Rodent Wire Damage

BoofyMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
That rodent tape is useless. It's covered in capsaicin, but rodents don't care at all about spicyness. General purpose gerbal/hamster/rat food from pet stores is filled with dried chiles since it's fun for them to chew on.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kinda late but... we’re just talking about the wiring harness going to the ignition coils? I’d have to look it up but I’d assume this entire harness would cost 10s of dollars to replace. The harness should just sit in that little plastic shell that can be unsnapped to release it with 4 plug ends that go to each coil pack. It’s all just 12v stuff... the voltage doesn’t ramp up until you go from coil pack to spark plug. Not saying the repair wasn’t better than doing $2300 dealer repair... but I can’t wrap my mind around what the dealer is charging for.

OP
OP
Dudemac333

Dudemac333

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Kinda late but... we’re just talking about the wiring harness going to the ignition coils? I’d have to look it up but I’d assume this entire harness would cost 10s of dollars to replace. The harness should just sit in that little plastic shell that can be unsnapped to release it with 4 plug ends that go to each coil pack. It’s all just 12v stuff... the voltage doesn’t ramp up until you go from coil pack to spark plug. Not saying the repair wasn’t better than doing $2300 dealer repair... but I can’t wrap my mind around what the dealer is charging for.
Yeah, I'm not super mechanically inclined beyond standard stuff but the way the dealer described it was they would have to replace the whole wiring harness but didn't go into detail beyond having to replace the whole thing. When pointing it out he made it sound like the plastic shell wasn't just something that could be unsnapped but part of the repair. Which like you said I don't even understand how that could cost $2300 other than the fact the dealer knows comprehensive insurance might cover rodent damage and it's an easy way to make a big hunk of change. As I was leaving the dealer pissed off he asked if I had insurance which leads me to believe they know it's covered and don't mind charging an absurd amount of money.

Even my local guy charging $175 was probably an overcharge because I talked to another mechanic who said it might be around $50, but at the time I just wanted it to be fixed and $175 didn't sound bad compared to $2300 or my deductible of $250.

Edit: When I left I didn't get the paperwork for the breakdown of the work to be done, but I'm going to ask for it now just to see what the exact charges are for and how it ends up being $2300.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I'm not super mechanically inclined beyond standard stuff but the way the dealer described it was they would have to replace the whole wiring harness but didn't go into detail beyond having to replace the whole thing. When pointing it out he made it sound like the plastic shell wasn't just something that could be unsnapped but part of the repair. Which like you said I don't even understand how that could cost $2300 other than the fact the dealer knows comprehensive insurance might cover rodent damage and it's an easy way to make a big hunk of change. As I was leaving the dealer pissed off he asked if I had insurance which leads me to believe they know it's covered and don't mind charging an absurd amount of money.

Even my local guy charging $175 was probably an overcharge because I talked to another mechanic who said it might be around $50, but at the time I just wanted it to be fixed and $175 didn't sound bad compared to $2300 or my deductible of $250.

Edit: When I left I didn't get the paperwork for the breakdown of the work to be done, but I'm going to ask for it now just to see what the exact charges are for and how it ends up being $2300.
I fooled around earlier today and I was able to find a wiring harness kit that is every since wiring harness in the engine bay for a few hundred dollars. I wasn't able to find the individual one... and there's not a lot of pulled parts on ebay because it's still a relatively new car that's getting fixed vice totaled out when it gets in accidents. Still... $30-60 seems a pretty common price for a used on shipped for some cars. 3rd part sales of different makes are under $100. I did find it in a schematic in the FSM... though I couldn't find exactly what I wanted elsewhere. But it's...
Honda Civic 10th gen Rodent Wire Damage 814C219A-E4D3-451F-8130-24B4AAD846FB

OP
OP
Dudemac333

Dudemac333

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: It looks like I did get the quote from the dealership but it was hiding in one of the two stapled packets they gave me...Here’s the two pages of what they said was the issue. Unfortunately it doesn’t break down the pricing, but if labor isn't taxed that means according to how much they charged for sales tax the parts cost $334.

Ultimately I just hope this thread can help someone out and if the dealer tries to screw you over, definitely get a second opinion from a local mechanic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rodent Wire Damage EC93E7E6-151B-4B86-987D-4656BC39CAE5
Honda Civic 10th gen Rodent Wire Damage 3F8FE9BD-3D34-4ACE-B3C9-326AD4DB5DA1

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
No wire damage I can tell. At first I thought it was just rotten foam (at only 8 months? ). Then I saw the poo poo.

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
I know there are a few threads on rodent damage but wanted to share my story.

I just purchased a 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport about a month ago and yesterday went to turn on the car and it started sluggish like the battery was low and all the error codes lit up the display. It still drove OK so I went to work but the error codes did not go away. This morning I drove to the dealership to figure out what is wrong since I only have 350 miles and things like this shouldn't be happening yet...After inspection by the dealer they showed me the damage done by a rodent shown here:

IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

The dealer associate told me that the rodent had eaten too much of the blue wire to be able to splice so they would have to replace the whole thing which would cost $2300. Unfortunately rodent damage is considered an "outside influence" and isn't covered under any warranty. From my brief research it sounded like these wires are made of soy which causes rodents to be attracted to them. I'm all for saving the environment but how can they make critical wires out of something that rodents are attracted to? I've been parking my previous car, 2009 Honda fit, in the same spot for 11 years and never had any rodent issues and now I have a new car for a month and have to drop $2300 and the issue can potentially happen again the next day?

Sorry for the rant but I'm just blown away car manufacturers can do this and not be liable at all.
That rodent tape is useless. It's covered in capsaicin, but rodents don't care at all about spicyness. General purpose gerbal/hamster/rat food from pet stores is filled with dried chiles since it's fun for them to chew on.
[/
My “rodent” foe...squirrels?

First hit...$650; Second hit...$320

Tried Rodent tape...by the time they discovered they didn’t like it there was damage to several wires

Cayenne pepper didn’t do a thing;

nor did Peppermint oil;

nor did two battery operated Ultrasound

Finally wrapped all wires with “scratchbuilding supplies aluminum wire mesh” 1/16”.
$7.95 plus $5.45 S/H

since its aluminum it can be easily cut with scissors and shaped to the wire. I used electrical tape to firmly secure.

(i have no $$ interest in this product but it did solve my chewed wire problem... now if I can get them to stop building a nest in the engine bay as soon as I walk awayâť—?

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Just got my oil changed. The mechanic said he found bread under my skid plate, he said a bunch of it fell out when he went to change the oil. Now I am worried, what precautions should I take at this time?

OP
OP
Dudemac333

Dudemac333

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got my oil changed. The mechanic said he found bread under my skid plate, he said a bunch of it fell out when he went to change the oil. Now I am worried, what precautions should I take at this time?
So it's been about two months since my incident and I'm not sure if I've just been lucky or if anything I did helped, but I took everyone's advice and pretty much did everything to try and prevent more rodent damage and so far it's worked *knock on wood*.
  • I bought peppermint oil and cotton balls and dripped the oil on the balls and placed them around under the hood in little holes and gaps. I tried to place them in areas where they wouldn't damage anything or get too hot.
  • I saw these at Target and decided why not so I placed these under the hood as well. https://www.target.com/p/stay-away-2pk-rodent-repellant/-/A-50943674
  • There are a lot of mixed reviews on the battery powered animal repellent LED strobe light/ultrasound devices but I also bought one of those and have it under my hood.
  • I park my car in the driveway and my mechanic who fixed my wiring said to pull the car in backwards so the hood is more out in the middle of the driveway away from any walls.
  • I also make sure my porch light stays on all night to help keep the area somewhat lit.
None of these things is really inconvenient and I don't mind if it's overkill to make sure this doesn't happen again. The only things I maintain are refreshing the peppermint oil once in a while and making sure the batteries work in the ultrasound device.

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
foe...squirrels?

First hit...$650; Second hit...$320

Tried Rodent tape...by the time they discovered they didn’t like it there was damage to several wires

Cayenne pepper didn’t do a thing;

nor did Peppermint oil;

nor did two battery operated Ultrasound

Finally wrapped all wires with “scratchbuilding supplies aluminum wire mesh” 1/16”.
$7.95 plus $5.45 S/H

since its aluminum it can be easily cut with scissors and shaped to the wire. I used electrical tape to firmly secure.

(i have no $$ interest in this product but it did solve my chewed wire problem... now if I can get them to stop building a nest in the engine bay as soon as I walk awayâť—?

JumBie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So it's been about two months since my incident and I'm not sure if I've just been lucky or if anything I did helped, but I took everyone's advice and pretty much did everything to try and prevent more rodent damage and so far it's worked *knock on wood*.
  • I bought peppermint oil and cotton balls and dripped the oil on the balls and placed them around under the hood in little holes and gaps. I tried to place them in areas where they wouldn't damage anything or get too hot.
  • I saw these at Target and decided why not so I placed these under the hood as well. https://www.target.com/p/stay-away-2pk-rodent-repellant/-/A-50943674
  • There are a lot of mixed reviews on the battery powered animal repellent LED strobe light/ultrasound devices but I also bought one of those and have it under my hood.
  • I park my car in the driveway and my mechanic who fixed my wiring said to pull the car in backwards so the hood is more out in the middle of the driveway away from any walls.
  • I also make sure my porch light stays on all night to help keep the area somewhat lit.
None of these things is really inconvenient and I don't mind if it's overkill to make sure this doesn't happen again. The only things I maintain are refreshing the peppermint oil once in a while and making sure the batteries work in the ultrasound device.
Thank you very much. I will try to do as many of these things as I can. I will also try and see if I can get that aluminum wire mesh Whiting087 quoted if I start to notice they are congregating in the engine bay. Thank you guys!

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
Thank you very much. I will try to do as many of these things as I can. I will also try and see if I can get that aluminum wire mesh Whiting087 quoted if I start to notice they are congregating in the engine bay. Thank you guys!
Personally I think it better to be proactive (use mesh now) rather than reactive (possibly after expensive damage was done). But your car; your call. Good luck.
FYI... located a better source for the mesh wire (16 x 20; $10.24 inc shipping). Www.morezmore.com out if PA...also via eBay. Item “M00345
Sponsored