding of the principles of operation (plenty of videos on YouTube and articles across the web). Then, research the procedure on your specific application - year, make, model, and repair.

Attempting repairs then messing things up will piss you off, piss the tech off who has to go back and fix whatever is messed up, and in the end you'll spend more money than just paying a professional to do it.

I bought an impact driver from Harbor Freight years ago, changed hundreds of brakes using it (even use it with stubborn screws on other applications), I haven't had a single problem besides dropping the bit, but I somehow always seem to find it unlike those dmm 10mm sockets.