JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Has anyone successfully installed a roll cage that will pass SCCA standards and NOT destroyed the interior of the Type R?
I'd like to get back to SCCA hillclimbs but I'm not ready to gut/destroy the interior of a 2018 Type R quite yet....
Thanks
Sponsored

munos

First Name
Munos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
A roll cage in a streetcar is a bad idea, unless you and your passengers plan to wear a helmet, HANS, and harnesses every time you drive. I think it would be difficult to do without ruining the interior. Street safety concerns aside, it's really hard to get an adequately tall main hoop and front legs to fit underneath the headliner and still have enough room under it for your helmeted head. It's also very difficult to get door bars in without doing some serious surgery to the door cards or removing them completely.
Else,
Or buy a wrecked R and spend the time/money to rebuild it, keep the street car nice with interior. That way you have the best of both worlds. It is really hard to race a street car safely, I am currently going through the same conundrum. Gotta make it a dedicated, safe track car. When I think of hill climbs, that evo that lawn darted off of Pikes Peak comes to mind. Play it safe, cage it if you race it keep the bars out of it if its street driven.

You may be able to find a salvageable Type R chassis and drop a HPD crate motor in it, if you have the time and resources. If not, grab an older model shell and build that out.
Hope that helps mate. Munos, tow truck technician & expert