Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Where can i download apk app files?
GOOD Question ...

GOOGLE STORE .. but you may not want to download them direct to the Honda Hacked HU .. having that Google Software on the HU, is not the best Idea.

So 2 options.

(1) Download the APP to your phone .. export it to a flash drive, and then uninstall it from the phone. Install to the Honda HU from the Flash Drive

(2) There is a website that will go fetch Apps from the Google store, and then let you download the App direct from them. (Cannot remember the site -- sorry -- but Google should be able to find it). save to a Flash drive, and then Install from that Flash drive.

I have a old test China head Unit that I use to download and test APPS that I am thinking of putting onto the Honda Unit. I can test them first before committing to installing them on the ROOTED Honda Unit... you always want to be careful what you install; on the Rooted Honda Unit .. potentially a "Bad" app could do a lot of damage to a Rooted Android unit !!

The other advantage of downloading and EXPORTING them (say to a Flash Drive) is that you can keep a collections of APPs that you use, and that work, on the flash drive for future use.
Then if you ever get an update version, and find that newer version has issue that the earlier version did not ( not Uncommon, as the Honda Unit is an old OS, and some new apps will not run correctly on older OS), you can always re-install the older "know to work" Version.
Sponsored

warrior64nd

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2004 G35 6MT
Country flag
what is the min and max value for the PSI gauge? and how you remove unwanted pages?
Sorry for the delayed response, you can set them in the gauge's menu. I chose to hide the scale numbers for appearance purposes. Once you change the clock position, like i did, of the boost gauge it automatically starts at 0. My max is 15 because i like to see the dial fill up. No mater what the number will display regardless of the max and min. In the settings there is setting that says number of display pages you can select 1, 3, and like 5 i think.

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Ex Hatch, Nissan Altima
Country flag
Does honda hack allow the phone button to go to car play/android auto when it is enabled? I think this is a big miss in the original design. Hoping honda hack can fix this...

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
LMAO "shits hard to do with one hand" because your filming that's hilarious! What's the emulator called that you got to run on it? Also ya what's the controller that you got to work?

imaya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2019 LX
Country flag
One last point to add to the setup. By the way I installed Waze & Spotify and everything works perfectly smooth. As Waze require internet, I added Tasker on my Cell Phone to turn on Tethering as soon as it detects my car bluetooth. Results: as soon as I start the car it is connected to internet, no manual intervention required.

Android also have the auto off tethering when not in use so no need to turn it off.

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
GOOD Question ...

GOOGLE STORE .. but you may not want to download them direct to the Honda Hacked HU .. having that Google Software on the HU, is not the best Idea.

So 2 options.

(1) Download the APP to your phone .. export it to a flash drive, and then uninstall it from the phone. Install to the Honda HU from the Flash Drive

(2) There is a website that will go fetch Apps from the Google store, and then let you download the App direct from them. (Cannot remember the site -- sorry -- but Google should be able to find it). save to a Flash drive, and then Install from that Flash drive.

I have a old test China head Unit that I use to download and test APPS that I am thinking of putting onto the Honda Unit. I can test them first before committing to installing them on the ROOTED Honda Unit... you always want to be careful what you install; on the Rooted Honda Unit .. potentially a "Bad" app could do a lot of damage to a Rooted Android unit !!

The other advantage of downloading and EXPORTING them (say to a Flash Drive) is that you can keep a collections of APPs that you use, and that work, on the flash drive for future use.
Then if you ever get an update version, and find that newer version has issue that the earlier version did not ( not Uncommon, as the Honda Unit is an old OS, and some new apps will not run correctly on older OS), you can always re-install the older "know to work" Version.
Honda hack has now added the Google store as an APK to it's latest update.

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
Does anyone have a nice simple weather radar app that they use? The one I use on my phone (Raindar) won't install.

Starks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CR-V EX
Country flag
I've had no luck with radar apps. They're all too slow.

My app setup matches most here. Yalp Store is an absolute must. Removes all the guesswork with API compatibility or filtering out apps that require Play Services (some do but don't really enforce it to the point of being unusable).

And yes, it runs Doom.

HoldTheRice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I run John's SNES Emulator on my head-unit while using a USB SNES Controller to play games while waiting for my son's school to get out.

Crappy Vid:
This is the most boss shit ever, I have one of those buffalo controllers too. Now I gotta do it :D

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the most boss shit ever, I have one of those buffalo controllers too. Now I gotta do it :D
Worth it man. I've killed so much time waiting in my car with it. :headbang:

jspencer89

First Name
Jiles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
It took me a long time to get this work. I finally got Android auto to wireless connect to these head units.

You need to have Android Phone that can do mobile hotspot. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL not rooted.

Please let me know if anybody else has done this. I have used an app called Headunit Reloaded available on the play store.The app has a free trial but normally it is available for $4.99.

I suggest only installing the trial version to test this works for you first.

To get this to work I used Honda hack the latest version.

Enable hotspot for all of these steps.

1. Install Honda hack

2. Install account manager and Google play services. From Honda hack. You will have to restart the radio and login to get it to work.

3. I installed a Google play store APK.The one I had from a long time ago I'm going to try to get it off of the unit and upload it here if anyone is interested. I think I must have installed it via the USB.

4. Install Headunit reloaded from the Playstore on your phone.

5. Open the Android Auto app on your phone and go to the menu and about and tap the version number until developer options are enabled.

6. After developer options are enabled you're going to want tap the three dots on the top right of the screen and turn on head unit server.

You will be prompted on your phone to setup android auto. ( I found deleting the Civic made a faster connection/ easier connection if you get trouble getting the screen to pop up)

Headunit Server and hotspot need to be on upon entering the car for the transition to happen. You need to select the wifi option in Headunit Reloaded for the connect to establish. It will give you a black screen give it a couple seconds.

Here's where this gets tricky I got the Playstore to install the trial but because the full version cost money the headunit said I could install it but it still tried to charge me after I purchased it when I sign in to purchase it again in errors out and tells me I own it already.

I do not condone piracy but I used an APK backup app (Titanium Backup) to backup my paid app and then to send the app to my Google drive. I'm looking for a better workaround. I for some reason also started getting Google play service errors with opening drive to but I was able to quickly tap the APK before the app crashed and I was able to download it.

Something tells me this only worked for me because the play services is telling the app it's been paid for. Otherwise I feel like some failsafe would have been put in place.

If you guys need more info I will update this further. I can do a better write up with a video when I have more time. The developer of Headunit reloaded is still active, I want to see if he can make some adjustments.

Things that I have found while using for a week.

It can freeze sometimes. But when it works it's amazing.

YOU NOW HAVE FULL BLUETOOTH AUDIO CONTROL WHILE USING ANDROID AUTO.

Just hit Home, audio , and sound settings.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Anyone else have some input please let me know.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps) IMG_20190711_182117

Starks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CR-V EX
Country flag
Using Headunit Reloaded for wireless is dumb. Yes, it works, but AAGateway is actually designed for this specifically and preserves the built-in AA functionality. Same developer.

HUR will reduce your ability to mix audio sources (i.e. radio and directions) and take away the nice AA phone call screen. Steering wheel controls may not work properly either.

Plus, you installed HUR using the Play Store rather than through the more ideal XDA Labs. The app is rarely updated on the Play Store to begin with. Play Store and Play Services wreck your head unit and slow it down to a DANGEROUS level especially when backing up. Uninstall them and any updates both apps have ASAP (uninstall from both the Honda Hack uninstall menu and the dedicated Play Services uninstaller). You will not get proper Play Services and paid apps working like you want, so stop trying. Even if you got your license working, it would break again after uninstalling Play Services. Use XDA Labs and Yalp Store for apps. HUR paid licenses work when installed through XDA Labs. You bought the wrong license and they're not transferable. Maybe the dev will honor your purchase. He's usually very understanding.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
The only thing i have on my head unit is the honda hack and it's slow as hell. How do you guys have no lag and such. I just did it yesterday so i dont know if needs some time to get used to this but it's really killing it for me :/

Also how do you clear the messages when you scroll from the top? I got a tire pressure signal yesterday which went away already but on my headunit it still shows the message? I tried to see if there is a clear messages but maybe i overlooked it?
Sponsored