ale99llamas

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 Rallye Red
Country flag
Anyone else getting the same issue? Happens only when going in reverse and I am not even pressing the brakes.
Is it a stone/rock in the brake ?
Any luck with an easy fix without removing the wheel ?

Sponsored

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
yes, it has happened to me twice. definitely a rock. most likely will need to remove the wheel to reach in there.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Two things I've done, on different occasions, that did the trick. Quick forward and reverse and jamming on the brakes cleared it once. The other time I used a long prybar to gently tap on the heatshield and push it away from the rotor and the stone dropped out. Obviously it'll depend on how badly it's wedged in there, but you can try these to see if it does the trick.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
the big ones you have to remove the wheel to get it they basically sit on top of the caliper mounting ear resting and they bounce around when moving it sucks going to 18s greatly reduced it but you will still get them lol i got one right now thats making all sorts of noises when going in reverse i got to pull the wheel off this weekend and get it

OP
OP
ale99llamas

ale99llamas

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 Rallye Red
Country flag
Well it was this damn pebble/stone. And it sure was hard to get as it was close to the brake caliper and laying on a flat surface.

Had to remove the wheel. Push the dust shield back a bit to reach it and push it out with needle nose pliers.

It’s nice to finally pull out of a parking lot without sounding like an aluminum can tearing up your brake and suspension systems.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rock/Stone in the Brakes (Video) 85F6F866-27C5-4B19-87B6-AF6F971A7F99

Honda Civic 10th gen Rock/Stone in the Brakes (Video) 384D997E-D879-4256-8EEA-6F204CA30E39

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
That has happened to me as well, and in the same place (resting on flat portion the caliper). I used a probe pick to dislodge it first, which caused it to bounce/fall on the caliper, and then I used an extended zip-tie to push it out. These tires are so sticky and pick-up pea gravel so easily.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a pressure washer, try spraying the rotor, caliper and pads really well. That might clear it. Sometimes it’s an accumulation of brake dust.

Fk8Desu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '13 Acura TL SHAWD, '12 Acura RDX, '05 Acura TSX
Country flag
I've been to the dealership to get rocks removed but for them to get right back in on the way home. I've taken off my wheels and gotten so accustomed to removing the wheels and pads from the brembos that I can do it my sleep.

It's just frustrating whenever I brake the squeels come back but only right before I give the final pressure to stop completely, not just when I press my brakes. I thought it could have attributed to my pads being glazed? I resurfaced my pads but still having the same issue. It sucks that the roads around me are paved, but the outer boarders are gravel, so people who veer off road (which is common in this area) bring back the gravel onto the roads, etc.

It's just really embarrassing to stop at a light and announce to the whole world and their mother. I apologize for sounding like I'm bitching but I have no where else to do it. Dealership told me it's a common issue. Almost thinking about trading in the car...

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brake squeal is the absolute worst. So annoying and embarrassing for the car to make that god awful sound.

I experienced it 5-6 times during the first several months of ownership. Same thing, I took it to then dealership to fix. Sometimes they found rocks, other times they said the brakes were just dirty.

The issue got much better after picking up a high volume pressure washer and making sure to spray the brake pads really well at each wash.

It appears to be completely resolved ever since I switched out the front rotors and pads for Girodiscs. Much less brake dust and they don’t have the deep grooves the OEMs have.

Before throwing in the towel, would highly suggest trying the above cleaning method along with switching to another front rotor and pad combo. Doesn’t necessarily need to be Girodisc because they are abit pricey... but I can confirm from my experience they work good and no squeal since they have been installed and there is a lot of gravel, dirt and rocks at my work. Much less brake dust also.

I've been to the dealership to get rocks removed but for them to get right back in on the way home. I've taken off my wheels and gotten so accustomed to removing the wheels and pads from the brembos that I can do it my sleep.

It's just frustrating whenever I brake the squeels come back but only right before I give the final pressure to stop completely, not just when I press my brakes. I thought it could have attributed to my pads being glazed? I resurfaced my pads but still having the same issue. It sucks that the roads around me are paved, but the outer boarders are gravel, so people who veer off road (which is common in this area) bring back the gravel onto the roads, etc.

It's just really embarrassing to stop at a light and announce to the whole world and their mother. I apologize for sounding like I'm bitching but I have no where else to do it. Dealership told me it's a common issue. Almost thinking about trading in the car...

Fk8Desu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '13 Acura TL SHAWD, '12 Acura RDX, '05 Acura TSX
Country flag
Brake squeal is the absolute worst. So annoying and embarrassing for the car to make that god awful sound.

I experienced it 5-6 times during the first several months of ownership. Same thing, I took it to then dealership to fix. Sometimes they found rocks, other times they said the brakes were just dirty.

The issue got much better after picking up a high volume pressure washer and making sure to spray the brake pads really well at each wash.

It appears to be completely resolved ever since I switched out the front rotors and pads for Girodiscs. Much less brake dust and they don’t have the deep grooves the OEMs have.

Before throwing in the towel, would highly suggest trying the above cleaning method along with switching to another front rotor and pad combo. Doesn’t necessarily need to be Girodisc because they are abit pricey... but I can confirm from my experience they work good and no squeal since they have been installed and there is a lot of gravel, dirt and rocks at my work. Much less brake dust also.
I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely give it a try, at least the power washing portion. Just doesn't sit right with me that the issue is so common and yet Honda is not announcing a fix. I would rather not spend additional money to fix an issue that shouldn't even be present in the first place.

Thanks again

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Had this on my Si when I first got it as well. Was really annoying and sounds just like you describe it lol

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

What brake pads did you pair with the Girodisc rotors? Did you also replace the rear rotors and pads?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Front Girodisc rotors are paired with Girodisc SS pads.

Rears are still OEM with Girodisc Magic pads. Would have gone SS also but they weren’t available at the time. The SS pads are street pads.

What brake pads did you pair with the Girodisc rotors? Did you also replace the rear rotors and pads?

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Yeah I love when this happens. Makes you feel real cool when your pulling out of a parking lot with people everywhere staring

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
Yeah I love when this happens. Makes you feel real cool when your pulling out of a parking lot with people everywhere staring
They are not staring at the car due to the sound, they are staring because they think someone nearby is filming Fast and the Furious #27 and you are the star.
Sponsored

Last edited: