Road trip - spare tire -

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So I'm going to Colorado later this month and probably taking the Type R. While I tried to source a spare, I was unsuccessful. My idea is this -

Currently running NSX wheel setup with hub centric rings

For the road trip I was going to put on my stock wheels, then if I got a flat I would have one NSX wheel along as a spare. If I got a flat I would ensure I only ran the NSX wheel on the back of the car, ensuring 100% same wheels front/front. I feel this would allow me to safely use an NSX wheel as a road trip spare without fear of harming anything.

Does this logic track / sound good to the better wheel minds than me? :) Thanks all-
Sponsored

Mufasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just got done doing a ~2100 mile RT road trip to Portland, ME from Charlotte, NC. Let's just say I wish I had the spare! I think keeping the NSX wheels on for the drive will be better as it will be easier to get a 19" tire than an OEM tire. Would probably be a more comfortable drive too. I had a blowout on my 18" setup three days before making the drive and had to get towed to a shop for the tire since I don't have a matching 5th wheel/tire spare.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Currently running NSX wheel setup with hub centric rings

For the road trip I was going to put on my stock wheels, then if I got a flat I would have one NSX wheel along as a spare.

Does this logic track / sound good to the better wheel minds than me? :) Thanks all-
Sounds OK, but why not run the NSX wheels on the car and use one of the OEM wheels/tires as a spare?
Seems like less work.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Can I just say that there wasnt a road I took in Colorado that didnt have an amazing view of some sort. I was told that the roads were shitty, but I didnt enounter any significantly bad roads outside of the roads towards the summit of Mt. Evans.

I went from CoS, to Fairplay, to Breckenridge, blackhawk, and all the way up to Winterpark/Estes Park. The most amazing drive ive taken.

Youre gonna have some fun.

also, I would use the NSX wheels in the event the shitty OEM wheels get bent on something.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds OK, but why not run the NSX wheels on the car and use one of the OEM wheels/tires as a spare?
Seems like less work.
Just so my road trip partner doesn't sweat dinging a wheel more than anything lol.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sounds good just throw NSX wheel in trunk if you don't mind swapping back to factory wheels to prevent any damage during trip.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
use the nsx wheels you dont want your oems bending
Really thought most would want me to preserve the NSX over the stock wheels lol. Odd.

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Really thought most would want me to preserve the NSX over the stock wheels lol. Odd.
just my opinion but i drive on regamasters for road trips and have no issues, i wouldnt want to have my oems bend (they already have hence why i got rid of them), and have to change them out on the side of the highway when i can have peace of mind riding on 18s with some meat or in your case some nice wheels

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
just my opinion but i drive on regamasters for road trips and have no issues, i wouldnt want to have my oems bend (they already have hence why i got rid of them), and have to change them out on the side of the highway when i can have peace of mind riding on 18s with some meat or in your case some nice wheels
Ah good point.
Sponsored