Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
+1 on the PPF.
We’ve had it since new on our Forester’s and Odyssey’s hood and fenders.
Learned over time where else it should have been applied.
This time around with the Touring, I had it done on the front bumper, A pillars and roof too.
Sponsored

Testudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch exl
Country flag
I hear most Asian cars in general have thinner coat of paint, clear etc.
If you use and paint thickness gauge, Asian cars avg around 4-6 microns. The chevys and German cars are like 7-8.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear most Asian cars in general have thinner coat of paint, clear etc.
If you use and paint thickness gauge, Asian cars avg around 4-6 microns. The chevys and German cars are like 7-8.
None of which matters against a stone. It will chip paint no matter how thick it is. I had an '03 M5 that got a ton of rock chips.

Testudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch exl
Country flag
It does matter for ppl who plan to do wet sanding, compound and polish to fix the rock chips. I would not use 1000grit if the thickness is measuring 4-5 micro. It wouldn’t take much to burn through the clear.

None of which matters against a stone. It will chip paint no matter how thick it is. I had an '03 M5 that got a ton of rock chips.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about paint thickness numbers, but I can tell you about my experience with the paint on the 10th gen. It's hot garbage.

I'm an old guy and have driven American, Japanese and Korean cars. I've never had a car who's paint chips so easily. I get it, new regulations require softer paint. Yada, yada, yada. But these cars aren't even up to the paint quality standards I had on my Hyundai and Kia. Pretty much every couple weeks I see a new small chip or light scratch.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
First week of ownership i ppf the entire front end(full front ppf) its worth the cost.

But to be honest japanese cars have had thin paint for decades.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I can confirm that even if you get the full front PPF someone rocks will find that little area that isnt covered. I wish I would have asked/payed extra to get it wrapped under the front of the hood. Ive got this guy, one right on the roof infront of the sunroof and looks like the shark fin got hit as well. Ive got 1400 miles on the car. Starting to wonder why I bothered to pay extra for the pearl white.
Honda Civic 10th gen Rock chips on 2018 Civic SI Sedan 20210824_183427

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It does matter for ppl who plan to do wet sanding, compound and polish to fix the rock chips. I would not use 1000grit if the thickness is measuring 4-5 micro. It wouldn’t take much to burn through the clear.
Why on earth would you attempt to fix rock chips by buffing them out? Unless they are VERY superficial, most rock chips are through the paint. You need to repaint to fix rock chips.

Testudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch exl
Country flag
Why on earth would you attempt to fix rock chips by buffing them out? Unless they are VERY superficial, most rock chips are through the paint. You need to repaint to fix rock chips.
I meant you would buff out the wet sanding marks.
Sponsored