Rotor recommendations?

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Hey all,
Changed out my brake pads to hawk hps 5.0 earlier this year which have been working pretty well. I’m now looking to upgrade rotors for mostly daily duty and canyon runs, any recommendations? any sense going for slotted/drilled if I’m not going to the track?

I’ve been looking at a couple from power stop on tsp’s website and the stop tech rotors on prl’s website. Anyone give either of these a whirl yet?

thanks!
Sponsored

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OEM Blanks are all youre going to ever need. Slotted/drilled were used for applications that race in the rain. Give the water vapor/steam somewhere to go instead of under the face of the pad.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
It reads like you application is suited for steel or cast iron rotors in solid face or slotted face. The stock rotors have plenty of bite using metallic pads.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have stoptech’s slotted rotors and they’ve been working great. I did a 500 mile break in period (no hard braking at all, just regular driving). I drove it hard through the canyons this morning and they felt great! No brake fade, warping, or squishy brake pedal afterwards. I’d definitely recommend! No squealing or squeaking, either. So they’re pretty solid for DD.

Last edited:

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
If you're trying to upgrade for performance, you're better suited dropping the HPS 5.0 and getting something like EBC Redstuff.

I had the HPS 5.0 on my current Civic Si and I truly was hoping they'd be better than HPS and HP+ that I've tried years ago on my E36 M3. It wasn't. The HPS 5.0 feel wooden and they emit a ton of bad (they're Ferro-carbon material) metallic dust that eats away at not only paint, but also your wheels' finish.

I strongly suggest you drop the HPS 5.0. I wish Performance Friction made something for the Si.

ETA: To answer you original question. The stock rotors don't seem very well suited to the rigors of autocrossing and as such it's easy to infer they'd do about as well as stock S2000 rotors do on S2000s used for track events. That's to say, they would suck a lot. S2000 trackers regularly crack rotors due to lack of thermal mass.

On my Si, I got the rear rotors to be grooved within 15k miles (WTF?!?!) and the front are clearly in need of a lathing after only 30k miles for me. I think it's just that generally there's not even thermal mass in the rotors. They need to be bigger in either diameter or thickness (or both) and no matter what aftermarket rotor, it'd be the same size

S2000: 11.8" front, 11.1" rear
2017 Si: 12.1" front, 11.1" rear
I can't find thicknesses

To fix the thermal mass issue, you need a big brake kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: MGZ
OP
OP

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies!

To summarize - sounds like I don’t need slotted or drilled and should check out stoptech, r1 concepts or stick with OEM. Thermal capacity will be a limiting factor no matter which rotors I pick if they’re the same size as OEM, will need to grab a BBK if that becomes an issue. Also worth checking out EBC for my next set of pads.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies!

To summarize - sounds like I don’t need slotted or drilled and should check out stoptech, r1 concepts or stick with OEM. Thermal capacity will be a limiting factor no matter which rotors I pick if they’re the same size as OEM, will need to grab a BBK if that becomes an issue. Also worth checking out EBC for my next set of pads.
bingo. FYI, the EBC Redstuff is what I run.

Hawk, or Stop Tech, or EBC might not list the correct front pad shape for the Si. They all used to show the Si has the same pad shape as the non-Si. They're very close, but not exactly same. If you're gonna get anything from them, make sure you look for front pad shape 2012 RDX or 2014 RLX. Those 2 Acuras have the same front pad shape as the Si so if they're listed as being for the Si and the RDX/RLX, then it should be right

OP
OP

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
bingo. FYI, the EBC Redstuff is what I run.

Neither Hawk, nor Stop Tech, nor EBC list the correct front pad shape for the Si. They all show the Si has the same pad shape as the non-Si. They'revery close, but not exactly same. If you're gonna get anything from them, make sure you look for front pad shape 2012 RDX or 2014 RLX. Those 2 Acuras have the same front pad shape as the Si
what’s the difference between the different EBC colors/pads? is the red stuff decent for street use too?

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what’s the difference between the different EBC colors/pads? is the red stuff decent for street use too?
yea. Green and Red are essentially the same with the latter a little better suited for aggressive driving. The Yellow is meant to be a track pad that can be used on the street. The Blue is meant to be a dedicated track pad

OP
OP

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So in order of streetability - green, red, yellow, blue. Each gets progressively more aggressive?
Thanks for the Rec, maybe I’ll give those a shot when I switch out the rotors.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So in order of streetability - green, red, yellow, blue. Each gets progressively more aggressive?
Thanks for the Rec, maybe I’ll give those a shot when I switch out the rotors.
yes!

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you're trying to upgrade for performance, you're better suited dropping the HPS 5.0 and getting something like EBC Redstuff.

I had the HPS 5.0 on my current Civic Si and I truly was hoping they'd be better than HPS and HP+ that I've tried years ago on my E36 M3. It wasn't. The HPS 5.0 feel wooden and they emit a ton of bad (they're Ferro-carbon material) metallic dust that eats away at not only paint, but also your wheels' finish.

I strongly suggest you drop the HPS 5.0. I wish Performance Friction made something for the Si.

ETA: To answer you original question. The stock rotors don't seem very well suited to the rigors of autocrossing and as such it's easy to infer they'd do about as well as stock S2000 rotors do on S2000s used for track events. That's to say, they would suck a lot. S2000 trackers regularly crack rotors due to lack of thermal mass.

On my Si, I got the rear rotors to be grooved within 15k miles (WTF?!?!) and the front are clearly in need of a lathing after only 30k miles for me. I think it's just that generally there's not even thermal mass in the rotors. They need to be bigger in either diameter or thickness (or both) and no matter what aftermarket rotor, it'd be the same size

S2000: 11.8" front, 11.1" rear
2017 Si: 12.1" front, 11.1" rear
I can't find thicknesses

To fix the thermal mass issue, you need a big brake kit.
Where did you find the info for the size of the rotors? very interested in finding out myself. Thanks

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
This is based on my experience with other cars before my Si, but another vote for EBC RedStuff. They're very low dust for a performance pad. Sometimes the first couple cold stops they need to get a little heat in them before they reach their full grab, but otherwise totally streetable.

I'm not sure if StopTech makes pads in the correct shape but if they do, I would stay far away from their Sport pads. The braking might be a little better than the EBC Reds but soooo dusty and they leave uneven deposits on the rotors that makes the car feel like it's got warped rotors. Can usually be fixed with a few hard stops but between that and the dust they're too much of a hassle for street pads, at least they were for me. Not a fan.

Slotted rotors look cool and help a little bit with shedding water from between the rotor & pad in the rain. Not a huge performance upgrade but not hurting anything.

Short of a BBK, you can at least upgrade the fluid to something with a higher boiling point. Last time I looked into brake fluid, Wilwood EXP 600+ has the highest temp ratings out there.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where did you find the info for the size of the rotors? very interested in finding out myself. Thanks
Spec sheets
Sponsored