Roof rack / bike rack?

pookscivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Need a way to transport bikes in my Civic Sedan. Is a roof rack the best option? Which one?
Sponsored

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
A couple of companies make hitches for the sedan, to me that's the best way to go because it keeps your car looking better than having a rack on the roof. Also having your bikes on the back of the car is a lot less aero drag on the highway. At least one of the hitches bolts to existing holes, no drilling required.

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
A couple of companies make hitches for the sedan, to me that's the best way to go because it keeps your car looking better than having a rack on the roof. Also having your bikes on the back of the car is a lot less aero drag on the highway. At least one of the hitches bolts to existing holes, no drilling required.
I have been researching this since getting my EX-L. None of the do-it-yourself installs say there are existing holes for a hitch in the Civic frame. Everyone has said they had to drill the holes (not too difficult).
So no, there aren't any strictly bolt on racks yet available. I have a Saris Bones RS rack used previously on 05' Civic EX which is fantastic. Unfortunately, because of the hard to remove little spoiler, it does not fit. The plane old Bones 2 and 3 bike racks will fit. The bones RS does fit on an LX or EX, without the spoiler. Just some ideas, FWIW.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
http://www.civicx.com/threads/hitch...akima-ridgeback-2-bike-rack.3192/#post-101267

'I purchased the DrawTite hitch (#24937) over the Curt Hitch (#C11604) for the 2016 Civic for a couple of distinct reasons. First, it does not require holes to be drilled into the Civic frame for the mounting of the hitch, rather it wedges between the frame end panel and the rear bumper assembly. This approach does require the bottom side of the bumper facia to have a section cut-out for the hitch to drop down just below the bumper facia. This approach however actually provides second reason I favor this receiver over the Curt is that the horizontal bar is also then hidden behind the bumper facia. So the visible footprint of the hitch receiver is only hitch connection.'

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
http://www.civicx.com/threads/hitch...akima-ridgeback-2-bike-rack.3192/#post-101267

'I purchased the DrawTite hitch (#24937) over the Curt Hitch (#C11604) for the 2016 Civic for a couple of distinct reasons. First, it does not require holes to be drilled into the Civic frame for the mounting of the hitch, rather it wedges between the frame end panel and the rear bumper assembly. This approach does require the bottom side of the bumper facia to have a section cut-out for the hitch to drop down just below the bumper facia. This approach however actually provides second reason I favor this receiver over the Curt is that the horizontal bar is also then hidden behind the bumper facia. So the visible footprint of the hitch receiver is only hitch connection.'
Awesome. Many thanks for a no-drill rack that I can easily install myself. Just wondering how hard it is to cut the bumper. We will find out.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
I put a hitch on my Element SC and had to notch the plastic bumper cover but I didn't have to cut any metal. I just marked a square cut line with a pencil and then carefully made the cuts with a carpet knife. It worked great, nice clean cut.
Sponsored